+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Warrington v Lara

Warrington v Lara

Excellent but brutal fight.

Really gutsy fighter Josh Warrington but I did worry for him when Lara had him down and almost out in Rnd 4.
    Visions of Johnny Owen came flooding back.

Eventually knocked out in Rnd 9 and looked pretty bad but back up and on his feet now.

Oh those Mexicans!

Re: Warrington v Lara

Sorry posted after you.

Fight should have been stopped rounds earlier.

10/10 for heart and bravery for Josh.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Sorry posted after you.

Fight should have been stopped rounds earlier.

10/10 for heart and bravery for Josh.
    Agree 100%.
    Money over safety there.

Did you see the earlier fight where the young Brit beat that Martinez on points?
    Hearn kicking off because the judges scored the fight not close enough.

That was a cracking fight and I felt really sorry for Barrett (was it?) having to stand there and listen to his ramblings.
    He may have had a point but it completely took the shine off the win.

Hearne's an idiot.

Warrington looked like he struggled for the weight. He looked totally dehydrated pre fight.
    Don't take anything away from Lara though hell of a punch for a small man.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Agree 100%.
    Money over safety there.

Did you see the earlier fight where the young Brit beat that Martinez on points?
    Hearn kicking off because the judges scored the fight not close enough.

That was a cracking fight and I felt really sorry for Barrett (was it?) having to stand there and listen to his ramblings.
    He may have had a point but it completely took the shine off the win.

Hearne's an idiot.
    Havent seen the rest of the show. Probably watch it later in the week.

You could swear Josh is some sort of mega star the way Sky and Eddie have portrayed him. Hes an admirable fighter with a football following who has made the most of his ability. But hes no punching power and there is so much talent in the lower weight divisions.

This isnt Joshua being chinned by am obese Mexican. This is the harsh reality of mixing with the best in the lower weight divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Havent seen the rest of the show. Probably watch it later in the week.

You could swear Josh is some sort of mega star the way Sky and Eddie have portrayed him. Hes an admirable fighter with a football following who has made the most of his ability. But hes no punching power and there is so much talent in the lower weight divisions.

This isnt Joshua being chinned by am obese Mexican. This is the harsh reality of mixing with the best in the lower weight divisions.
    Wasn't a documentary made about his fight with Selby? I guess this hype is what happens when your face fits

Selby struggled with the weight as well.
    I’m glad to see Warrington is ok, but they way he has handled himself in the Selby and Galahad fights...really pleased to see him lose in such a fashion to a massive underdog.

Just rewatched.
    Negligent to send Warrington out for round 5.

He’s not coming back from that.

Warrington has done amazingly well with limited boxing ability but a ridiculously good engine and energy levels. That energy was not there last night and must be a worry for him and his team. Beaten well on the night and as many have said should have been pulled out earlier. If you think too that the ref was Howard Foster who pulled out George Groves against Froch when he was wobbly on his feet and taking unanswered punches it makes it all the more remarkable. Foster is basically judging fights differently now for whatever reason. Is it because of the outcry from his Groves stoppage or some other bias? I guess only he will know.

I fully agree with Eddie Hearn coming out and saying what he did about the Barrett-Martinez scorecard. Somebody had to say it and hats off to him for doing so. It was an absolutely ridiculous set of cards. Britain has become the Germany or Italy of yesteryear now and as Eddie said, how are we going to get foreign fighters over here if they know they're beaten before they lace up a glove? It is all kinds of wrong.

Just to add, and it is with hindsight, but it is clear to see why Warrington vacated his belt rather than face Galahad now.

Would a points loss against Galahad have been as damaging to his career and health as that beating against a big underdog last night? I'm not sure it would have.

Another Eddie Hearn golden boy found out?

I just wish the commentators would give the Mexican some credit. Instead of mentioning his guts and laser like left hand, they make excuses. Josh couldn't get out of first gear, the lack of fans played a part, etc etc

Just admit that maybe Warrington wasn't as good as you thought or he was completely beaten by the better man on the night

It is almost as if the Sky commentators (BT are almost as bad) have the script laid out for them before any fight has started. He was beaten by the better man, that was it really. Sky are as to blame as anybody as they have their own scorecards and they're a world away from what the judges are giving but then they backtrack on it to try to justify the ridiculous cards.

Referees and judges need to be asked to justify their decisions and scorecards when they are so bad. Basically get them in to British Boxing Board of Control and round for round ask them why they have given it to a man who has clearly lost the round.
    It is people's lives they are playing with. Fighters pay the ultimate price when getting into that ring and to have somebody taking backhanders to take it away from them is just wrong.

Sky do a great job with some sports.

The boxing coverage is terrible. Its better with the sound down. Adam Smith and a bunch of cheer leader ex boxers. Better to watch with the sound down.

You could swear Canelo or Mayweather had been beaten the way they were going on.

Another upset but who would bet against a Mexican.

Full fight now available on YouTube for those that haven't seen it.

https://youtu.be/KiZq3F4IaXs