+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Average players over performing or good players realising their potential?

Average players over performing or good players realising their potential?

As always with good and bad runs, these sorts of questions pop up. When we're in a good run, we think we can beat mostly anyone. When we're in a poor run, anyone can beat us. Such is the life of a football fan!

When we were in our losing streak, most fans seemed to be saying that we just had an average bunch of players and little more could be done with them, yet most of these were the same players who made the playoffs earlier in the year.

So, ultimately, are we a team of average players that are over performing, or are we a team of good players realising their potential?

Re: Average players over performing or good players realising their potential?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    As always with good and bad runs, these sorts of questions pop up. When we're in a good run, we think we can beat mostly anyone. When we're in a poor run, anyone can beat us. Such is the life of a football fan!

When we were in our losing streak, most fans seemed to be saying that we just had an average bunch of players and little more could be done with them, yet most of these were the same players who made the playoffs earlier in the year.

So, ultimately, are we a team of average players that are over performing, or are we a team of good players realising their potential?
    I think we are an average team with a good finisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think we are an average team with a good finisher.
    Very true, there is that, though I think everyone has raised their game and intensity since Harris went.

What a load of nonsense. Most fans do not say they are an average bunch of players at all.

Restricted to what kind of football they can play? Yes. Average. No.

Our best players are performing well and dragging the rest along with them. We've averaged over 2 points per game since McCarthy took over, but I'll be surprised if we keep that up for the rest of the season and it all falls apart if Moore gets injured.

I believe that we are an above average team for the league we are currently in based on our finishing position last year and our likely finishing position this year.

Our abysmal losing streak can partly be put down to l confidence being gradually eroded to the point where the player's self-belief had completely gone.

The new manager has just re-instated that self-belief and allowed the players to perform to a standard to which they have always been capable. So I would definitely say that with a few exceptions, they are good footballers realising their potential.

In our losing run we lost six from seven but four games against top three and one game against a side who were eleventh best if judging over past ten game, eighth best over past eight games and third best over past six - QPR's results have steadily improved recently and we played them in the middle of that.

In our recent run we've played played sides in rubbish form, Rotherham (I think they were missing first choice keeper) and managed a very handy draw against a Millwall side on the up. Wycombe aside, the results that got Harris sacked weren't that surprising and we haven't yet beaten anyone under MM to indicate we're play-off bound.

The players are playing happier - those smiles on faces isn't just a pre-match slogan now - but think we're still a side that's probably top six when our first eleven are playing and less than that when they're not. The challenge is how to win games when you need to rest Moore, Wilson, Morrison, NG (as the first choice RB) which will tell us a lot more about squad quality than pretty much the side which went on a four game winning streak (including our best result so far: Watford away) earlier in the season.

Signing a decent right back has made a massive difference.
    Switching to three across the back has bulked out the midfield.
    But having a proven goalscorer is always a big plus.
    Also, I don't think the players really understood what Harris was trying to do (or didn't think it was going to work). They had lost all faith in him well before he was sacked. McCarthy is a man with a plan, and the team can see that.

I think all or most of our squad are above average. Moore is maybe the best in the division. Murphy is capable of being one of the best. He's basically wasted 3 years of his career due to poor management. Morrisson has been one of the best over the last 5 years. Smithies. Ng. We definitely have a top 6 squad if managed properly. We've just been poorly managed for so long and the football was so pedestrian it's been hard to see any positives.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Moore is maybe the best in the division.
    Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Seriously?
    Well, he's the 4th top scorer in an average team. Toney is different class but I wouldn't swap Moore for anyone else so perhaps he's the 2nd best striker in the league.

Our best players are playing well and the midfield is doing a job. If he continues to get a tune out of Murphy, Wilson and Ojo then things should take care of themselves. Defenders are back to their best (even the much maligned Flint), Ng is an absolute steal and Moore is indispensable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Our best players are playing well and the midfield is doing a job. If he continues to get a tune out of Murphy, Wilson and Ojo then things should take care of themselves. Defenders are back to their best (even the much maligned Flint), Ng is an absolute steal and Moore is indispensable.
    What do you think about us playing the three centre-backs? It seems to be working in terms of results, but none of them look really comfortable in the system. I think we've been fortunate to only concede one goal in each of the games against Millwall, Rotherham, and Coventry.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Well, he's the 4th top scorer in an average team. Toney is different class but I wouldn't swap Moore for anyone else so perhaps he's the 2nd best striker in the league.
    He is according to this lot: https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/25...ship-2020-2021

Toney is probably the only striker in the league I'd take over Moore, but I wonder how many Moore would get for Brentford?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    What do you think about us playing the three centre-backs? It seems to be working in terms of results, but none of them look really comfortable in the system. I think we've been fortunate to only concede one goal in each of the games against Millwall, Rotherham, and Coventry.
    I think Nelson has looked far better since the change in shape

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I don't think they're able to do an awful lot of training on it but they're all playing pretty well. If anything, I think Morrison is the one that is struggling the most as he's the least suited to his role as the right sided centre back. I think he'd be better in the middle but imagine Flint out wide . I think the back 3 helps the midfield though an means we only have to play 2 while removing some responsibility from Wilson and then completely taking the handbrake off Ojo/Murphy.

Whether it is a new manager bounce or its the real deal, I don't know and I think the form of Ojo and Murphy has done for Watters getting a go! Ng has made a massive difference both in possession and out of it. This playing right backs at right back might just catch on. I wonder if Ng could slot into the right sided centre half when JOT comes back? The Crewe fans said that would end up being his best position.