+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Whisky Drinkers On Here?

Any Whisky Drinkers On Here?

Over the past few years I've grown fond of a dram, and particularly single malts. I want to start a collection but just dont have the space. I'm not in to the really expensive stuff (or at least haven't got any), but currently have:

Glenmorangie Original 10YO
    Glenmorangie Lasanta (Sherry Cask) 12YO
    Lagavulin 8YO
    Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14YO

My fave is the Balvenie. I drink it straight, as I don't get 'the water thing'

Anyone got a collection, or particular favorites?

Re: Any Whisky Drinkers On Here?

My favourite is Johnny Walker Black Label but I do like Bells.
    I also get the odd bottle of Highland Black from Aldi.
    Best value for money malt IMO is Ben Bracken Islay from Lidl.

Balvenie double wood 12 year old

Highland Park Dragon Legend

A nice cheap blended Whiskey is Highland Black from Aldi £14

Yes sir.

I'm a fan of Islay whisky although happy to drink anything decent.

Currently have 7 bottles including....

Famous Grouse - for visitors who dont know any better
    Jamesons - Mother in laws fave

Then the proper drops....

Tamnavulin - Was a gift, not tried yet
    Bunnahabhain - Also unopened gift
    Bowmore 12 - Got a taste for this when I was in Edinburgh. My session whisky
    Laphroag Quarter Cask - Not for the faint hearted
    Ardbeg 10 - My personal favourite. Full taste and yet smooth

No water here either.
    Have steamed the inside of the glass over the mouth of the kettle on occasion to warm the glass.

I’ve tried to force myself to like it. Low in carbs and cals compared to beer, wine etc so it’s not as bad.

I’ve tried them all, single malt blended whatever. I’ve got Tamnavulin, Glenmorangie and Jack Daniels single malt still in the cupboard

I just find it straight/with water absolutely disgusting. In a coffee cream, with Coca Cola or in a sour with lemon juice I love it, but on its own... Nuh!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Forgot to add, as I haven’t got any in the house at the moment, but my favourite is BUSHMILLS IRISH. Absolutely beautiful. Great trip around the distillery as well. Got absolutely bolloxed

I quite like the blends too, chivas regal is good, i'll need to try the Aldi one. I like a Jamesons, i think my next will be the Ardbeg Uigeadail, although its stupidly strong at 54%. If youve not seen it this is a good site with some differing reviews on each product:

https://www.masterofmalt.com/

A nice smooth single malt is Glen Moray

My Dad still says the only thing whisky is good for is cleaning paint brushes ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Over the past few years I've grown fond of a dram, and particularly single malts. I want to start a collection but just dont have the space. I'm not in to the really expensive stuff (or at least haven't got any), but currently have:

Lagavulin 8YO

I've drifted to bourbon recently. At the moment sipping a Wild Turkey - with just a couple of drops of water. The tiniest drop of water starts a chemical reaction which releases additional flavours from the whisky. Distillers themselves always add a drop or two when they drink their own stuff..

Lagavulin 8YO

Laphroig
    Smokehead (which is really peaty)

Also partial to Auchentoshan

Highland Black is Whisky and not Whiskey

Just finished a bottle of Dalwhinnie winters gold , beautiful whiskey . Visited the Distillery whilst doing a walking holiday in Scotland recently.
    Penderyn Celt another superb single malt , produced just up the road from here....

Jura 10 year old single malt .. not for me . too peaty ..

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Highland Black is Whisky and not Whiskey
    Actually, the only one I mentioned, that is a Whiskey, is Bushmills, from Ireland.
    All the others mentioned in this thread, are Whisky’s.

Both spellings of the word, whiskey and whisky, are correct. ... If you're talking about a drink that's been made in Scotland, Canada, or Japan, use the spelling without the e—whisky. When referring to drinks distilled in the United States or Ireland, use the e—whiskey.
    www.grammarly.com › blog › whis...

Keen on single malt Speyside whisky myself.
    Worked on a few distilleries in the area treating their water.
    Great place to work with great people.

Keen on Aberlour 12 year.
    Had 18 year but couldn’t justify the extra cost.

Macallan 12 year double cask is great, well James Bond does drink Macallan.

Find peaty whisky difficult to drink and steer clear from it these days.

Actually, the only one I mentioned, that is a Whiskey, is Bushmills, from Ireland.

Both spellings of the word, whiskey and whisky, are correct. ... If you're talking about a drink that's been made in Scotland, Canada, or Japan, use the spelling without the e—whisky. When referring to drinks distilled in the United States or Ireland, use the e—whiskey.
    That was precisely my point

I will try most single malts and which one I get depends on what deal is on at the time.
    Prices vary hugely I've found and it's good to check out the latest offers in your local supermarkets.
    They need to err on the sweet side though, can't be doing those peat smoked malts like Talisker.
    In 20 years maybe i will try them again as they reckon your palette changes with age.

Bourbons and blendeds for guests and those, as someone else mentioned, who don't know better LOL, though I don't mind a bells or teachers with coke if pushed.

Currently have Cardhu 12yo and had a Tamnavulin double cask gift.

The Peatier, the better for me.
    I love Islay Malts and also Talisker.

My drink of choice....

Lagavulin 16 is my go to, and anything Islay is normally great. It’s the strong peaty flavor I love... does make it difficult to taste more subtle malts in the same session though

I discovered a really fantastic new one about 6 months ago Bruichladdich Port Charlotte Heavy Peated Islay... its 50%... the fumes are amazing ... it almost evaporates as it hits your tongue. Highly highly recommended.

Bourbon has caught malt up for me in recent years... there are some incredible ones to explore... I’m really enjoying Michter’s Sour Mash at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I've drifted to bourbon recently. At the moment sipping a Wild Turkey - with just a couple of drops of water. The tiniest drop of water starts a chemical reaction which releases additional flavours from the whisky. Distillers themselves always add a drop or two when they drink their own stuff..
    Try Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve you will not be disappointed.

Only a philistine would add anything to a single malt whisky/whiskey, and that includes water.
    Our very own Penderyn single malt, distilled here in Wales, is one of the best.
    Jura, Kilchoman and Loch Lomand are other favourites of mine.

Lagavulin 8YO

Too right!
    The only thing I add to a glass of whisky (with "e" or not) is...
    more whisky!

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post

Atandard or 101? Lovely stuff.

International

Not true. Jameson's is not whisky. And all the others mentioned on here don't belong to whisky either

International

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Not true. Jameson's is not whisky. And all the others mentioned on here don't belong to whisky either
    Wild Turkey and JD are also clearly not whisky but turkey is wonderful. Drank my frst half bottle of it on Christmas day 1972 in Berlin , and with the beer too got hammered

Quote Originally Posted by The Gifaffe View Post
    Yes sir.

I'm a fan of Islay whisky although happy to drink anything decent.

Currently have 7 bottles including....

Famous Grouse - for visitors who dont know any better
    Jamesons - Mother in laws fave

Then the proper drops....

Tamnavulin - Was a gift, not tried yet
    Bunnahabhain - Also unopened gift
    Bowmore 12 - Got a taste for this when I was in Edinburgh. My session whisky
    Laphroag Quarter Cask - Not for the faint hearted
    Ardbeg 10 - My personal favourite. Full taste and yet smooth

No water here either.
    Have steamed the inside of the glass over the mouth of the kettle on occasion to warm the glass.
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask....had a bottle for Christmas. "Phenolic" comes to mind. It's an acquired taste even amongst those who know their malts. Probably good at killing viruses in the throat though. I'll persevere.
    Lagavulin 16yo is a favourite, otherwise.

Famous Grouse with Pepsi Max.

Sorted.

I don't spend on Single Malts or posh stuff as it would still get the Pepsi treatment.

I'm amazed that posters claim to be whiskey 'experts' and have bottles at home.

My son bought me a nice Laphrie recently that lasted ten days. My wife is heavy-handed when it comes to pouring liquor (wouldn't last a day if she was a barmaid), so I always ask her to pour the drinks.