+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Songs Of Praise

Re: Songs Of Praise

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I didn't understand what God was doing she said

I think the problem was he was doing f all !

It reminded us not to trust our own insight and that marriage is a gift from God

Bloody hell ��
    You are a hypocrite. The world is a bloody mess from our own making and you want to blame God. Try reading the passages below with an open mind. You might find it adds a dimension to your life

John. 1 verses 10-13

Matthew. 7 verses 10-13

I always thought religion and spirituality were supposed to make people nicer in theory. A coincidence that everyone who’s posted strong religious beliefs in here are the ones who come across as being twats on here.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    You are a hypocrite. The world is a bloody mess from our own making and you want to blame God. Try reading the passages below with an open mind. You might find it adds a dimension to your life

John. 1 verses 10-13

Matthew. 7 verses 10-13
    If god is omnipotent surely he’d just fix it all rather than letting people suffer though?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    If god is omnipotent surely he’d just fix it all rather than letting people suffer though?
    I don't want to come across as, to quote you...'Being a twat'. You ask a good question but an unrealistic one. We both know that there are forces for good and evil in this world. As an example most recently guards bashing the shit out of protesters in Russia. How can that be right but that's mans' doing not God's. So what do you want him to do in that situation? Kill the guards, some if not all might be good people forced into obeying orders?. Kill the protesters? Kill Putin?. ...and what would it solve anyhow. Man can sort this out if he chose to without divine intervention .

Jesus answer was to get in and mix it with those deemed to be 'bad people', he talked to them, ate with them. He believed there was good in everyone, and that we are all his ( God's) people.

I won't go on other than to ask those who will surely respond with some off the cuff comments to reflect first.

Heisenberg

I don't want to come across as, to quote you...'Being a twat'. You ask a good question but an unrealistic one. We both know that there are forces for good and evil in this world. As an example most recently guards bashing the shit out of protesters in Russia. How can that be right but that's mans' doing not God's. So what do you want him to do in that situation? Kill the guards, some if not all might be good people forced into obeying orders?. Kill the protesters? Kill Putin?. ...and what would it solve anyhow. Man can sort this out if he chose to without divine intervention .

Jesus answer was to get in and mix it with those deemed to be 'bad people', he talked to them, ate with them. He believed there was good in everyone, and that we are all his ( God's) people.

I won't go on other than to ask those who will surely respond with some off the cuff comments to reflect first.
    I've reflected.

I still have a potentially "off the cuff" comment for you...

The example you gave was lovely, but how to you explain infants who have died of horrible diseases? Whose "will" determined those horrific events?

Amen 🙏

What about the dinosaurs.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    What about the dinosaurs.
    Didn't pray enough

Not religious and never will be, but it was a year ago on the weekend just ended that I missed my first home game (Wigan) for reasons that weren’t health related in about twenty five years. It was because of the floods which stopped the trains running and my car was out of commission at the time.
    I can remember thinking as the rain kept on lashing down that, with a plague coming, if there was a God, he/she was punishing us - I’d say the human race has been pushing any deity’s patience in the last ten years or so!

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Didn't pray enough
    They saw the light.

Cant remember who it was but someone said recently that the best thing about religion is the architecture.
    I tend to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Cant remember who it was but someone said recently that the best thing about religion is the architecture.
    I tend to agree.
    I suppose patronage of the arts in general. but then when you've got all the money it's easier to do so.
    a trip to the Vatican is testament (!) to that, utterly obscene levels of opulence, while they were preaching piety to the masses and creaming off their 10%

Couldn’t he just zap them with a bit of magic?

Surely being an all powerful omnipotent being god can do whatever he wants?

What about babies born with aids?

What about areas of the world with famine?

What about natural disasters killing villages full of people?

Didn't pray enough
    Could a t-Rex even get his hands into the right position?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Could a t-Rex even get his hands into the right position?
    The Triceratops had it sorted with the horns representing the father, son and holy spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I tend to agree.
    I'd say music too. Not Christian rock, but lots of orchestral music from a few centuries back was written for religion.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I'd say music too. Not Christian rock, but lots of orchestral music from a few centuries back was written for religion.
    You could add law and order and culture. Disclaimer; I'm not religious, before someone attempts to have a go at me because kids die of leukemia.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I've reflected.

I still have a potentially "off the cuff" comment for you...

The example you gave was lovely, but how to you explain infants who have died of horrible diseases? Whose "will" determined those horrific events?
    Hard to answer this in a few sentences, it's a very good question. Not being flippant but it's not God's will that children ,or anyone for that matter, should die from prematurely from horrible disease. We are born into a world of suffering and pain, much of it manmade, much of it through our battles with nature and disease. You and I will suffer, have suffered, and the Bible's message is that God shares our pain in this world and offers comfort to those that seek it through him.

I had a very good friend who died as a young adult leaving a wife and baby. He was a bricklayer by trade but gave it up to become a priest. He was a joy to be with and he honestly and openly took on board the suffering of his parishioners at a very personal level. He offered love, comfort and the promise of faith in the same way that Christians believe God does.

He was a 'brittle' diabetic, hard to control and he knew he would be unlikely to live a long life. But he filled his life with purpose and love, and not once did he complain' why me'. Why didn't God save him you may ask? For what? To live a few more years with an increasing amount of suffering that is linked to his condition. We look at the physical, God at the spiritual and the answer might be wrapped up in that.

I seem to be like someone trying to explain to you how a car engine works when you will find the complete answer by looking though the manual. And you know the manual I'm talking about...from the Greek it's called 'The Book'

Heisenberg

Hard to answer this in a few sentences, it's a very good question. Not being flippant but it's not God's will that children ,or anyone for that matter, should die from prematurely from horrible disease. We are born into a world of suffering and pain, much of it manmade, much of it through our battles with nature and disease. You and I will suffer, have suffered, and the Bible's message is that God shares our pain in this world and offers comfort to those that seek it through him.

I had a very good friend who died as a young adult leaving a wife and baby. He was a bricklayer by trade but gave it up to become a priest. He was a joy to be with and he honestly and openly took on board the suffering of his parishioners at a very personal level. He offered love, comfort and the promise of faith in the same way that Christians believe God does.

He was a 'brittle' diabetic, hard to control and he knew he would be unlikely to live a long life. But he filled his life with purpose and love, and not once did he complain' why me'. Why didn't God save him you may ask? For what? To live a few more years with an increasing amount of suffering that is linked to his condition. We look at the physical, God at the spiritual and the answer might be wrapped up in that.

I seem to be like someone trying to explain to you how a car engine works when you will find the complete answer by looking though the manual. And you know the manual I'm talking about...from the Greek it's called 'The Book'
    "Why didn't God save him, you may ask..."

Not really, as I was more interested in why your God chose to create this planet and allow millions of innocent children to suffer as a result.

I've never seen anybody explain this in a way other than "it is what it is" basically. You have done the same.

I've read The Bible by the way (well, the Old Testament anyway... The New Testament didn't have the enough theatrics to keep me entertained). I couldn't find the answers to why innocent children suffer as a consequence of simply being born... Which chapter and verse will provide that answer?

Can’t believe god can’t even zap diabetes better.

A Mars bar is literally more powerful than god.

Not really, as I was more interested in why your God chose to create this planet and allow millions of innocent children to suffer as a result.

I've never seen anybody explain this in a way other than "it is what it is" basically. You have done the same.

I've read The Bible by the way (well, the Old Testament anyway... The New Testament didn't have the enough theatrics to keep me entertained). I couldn't find the answers to why innocent children suffer as a consequence of simply being born... Which chapter and verse will provide that answer?
    As a father of a severely disabled child I'm always fascinated with religious people's answers to these types of questions. Have yet to see an answer that gives a satisfactory explanation.

“Surely I was sinful at birth, / sinful from the time my mother conceived me” (Psalm 51:5). “Even from birth the wicked go astray; / from the womb they are wayward, spreading lies” (Psalm 58:3).

Didn't pray enough

There was a programme about Sandhurst on several years ago where one training officer described that (wording changed due to i) lack of miliarty knowledge and ii) years since it was on but to give the gist of it) everyone ends up praying in the trenches.

If religion is used to provide reasonable comfort to the innocent child, as opposed to delusional hope or telling them they suffer because they hadn't said enough prayers, what is the harm? They may even become a morally stronger person, more charitable/kinder person because of it. Just means that roads are slightly busier on a Sunday morning and at other points in the week/year.