Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
It’s more than “just platforms” now though.
It’s absolutely Terrifying/Exhilarating.

This will surely go down as one of the most spectacular interview/predictions ever.

https://youtu.be/LaHcOs7mhfU
Thanks for sharing that video, never seen it before. Perceptive and prescient fella.

It reminded me that I thought he sold his rights for future royalties for a decent wad in the 90s, which to some must have felt a risky one off payment in place of a steady longer tail of royalty payments. My memory wasn’t quite right, but the “Bowie bonds” that were issued (as much as I can work out) felt like a way to maximise when it appears he seemed to cotton on to which way the winds of the 21st century were blowing.

Come across this quote from the early 00s:

“The absolute transformation of everything that we ever thought about music will take place within 10 years, and nothing is going to be able to stop it. I see absolutely no point in pretending that it’s not going to happen. I’m fully confident that copyright, for instance, will no longer exist in 10 years, and authorship and intellectual property is in for such a bashing.”

“Music itself is going to become like running water or electricity,” he added. ”So it’s like, just take advantage of these last few years because none of this is ever going to happen again. You’d better be prepared for doing a lot of touring because that’s really the only unique situation that’s going to be left. It’s terribly exciting. But on the other hand it doesn’t matter if you think it’s exciting or not; it’s what’s going to happen.”