+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racism, Hatred in Football

Racism, Hatred in Football

With the latest onset of abusive via ocial media sites , from racism to death threats and homephobic insults to wards Black and white people, isn't it time that footballers as a unit now make a similar stance as tthd yaking the knee protest and simply stop using these abusive platforms that generate such nastiness .

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Re: Racism, Hatred in Football

IMO Until law enforcement agencies have access to the accounts of these people they will continue to take advantage of the anonymity.

I guess that a lot of the trolls are young kids and a chunk of the others are borderline sociopaths who need help.

Of course as you note anybody in the public eye don’t have to use these platforms.

its far too safe for people to write / post stuff they would never say face to face in the street or pub

if you wouldnt say it to the persons face, then dont post it online

Government need to hit them with mega fines otherwise they'll never clean up their platforms, every time this hits the News they come out with the same old bull and never actually do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    its far too safe for people to write / post stuff they would never say face to face in the street or pub

To some extent that is true but some people would still say shit face to face. And even if they don't and only say it online, it shows a racist sentiment that can be acted upon covertly in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    With the latest onset of abusive via ocial media sites , from racism to death threats and homephobic insults to wards Black and white people, isn't it time that footballers as a unit now make a similar stance as tthd yaking the knee protest and simply stop using these abusive platforms that generate such nastiness .
    Is the answer for them to be driven off by the small number of people who abuse them?

This doesn't seem like the solution to me.

It’s more than “just platforms” now though.
    It’s absolutely Terrifying/Exhilarating.

This will surely go down as one of the most spectacular interview/predictions ever.

https://youtu.be/LaHcOs7mhfU

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Is the answer for them to be driven off by the small number of people who abuse them?

This doesn't seem like the solution to me.
    I'm suggesting if every footballer in the UK stopped using the platform as a protest its effect would be noticed and perhaps lead to other footballers or sportsman around the world following their protest as we have seen in taking the knee , I find it strange they use these very same social platforms alongside users who incite hatred, racism and homephobic statements .

I'm suggesting if every footballer in the UK stopped using the platform as a protest its effect would be noticed and perhaps lead to other footballers or sportsman around the world following their protest as we have seen in taking the knee , I find it strange they use these very same social platforms alongside users who incite hatred, racism and homephobic statements .
    What would having all sports people boycotting social media actually achieve?

Most of the interactions are not racist or homophobic. They use it as a way to contact their fans more directly. Following Harry Kane's Instagram isn't my thing to do, but it's not aimed at me, it's for 8 year olds, 15 year olds, etc. Maybe it's strange to you as it's not your generation.

If they all stopped using it, those are the people who will be affected. The small number of people sending abuse won't care. I imagine that someone who sends racist messages to Rashford, for example, would find it hilarious if he deleted his Twitter account because of them.

They need to work out how to properly punish people who think they can get away with it. It seems to me that your solution is just giving in to the bullies.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    IMO Until law enforcement agencies have access to the accounts of these people they will continue to take advantage of the anonymity.

I guess that a lot of the trolls are young kids and a chunk of the others are borderline sociopaths who need help.

Of course as you note anybody in the public eye don’t have to use these platforms.
    I dunno. I'd expect most of the trolls to be adults.

Trolls thrive on attention. The simple answer is to ignore them or block them.

any footballer or celebrity for that matter who gets upset with anything posted of these platforms is a dishonest moron.
    do you really think Marcus rashford reads tweets to him ? complete bullshit who gives a toss if your trolled is all crap like writing on a toilet wall, its all propaganda by the elites.

[QUOTE=lardy;5167521]What would having all sports people boycotting social media actually achieve?

Most of the interactions are not racist or homophobic. They use it as a way to contact their fans more directly. Following Harry Kane's Instagram isn't my thing to do, but it's not aimed at me, it's for 8 year olds, 15 year olds, etc. Maybe it's strange to you as it's not your generation.

If they all stopped using it, those are the people who will be affected. The small number of people sending abuse won't care. I imagine that someone who sends racist messages to Rashford, for example, would find it hilarious if he deleted his Twitter account because of them.

They need to work out how to properly punish people who think they can get away with it. It seems to me that your solution is just giving in to the bullies.[/QUO

it would achieve sanity coming back twtter needs to be destroyed it has poisoned everything it touches, ffs the cia and mi6 created it.
    jack Dorsey is just a liberal clown.

Oh great another poster who talks like they’ve learned how to talk by reading American centric conspiracy websites, just what this board needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

This will surely go down as one of the most spectacular interview/predictions ever.

I would have said that what Bowie was saying would be nothing special if he'd said it in 2009 because even I could see the signs of what was to come then, but to think that in 1999 is very impressive - from memory, the Jeremy Paxman view was very much the norm back then.

Quote Originally Posted by robjohn44 View Post
    any footballer or celebrity for that matter who gets upset with anything posted of these platforms is a dishonest moron.
    do you really think Marcus rashford reads tweets to him ? complete bullshit who gives a toss if your trolled is all crap like writing on a toilet wall, its all propaganda by the elites.
    This post completely contradicts the one below it.

Who are you to decide what different people think about the sort of personal insults that are all too frequent online? For every one who treats such abuse directed at them like water off a duck's back, there is another one, at least, who gets terribly upset by it. Look what's going on with Britney Spears at the moment with media platforms more or less admitting their responsibility, at least partially, for her breakdown in the noughties.

Whatever happened to treat others as you would like to be treated yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

This is is my rule of thumb too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

Thanks for sharing that video, never seen it before. Perceptive and prescient fella.

It reminded me that I thought he sold his rights for future royalties for a decent wad in the 90s, which to some must have felt a risky one off payment in place of a steady longer tail of royalty payments. My memory wasn’t quite right, but the “Bowie bonds” that were issued (as much as I can work out) felt like a way to maximise when it appears he seemed to cotton on to which way the winds of the 21st century were blowing.

Come across this quote from the early 00s:

“The absolute transformation of everything that we ever thought about music will take place within 10 years, and nothing is going to be able to stop it. I see absolutely no point in pretending that it’s not going to happen. I’m fully confident that copyright, for instance, will no longer exist in 10 years, and authorship and intellectual property is in for such a bashing.”

“Music itself is going to become like running water or electricity,” he added. ”So it’s like, just take advantage of these last few years because none of this is ever going to happen again. You’d better be prepared for doing a lot of touring because that’s really the only unique situation that’s going to be left. It’s terribly exciting. But on the other hand it doesn’t matter if you think it’s exciting or not; it’s what’s going to happen.”

it would achieve sanity coming back twtter needs to be destroyed it has poisoned everything it touches, ffs the cia and mi6 created it.
    jack Dorsey is just a liberal clown.
    This would only make sense if the cia, mi6 and jack dorsey were sending racist and homophobic abuse to footballers.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Oh great another poster who talks like they’ve learned how to talk by reading American centric conspiracy websites, just what this board needed.
    Yeah that's exactly the kind of propaganda that an elite would say

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yeah that's exactly the kind of propaganda that an elite would say

How do you stop those who believe it's okay to post it to a high public figure then believing it's okay to do it as part of their normal day? It comes down to whether this behaviour is acceptable or not and that will determine what political policies are pushed forward and how we live our lives.

Anthony Watson: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ns-rugby-union

“I just feel very strongly that it’s a double standard at the moment,” he said. “Everyone wants athletes to have opinions and express themselves, then when they do, a lot of people are shot in the foot for it or even more serious things can come from it.

“My point is that people don’t really understand that not everyone who is kneeling is directly correlated to the Black Lives Matter organisation. People just want to jump on that because it is their way of disagreeing with it instantly and, for me personally, I can’t let that slide.”

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    This post completely contradicts the one below it.

Who are you to decide what different people think about the sort of personal insults that are all too frequent online? For every one who treats such abuse directed at them like water off a duck's back, there is another one, at least, who gets terribly upset by it. Look what's going on with Britney Spears at the moment with media platforms more or less admitting their responsibility, at least partially, for her breakdown in the noughties.

Whatever happened to treat others as you would like to be treated yourself?
    Facebook, twitter, et al for 'celebrities' are nothing more that a mega ego trip. They will have of thousands - or in the case of Spears tens of thousands - of sycophants gushing over their every inane comment. Then they get a few horrible ones and demand the Government etc. act. I say close them all down, that'll put an end to it.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Facebook, twitter, et al for 'celebrities' are nothing more that a mega ego trip. They will have of thousands - or in the case of Spears tens of thousands - of sycophants gushing over their every inane comment. Then they get a few horrible ones and demand the Government etc. act. I say close them all down, that'll put an end to it.
    It's probably more about marketing than ego.

Some idiotic opinion on this thread with the OP setting the tone.

Do any of you actually use Twitter?