+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Racism, Hatred in Football

Re: Racism, Hatred in Football

Thanks to the power of social media Marcus Rashford has got vulnerable children fed throughout this pandemic, but according to some fella from Mars he shouldnt be putting himself in a position to be abused by some anonymous shithouse.

You might as well have said "Well its his own fault for being black".

Jesus wept. I used to think your username was a play on words, im now starting to wonder if you do actually live on Mars as you dont appear to live in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    This is is my rule of thumb too.

it is a rule i have always lived by, i treat my online life as a extension of my " real world life " yes i am this boring in real life aswell

it is also something i have told my 2 girls and i hope they have followed it, if you wouldnt say it to the persons face, then dont say it online

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Facebook, twitter, et al for 'celebrities' are nothing more that a mega ego trip. They will have of thousands - or in the case of Spears tens of thousands - of sycophants gushing over their every inane comment. Then they get a few horrible ones and demand the Government etc. act. I say close them all down, that'll put an end to it.
    I think saying a few horrible ones undermines how bad racism is.

And how much good can be done on social media, just look at what Rashford achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It's probably more about marketing than ego.
    True

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    What would having all sports people boycotting social media actually achieve?

Most of the interactions are not racist or homophobic. They use it as a way to contact their fans more directly. Following Harry Kane's Instagram isn't my thing to do, but it's not aimed at me, it's for 8 year olds, 15 year olds, etc. Maybe it's strange to you as it's not your generation.

If they all stopped using it, those are the people who will be affected. The small number of people sending abuse won't care. I imagine that someone who sends racist messages to Rashford, for example, would find it hilarious if he deleted his Twitter account because of them.

They need to work out how to properly punish people who think they can get away with it. It seems to me that your solution is just giving in to the bullies.

Well if we are honest what is “taking the knee” achieving ?

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post

Well if we are honest what is “taking the knee” achieving ?
    I'm not sure that they are really that similar. Taking the knee doesn't really bother me as much it bothers some; they can do it or stop as far as I'm concerned. What's it achieving now - I don't know. Will it achieve anything? It's possible, I guess. It doesn't really affect anyone though.

It looks like a short protest to remind people about general conditions in society, to me.

But social media abuse comes from specific people whom it is possible to individually punish. A boycott would affect millions of people (not me, I couldn't care less what they post, apart from things like Rashford's school meals campaign). I imagine if you're 8 and your dad asks Sean Morrison to tweet you happy birthday and he does, then that's a massive deal to you. Things like that happen on social media every day.