+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Not fit for test cricket?

Not fit for test cricket?

Just heard Johnathan Agnew rather pompously declare that the pitch for the second India v England test match is not fit for test cricket. I’ve got mixed feelings about this, it is a poor standard pitch, but would we be hearing the same thing from the likes of Agnew if it was India who were struggling in reply to an England score of three hundred plus? This test is going to be decided by the toss, but I dare say India would contest that the same thing happened in the first test.

First Team

Re: Not fit for test cricket?

As a purist I would prefer to look at it from the perspective that the Indian spinners are just a class apart and bowling beautifully.

However, after what happened to the groundsman from the first test I can also see where Agnew is coming from as many feared that a doctored strip was in the offing.

The reality is a bit of both, probably. Would he be saying the same about an Oval runway or an Old Trafford wreck, probably as he does like to vent regardless and has been highly critical of the flat oval tracks as detrimental to cricket on more than one occasion. Then again, he also has history in being a bit of a homer.

I was just about to comment on how India needed a pitch to suit their spinners right from the start of the game, but then the keeper Pant takes the most amazing leg side catch off a seamers first ball.

First Team

That was a quite remarkable catch. I did think he was going to then spill it but he juggled it back into the gloves. The follow on now looking a racing certainty

Just avoided the follow on but not the inevitable....so much time in the game for India to just build a score in second innings to tire England fielders then wrap it up with their spinners late on day 3 or on day 4 .
    I get what the pundits are saying about pitch and that it’s doing too much on day 2 but England batsmen and bowlers just don’t have enough experience of playing on these kind of pitches so it always feels unfair.

Then again , tourists playing in England (and Wales) in April May have to endure the ball seaming or swinging more than they’re used to so I guess this things evens out and the top teams win home and away series.

Can the pitch be that bad if a partnership can rack up 162 runs?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    In the first two sessions. They've sacked the groundsman who curated the first pitch and they've created a pitch to suit them entirely hoping they'd bat first. No wonder Sharma played the way he did. England have been extremely poor but that pitch is a minefield. Umpiring hasn't helped...

In reality the pitch probably is sub-standard, but almost so what. Sides are skittles for 130 on all types of different surfaces. The bigger issue for me is how quickly the pitch deteriorates which then means the toss becomes disproportionately crucial. But it was always thus and England just to have get on with it. The danger now is that seeing how poorly England have responded in this game, the wicket for game 3 will be an absolute dust bowl as well.

The bigger question for the sport is it right to allow doctored home pitches perhaps some form of common standards should be enforced , in particular about how often and how heavy a roller should be to prepare a pitch for the season, same around watering and grass
    growth standards.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    The bigger question for the sport is it right to allow doctored home pitches perhaps some form of common standards should be enforced , in particular about how often and how heavy a roller should be to prepare a pitch for the season, same around watering and grass
    growth standards.
    The idea for the Second Division of the County Championship whereby the away team could send the home team into bat without a toss up was a pretty good one.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The idea for the Second Division of the County Championship whereby the away team could send the home team into bat without a toss up was a pretty good one.
    Not a bad shout.

India 230-8 - still think it’s a poor pitch, but unfit for test cricket? Hardly.

Hope Ashwin can get to 100. It's not often you see a player get a 5-for and a century in the same game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Hope Ashwin can get to 100. It's not often you see a player get a 5-for and a century in the same game.
    India’s number eight gets to a hundred - great innings.

Its a terrible pitch that England have played poorly on, and some of the Indians have played remarkably well. All three of the statements can be true and it is annoying that so many pundits are ignoring that! On day 3, India shouldn't be 100-6 to our spinners!

First Team

This has been a fascinating test match with all sorts of things happening.

Fantastic to see a keeper stand up to a quality quickie and also two stumpings which I cannot remember happening , at this level, in ages.

The Indian turnaround from the first test has been dramatic and this strange rotation in selection by England exposed somewhat although hard to see that the result would be much different.

India will go on and win at a canter now and deservedly so but it remains to see if England can at least put on a score that will give them some confidence going into the next test.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    This has been a fascinating test match with all sorts of things happening.

Fantastic to see a keeper stand up to a quality quickie and also two stumpings which I cannot remember happening , at this level, in ages.

The Indian turnaround from the first test has been dramatic and this strange rotation in selection by England exposed somewhat although hard to see that the result would be much different.

India will go on and win at a canter now and deservedly so but it remains to see if England can at least put on a score that will give them some confidence going into the next test.
    A member of the Original Brains brewing family has a record for stumpings. (Or was it scumpings? )

England’s cause is not helped when you see some of the shots played for their dismissals.
    Sibley’s efforts at a shot which got him plumb LBW was nothing short of a schoolboy error. That was only one of 5-6 terrible shots.
    In comparison you might see India play one or two bad shots in any innings but they don’t throw their wickets away like England.
    I can see us losing all remaining tests now.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    England’s cause is not helped when you see some of the shots played for their dismissals.
    Sibley’s efforts at a shot which got him plumb LBW was nothing short of a schoolboy error. That was only one of 5-6 terrible shots.
    In comparison you might see India play one or two bad shots in any innings but they don’t throw their wickets away like England.
    I can see us losing all remaining tests now.
    In the 1st test it was the complete opposite with India throwing their wickets away and England playing quite carefully.

Before this series i wouldnt have had this England side winning a match in India, the have already surpassed that.

With the next test being a day night match I dont think it will be as easy for the spinners.

Been impressed by Ollie Stone in this game, I can see him making the tour to Australia next winter.

Been impressed by Ollie Stone in this game, I can see him making the tour to Australia next winter.
    Wicket Keeper looks half decent as well .

Seems like the wicket was not fit for test cricket when England were batting and okay when India were - England lose by 317, after being bowled out for 164, a figure only boosted by some late slogging (43 off 18 balls!) by Moeen.

Without doubt. England will need at least 2 of Archer Wood and Stone in the 11 in Australia. Can they keep fit though.

I remember Stone a couple of years ago against Glam in a T20. England desperate for fast bowlers and he was sending them down at 93mph.