+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NML banned for cocaine use, according to BBC.

NML banned for cocaine use, according to BBC.

We should have retained his services following his ban.

Re: NML banned for cocaine use, according to BBC.

And what kind of message would that have sent to the fans, if it turned out be true?

These rumours get up my nose.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56030434

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ne-last-season

It is good to know the real story, after months of speculation. Whether the club were right to sack him or not - whether based on his state of mind after the test fail or on performance, financial or 'moral' considerations - we will find out in the next few months. If he rips up the league for Boro it will look like a bad decision in hindsight. If he fails to get back to his best of 3 years ago it may look like a sensible move.

Whatever, the decision was made and it is in the past.

Feedback

having read the article I can't see what he has done that is supposed to be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    Disagree.
    Also do not know if was his first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    having read the article I can't see what he has done that is supposed to be wrong
    I presume your joking.

Didnt Chelsea sue a former player after losing a transfer fee after a player was banned for drug use.

Failed a drug test perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Didnt Chelsea sue a former player after losing a transfer fee after a player was banned for drug use.
    Adrian Mutu, I think

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Adrian Mutu, I think
    Yeah thats him.

Rubbish. Apart from anything else, it was ‘in competition’. What sort of example was he setting to all our young fans ? The correct thing was to get rid.

**** him and his sob story. People in a lot worse position than him who got drug and addiction problems.

Boo ****ing hoo.

"Nathaniel Mendez-Laing says he wants to "leave the past behind" after serving a suspension for cocaine use."
    "The Football Association (FA) has revealed the 28-year-old served a three-month ban after a positive drugs test administered on 4 July, 2020."
    "The FA said the now Middlesbrough wing admitted taking cocaine "in a context unrelated to sporting performance.""

Probably the cocaine use

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I presume your joking.
    no, I'm serious.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    "Nathaniel Mendez-Laing says he wants to "leave the past behind" after serving a suspension for cocaine use."
    "The Football Association (FA) has revealed the 28-year-old served a three-month ban after a positive drugs test administered on 4 July, 2020."
    "The FA said the now Middlesbrough wing admitted taking cocaine "in a context unrelated to sporting performance.""

Probably the cocaine use
    If its good enough for queen Victoria then it's good enough for me

I don’t know where NML figured in the list of highest paid City players but it wouldn’t surprise me if getting him off the payroll to save money was the main motivation in terminating his contract. NML, of course, providing the club with cast iron means to do it. In these difficult times and no parachute payment next season there may well be more.

Not his first offence. Would also explain his absence in early part of last season. Clearly NML has had a problem. All the info is in the details of the judgement.
    https://twitter.com/FAspokesperson/s...252288516?s=19

A professional athlete getting banned twice in less than a year for using recreational drugs is pretty special.

I kind of agree but we don't know the full story, was this the final straw after many chances. Footballers have come back from much worse. Could have offered him help and support, but as I say, the club could have already done that many times

Admitted to doing it 10pm the night before we played Bristol City in July. Also banned earlier in the season for 3 months

And people are saying we shouldn’t have sacked him.

Should have sold him the first occasion

I appreciate all the support I have been given throughout. I now want to leave that period of my life in the past where it belongs.
    I hope he considers using his influence, when he's ready, to help others make better decisions rather than just moving on completely.

His sample showed metabolites of cocaine on 09/12/2019 (provisionally suspended on 07/02/2020, formally suspended on 21/04/2020 and 3months were backdated to provisional date) and 04/07/2020. That may help explain why club dismissed him.

So that explains his absence from December 2019 until the suspension of football due to the pandemic.

So with two 3 month suspensions in 8 months I'm not surprised he was sacked.

However, as it was a second offence his ban may have been for much longer had Wada not moved the goalposts in January and specified a three month ban for recreational use so when the club made their decision to sack him it was highly likely he could have been banned for the remainder of his contract.

I wonder if the club are considering the Chelsea/Adrian Mutu route to get compensation for his subsequent speedy return to football.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post

I wonder if the club are considering the Chelsea/Adrian Mutu route to get compensation for his subsequent speedy return to football.
    They should