+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Credit To Joe Bennett.

Credit To Joe Bennett.

For making that run with only five minutes of normal time to play, in those conditions and still showing those levels of fitness and energy during that period in the game, what a cross and what a finish! Joe gets a bit of stick for his positional play at times and he does have this bad habit of not being aware of runners (His defending wasn't great for their goal) Although well done to Bennett for showing great character and making that run.

Re: Credit To Joe Bennett.

Most of us I'm sure were settling for the draw.
    Fair play to JB and also to Mick McCarthy for allowing him the freedom to do just that.

I must say though that it does help with the formation we seem to have adopted, having the three centre halves allows our full back to push on.
    I wasn't a fan initially to be honest but, even if a bit fortuitously last night, it seems to be working.
    Again, credit to Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Most of us I'm sure were settling for the draw.
    Fair play to JB and also to Mick McCarthy for allowing him the freedom to do just that.

I must say though that it does help with the formation we seem to have adopted, having the three centre halves allows our full back to push on.
    I wasn't a fan initially to be honest but, even if a bit fortuitously last night, it seems to be working.
    Again, credit to Mick.
    Yeah, turns into a back five when we're defending, in theory! It does look a little crowded in that central position, we've three big lads in there, it's like a human wall! I think that Mick is trying to concentrate on clean sheets, although i do worry when we face teams that are prepared to play through us more. We can defend, but we have big issues in retaining the ball at the back.

Good to see both goals from open play, the passes that set up both goals were top notch with finishes to match.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    For making that run with only five minutes of normal time to play, in those conditions and still showing those levels of fitness and energy during that period in the game, what a cross and what a finish! Joe gets a bit of stick for his positional play at times and he does have this bad habit of not being aware of runners (His defending wasn't great for their goal) Although well done to Bennett for showing great character and making that run.
    More credit should go to Josh Murphy for putting it on a plate for him! Joe missed a sitter in our last match but wing back does seem to suit him rather than fullback. Morrison seems to struggle in a back three when someone take him on with pace? He and Flint are very similar players and we struggled with this formation earlier when Harris tried it out! We’ll see if it works against a side that has quick wingers!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    More credit should go to Josh Murphy for putting it on a plate for him! Joe missed a sitter in our last match but wing back does seem to suit him rather than fullback. Morrison seems to struggle in a back three when someone take him on with pace? He and Flint are very similar players and we struggled with this formation earlier when Harris tried it out! We’ll see if it works against a side that has quick wingers!
    Yup, Murphy put the ball on a blade of grass for Bennett, and in difficult conditions, although without the hard work of Bennett in committing himself forward, when a draw would probably have been acceptable, then Murphy wouldn't have had that option. I'm concerned about our central three, it appears Mick has decided that size and presence is the order of the day, and i do think that we need someone in there who can show some comfort on the ball, a player with a bit more composure and who has the ability to move forward with the ball, a better footballer.

Yup, Murphy put the ball on a blade of grass for Bennett, and in difficult conditions, although without the hard work of Bennett in committing himself forward, when a draw would probably have been acceptable, then Murphy wouldn't have had that option. I'm concerned about our central three, it appears Mick has decided that size and presence is the order of the day, and i do think that we need someone in there who can show some comfort on the ball, a player with a bit more composure and who has the ability to move forward with the ball, a better footballer.
    If we had someone to slot in for him where he is at present, Ng could be that ‘comfortable on the ball’ central defender, I’m very impressed by him so far.

Yeah, turns into a back five when we're defending, in theory! It does look a little crowded in that central position, we've three big lads in there, it's like a human wall! I think that Mick is trying to concentrate on clean sheets, although i do worry when we face teams that are prepared to play through us more. We can defend, but we have big issues in retaining the ball at the back.
    Without a doubt we were leaking too many soft goals under Harris and I think it was obvious that needed addressing urgently.
    It isn't pretty but picking points up by a no nonsense approach is order if the day over style, short term anyway.

NG is quality and who knows, if we'd have had him at the start of the season under Harris, instead of Bacuna (no slight on the latter) filling in, perhaps we'd still be challenging.

It is a worry though as we still allowed Rotherham quite a few opportunities to breach our defensive wall.
    Hopefully Mick has the answers.

He had a free header last week so obviously allowed to get up there which is good to see.

Bennett gets a lot of stick, some fair, some harsh but I think he's a decent left back and wingback may end up suiting him even more.

Bennett is a tidy player, he gets far too much stick on here and off our fans. Bagan and Bennett reminds me a lot of Declan John and Scott Malone. Malone is now playing in the Championship while John is at Bolton, so that went well... For what it's worth, I'd be surprised if Bagan drops down to that level, he looks a much better full back than John ever was.

A few times with Bennett, I'd just love him to put a cross in though, especially when Moore is at the back post. A few times last night Moore made about 4 runs expecting the cross and neither him, Ralls or Ojo put it in and the move came to nothing.

Mention of Bagan makes me think that in a season or two, he could be the technically sound centreback we need to get the best out of three at the back. In the short term, I'd also have a look at Pack in that area in a Development team game or if the first team ever got three or four goals up with about twenty minutes to go.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Mention of Bagan makes me think that in a season or two, he could be the technically sound centreback we need to get the best out of three at the back. In the short term, I'd also have a look at Pack in that area in a Development team game or if the first team ever got three or four goals up with about twenty minutes to go.
    Yes, I think Pack, who seems a bit cumbersome and slow when played in the midfield, does show a bit more composure on the ball and could be an asset in a kind of sweeping role.
    The current three are all very similar with obvious aerial attributes but, without trying to be too unfair, the ball at their feet akin to a hot potato.

Joe Bennett,the only thing whiter than the snow last night were his teeth.Probably dazzled their keeper as he came in to score.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Joe Bennett,the only thing whiter than the snow last night were his teeth.Probably dazzled their keeper as he came in to score.
    Compare the difference between the modern day footballer's Hamsteads with their implants and one of yesteryear.

JB looks like gnasher out of the Beano (or maybe the Dandy?) whereas old Dai Davies, with his missing dentures, was more like Plug from the bash Street kids.
    (no disrespect meant Dai )