+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Can I be slightly critical?

Can I be slightly critical?

We'll never be the prettiest of sides but I thought generally we seemed off the pace, and with better finishing Coventry would have won that game.
    We are fortunate that we gave a gutsy, hard working team, with probably the best striker in the league.
    Still, I guess, all that counts is what happens in the penalty area, and we were better than Coventry there, both ends.
    We will need to make changes Tuesday as we will not win with another tired performance.

Re: Can I be slightly critical?

Evening Linus

I thought that the first half was pretty even, but we were more clinical in front of goal. They did dominate the second half, but wasn't that because we were 3-0 up and just sitting on our lead?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I thought that the first half was pretty even, but we were more clinical in front of goal. They did dominate the second half, but wasn't that because we were 3-0 up and just sitting on our lead?
    I think we have gone from one of the poorer sides in this division to one of the average sides. Promotion would see us vanquished by all and sundry in the Premier League but progress is progress.

Of course it was the game was won and we relaxed a bit, if we were off the pace a bit, I'll take that every time thanks
    Mick McCarthy is doing a great job, just enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    We'll never be the prettiest of sides but I thought generally we seemed off the pace, and with better finishing Coventry would have won that game.
    We are fortunate that we gave a gutsy, hard working team, with probably the best striker in the league.
    Still, I guess, all that counts is what happens in the penalty area, and we were better than Coventry there, both ends.
    We will need to make changes Tuesday as we will not win with another tired performance.
    Why spoil the habit of a lifetime ?

Plenty of opportunities to be critical of the City on many occasions this season and rightly so but I reckon these last few games we should be cutting the lads a bit of slack. There’ll, no doubt, be times to have a go again in the not too distant future, I’m of the opinion that we should bask in this bit of success until the next bit of shit hits the fan. Well done Mick McCarthy, Terry Connor and the squad, here’s hoping that next bit of shit is a long way off.

The game was won at 3 nil. We were too strong for them and . Players were tired and probably took their foot of the gas.

McCarthy should have had more confidence in his bench and used his subs.

Easy win.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think we have gone from one of the poorer sides in this division to one of the average sides. Promotion would see us vanquished by all and sundry in the Premier League but progress is progress.
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think much the same. We are an average Championship side and are beating sides now we should have a few weeks ago. Think we are a million miles off top 3 sides.

We would have probably lost that game a month ago. MM has made a few tweaks which are working and he's definitely getting more from the skill players. We are definitely improved and I thought we did a good job today. I think it's understandable that the players tired, my only criticism would be that MM should have brought Moore off after an hour. We are very dependent on him and he can't be expected to play 80+ minutes twice a week.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We would have probably lost that game a month ago. MM has made a few tweaks which are working and he's definitely getting more from the skill players. We are definitely improved and I thought we did a good job today. I think it's understandable that the players tired, my only criticism would be that MM should have brought Moore off after an hour. We are very dependent on him and he can't be expected to play 80+ minutes twice a week.
    Yeah I was going to post the same thing.

Moore needs to be rested a bit more and should have come off. It's a bit disappointing that we don't have anyone on the bench to play his role. I guess sticking Watters on would have changed the way we play and Coventry did look dangerous, so I guess MM wanted to preserve the system.

MM and TC have us playing to our strengths and have helped the attacking players have more movement and freedom.. they were in a straight jacket this season under Harris.

For me, McCarthy has done three things that have benefited the team. First, he’s made three at the back work better than it did at anytime under Harris and Warnock’s attempts at using that system, second, he’s rid us of our infatuation with playing two wingers which worked for a while, but had long since become something that was more often counter productive than productive. Finally, McCarthy has improved our attacking play by using the likes of Wilson, Ojo and Murphy in more central areas.

By using a 3-4-3 rather than 3-5-2, McCarthy has, for me, ensured that we’re still weak in central midfield, but Will Vaulks’ better form has, to an extent, covered this. At the back, the weaknesses we saw last season when Flint and Morrison played together are being covered to a degree by Nelson’s fine recent form, but the big question is will the advances of the last five games carry us through matches with the better sides, a few of which savagely exposed our limitations over the Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    ..... the big question is will the advances of the last five games carry us through matches with the better sides, a few of which savagely exposed our limitations over Christmas?
    This is indeed the big question.

Mick McCarthy's Cardiff City have thus far taken on only one side who are currently in the top half of the Championship table, and that was out-of-form Bristol City, who are in 12th position after being thrashed 6-0 at Watford yesterday - their fifth defeat on the trot. Meanwhile, the five league games on the bounce that were lost by Cardiff under Neil Harris included two against leaders Norwich and one against high-flying Brentford, who will go top if they beat Barnsley today.

The Championship table is crazy at the moment. City, who are seventh, are 17 points off the automatic promotion places but just 12 points above the relegation spots. That's nuts. After 29 games, just three points separate the side in 7th and 14th.

MM has achieved his first objective, which is to get us away from the possibility of relegation.
    Anything else is a bonus. Perhaps he will soon be able to properly blood some of the talented lads from the academy.

They ran rings around us for pretty much all the second half. Desperate defending, midfielders out on their legs, it showed us up, especially when you consider they were league 1 last season. McCarthy's doing his job well, keeping City up, but to coin the old saying, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I think we were fortunate, in that we scored first. I think if Coventry had got the opener, it could have turned out very differently. Once a team goes behind, they have to push forward to get an equaliser, and all sorts of stuff opens up at the back. We've all seen it, and we've all seen City suffer from it, earlier in the season.
    That said, we are a more resilient side these days, and Coventry definitely looked a bit shaky whenever they were under pressure. Thankfully, you can't really tack that label on Cardiff at the moment.