+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: If only.....

If only.....

....Harris had been sacked much earlier as he should have, we could have easily been in the top six mix, as opposed to playing catch up.

He lost some very winnable games, against poor sides like Wycombe and Coventry etc.

My one criticism of MM today, why leave Kiefer Moore on when the game was won at 3-0?

He’s the one player we don’t have adequate cover for, so I didn’t understand risking him picking up an injury.

It would also have given Watters 20 minutes or so game time, to see how he handled the step up to this level.

Re: If only.....

I wa surprised they gave Harris so long when it was clear to most he was totally lost. Not many managers would be given the chance to lose 6 games in a row.

I'm surprised he hasn't given Watters a run even as a sub.

Its a tough one , I wonder if the Sol Bamba announcement got in the way of the clubs thinking .

Agree with the substitute , like to have seen Ciaron Brown on as well

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Its a tough one , I wonder if the Sol Bamba announcement got in the way of the clubs thinking .

Agree with the substitute , like to have seen Ciaron Brown on as well
    I think if we drift into no man's land midtable we should see a bit more of people like Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    ....Harris had been sacked much earlier as he should have, we could have easily been in the top six mix, as opposed to playing catch up.

He lost some very winnable games, against poor sides like Wycombe and Coventry etc.

My one criticism of MM today, why leave Kiefer Moore on when the game was won at 3-0?

He’s the one player we don’t have adequate cover for, so I didn’t understand risking him picking up an injury.

It would also have given Watters 20 minutes or so game time, to see how he handled the step up to this level.
    It just makes you realise, as nearly everyone did at the time, that we just wasted a year by hiring him.

A complete waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    It just makes you realise, as nearly everyone did at the time, that we just wasted a year by hiring him.

A complete waste of time.
    Think that a bit harsh .

I seem to remember a difference in tactics being talked about on the board with a move way form the long ball , and lets not forget the unexpected run to the playoffs .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Think that a bit harsh .

I seem to remember a difference in tactics being talked about on the board with a move way form the long ball , and lets not forget the unexpected run to the playoffs .
    Not at all.

The football was dreadful. I said it at the time but lots of people where happy to ignore it as the team did alright for a while.

He was dreadful and a complete waste of time, and eventually reality hit us.

Awful and a waste of 12 months ( other than the signing of Moore, which may not have even been his idea )

Not at all.

The football was dreadful. I said it at the time but lots of people where happy to ignore it as the team did alright for a while.

He was dreadful and a complete waste of time, and eventually reality hit us.

Awful and a waste of 12 months ( other than the signing of Moore, which may not have even been his idea )
    Nobody was thinking that way when the team marched up the table on the way to the play-offs. Almost to a man on here, the feelings were that our initial assessment of NH's capabilities as a manager was wrong. He managed to make us very difficult to beat, especially away from home, all the while trying to gradually move away from Warnockball.

And the football wasn't always dreadful. Middlesboro away, Preston away, Fulham away in the play-offs were all very good performances. Indeed when we beat Huddersfield away, their fans acknowledged what a really good solid side we were.

Some pointed to NH's poor final season with Millwall as an indicator of what would happen here but given the quality of the players he signed for us in the close season, that seemed unlikely to be repeated.

No, it didn't end well but you have to give the man credit for what was accomplished last season after NW's departure and for the players he has recruited since. Certainly not a wasted 12 months in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I wa surprised they gave Harris so long when it was clear to most he was totally lost. Not many managers would be given the chance to lose 6 games in a row.

I'm surprised he hasn't given Watters a run even as a sub.
    Clearly, the club had already decided to sack him some time before that, and were actively seeking a replacement in the weeks before his dismissal. Nothing else explains how McCarthy was appointed so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Nobody was thinking that way when the team marched up the table on the way to the play-offs. Almost to a man on here, the feelings were that our initial assessment of NH's capabilities as a manager was wrong. He managed to make us very difficult to beat, especially away from home, all the while trying to gradually move away from Warnockball.

And the football wasn't always dreadful. Middlesboro away, Preston away, Fulham away in the play-offs were all very good performances. Indeed when we beat Huddersfield away, their fans acknowledged what a really good solid side we were.

Some pointed to NH's poor final season with Millwall as an indicator of what would happen here but given the quality of the players he signed for us in the close season, that seemed unlikely to be repeated.

No, it didn't end well but you have to give the man credit for what was accomplished last season after NW's departure and for the players he has recruited since. Certainly not a wasted 12 months in my view.
    Speak for yourself (and not for me!)

I clearly remember having serious doubts about the football (the scrappy Tomlin fuelled wins at Luton for example) from the very start.

So a waste of a year in my eyes. Zero progress.

Speak for yourself (and not for me!)

I clearly remember having serious doubts about the football (the scrappy Tomlin fuelled wins at Luton for example) from the very start.

So a waste of a year in my eyes. Zero progress.
    Definitely not speaking for you !

Of course doubts were raised as to the chances of long-term success under him but even you can't deny that he exceeded all expectations last year. His mandate when he was appointed would have been to reach the play-offs. To do that from where he started from was no mean feat. The way he did it is open to debate but he did it nonetheless.

You may have had doubts that the long-term project would turn out to be unsuccessful based on a few scrappy wins last season but you couldn't know for sure.

Please tell us what the future will hold for Big Mick.

How many teams have beaten Norwich, Brentford and Swansea this year? It's likely that we would have lost the majority of those four games no matter who the manager was.

How many sides have lost to Monk/Pulis' Wednesday, Wycombe, QPR before this latest 10 game run and Coventry? Performances against the top sides where we looked well off it may have intensified feelings of not wanting Harris but these four games are the only bad results so far this season. Four points instead of zero and we're in seventh just two points outside the play-offs which would satisfy most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    How many teams have beaten Norwich, Brentford and Swansea this year? It's likely that we would have lost the majority of those four games no matter who the manager was.

How many sides have lost to Monk/Pulis' Wednesday, Wycombe, QPR before this latest 10 game run and Coventry? Performances against the top sides where we looked well off it may have intensified feelings of not wanting Harris but these four games are the only bad results so far this season. Four points instead of zero and we're in seventh just two points outside the play-offs which would satisfy most of us.
    I take your point to an extent, but we took seven points out of twelve against the top two last season, whereas, apart from a decent showing against Brentford (who were deserved winners), I think we been pretty pathetic against the top three so far. However, you’re right, it’s the defeats to sides who we’re clearly better than according to the league table that has hurt us more.