+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Songs Of Praise

Re: Songs Of Praise

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    It is morally indefensible to believe in something that is manifestly untrue because it makes you feel good.
    You mean like watching Eastenders?

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Only if you thinks that the characters in Eastenders are real

Watching Eastenders makes you feel good???? It’s wrist slashing TV....... Kevin’s safe in Coronation St though, that’s uplifting

[QUOTE=Taunton Blue Genie;5169378]

I believe in talking polka-dot cabbages riding three-headed manitees made of marshmallow. Try disproving their existence.
    You can't - so perhaps you need to reconsider your attitude about such things, pomeroy.
    The onus of proof is on you to prove that the things you refer to do in fact exist. I don’t have to prove that they don’t exist. End of story.

[QUOTE=lisvaneblue;5169398]
    N

Crick did not prove conclusively in the way you say. Crick said that Darwin's work coupled with Gregor Mendel work indicated how life was created. Mendel was a Christian and an Abbott at a priory in , I think, Germany.
    Crick and Watson filled in the gaps in Darwin’s work and established conclusively the concept of hereditary genetics by science based experimentation. I suggest reading Dawkins’ “ The Selfish Gene”. Mendel’s great work was largely ignored due to hysteria about Darwin.
    He was indeed a monk in Germany.

[QUOTE=RonnieBird;5169345]

A wise and uplifting post in the face of determined denial.
    The denial has always come from Christians and its here again

There is evidence that if you have a broken leg , the doctors can either operate to fix it or put it in a cast and it will slowly heal

Clear evidence , based on science

If you break your leg and don't get it treated you will end up with a deformed leg and a life of pain

This isn't down to free will , divine intervention or fairies at the bottom of the garden

Christians are always asked the basic question .......please provide evidence of the existence of God.......not quotes from the bible ......thats not evidence ......there are loads of versions of the bible written in different languages by different blokes , at different times , thats no proof of God

Please provide evidence of the existence of God, of evidence of a god made action or miracle or whatever

Anything at all

Not god is there for you or you must repent etc , does he exist ?

[QUOTE=SLUDGE FACTORY;5169458]
    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post

There is evidence that if you have a broken leg , the doctors can either operate to fix it or put it in a cast and it will slowly heal

If you break your leg and don't get it treated you will end up with a deformed leg and a life of pain

This isn't down to free will , divine intervention or fairies at the bottom of the garden

Christians are always asked the basic question .......please provide evidence of the existence of God.......not quotes from the bible ......thats not evidence ......there are loads of versions of the bible written in different languages by different blokes , at different times , thats no proof of God

Please provide evidence of the existence of God, of evidence of a god made action or miracle or whatever

Anything at all

Surely, as a belief, Christianity and other religions rely on what people believe, rather than being dependent on proof?

You believed Willie Boland was a great midfielder.....

International

[QUOTE=Eric the Half a Bee;5169460]
    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Surely, as a belief, Christianity and other religions rely on what people believe, rather than being dependent on proof?

[QUOTE=Taunton Blue Genie;5169378]

I believe in talking polka-dot cabbages riding three-headed manitees made of marshmallow. Try disproving their existence.
    You can't - so perhaps you need to reconsider your attitude about such things, pomeroy.
    You refer to the invisible pineapple theory of course.

[QUOTE=SLUDGE FACTORY;5169458]

Anything at all

I can do that actually and maybe I will one of these days but it's a very detailed and complicated logic which I'm not inclined to set down here for various reasons , but mostly because those who could learn from it are so very convinced of their present beliefs that they'd dismiss if without even trying to understand and I'd be wasting a lot of time explaining it.

I can do that actually and maybe I will one of these days but it's a very detailed and complicated logic which I'm not inclined to set down here for various reasons , but mostly because those who could learn from it are so very convinced of their present beliefs that they'd dismiss if without even trying to understand and I'd be wasting a lot of time explaining it.
    I have got a girlfriend but she's goes to another school so you wouldn't know her.

[QUOTE=pomeroy;5169436]
    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The onus of proof is on you to prove that the things you refer to do in fact exist. I don’t have to prove that they don’t exist. End of story.
    Whoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    What I am is resentful of a large percentage of religious people turning their eyes away from some of the facts that they don't wish to face because it doesn't suit their argument.
    Confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance have a lot to answer for when it comes to religious beliefs.

Thats my very point

I believe willie boland was a great midfielder but he was a good championship level player and no more than that

But I can prove that by the evidence , factual evidence , that he played at championship level for Cardiff City

That , is a fact

As is the fact that if I don't put petrol in my car it won't go anywhere

And if my heart stops beating and the medical people cannot get it going , I snuff it

Fact

I always ask Christian people for one simple fact that proves that God is not a belief like my Willie is the best player ever belief ......its one fecking tiny simple indisputable fact that God, their God, exists

One fact , they have had years

And plenty of time on this thread

But they can't because its impossible to find facts about something that exists in peoples imagination

They can say they KNOW God exists but I can say I know Liz Hurley thinks about me a lot but if I am asked to prove it , I can't

Because its bollocks

[QUOTE=RonnieBird;5169465]

give it a go

I believe that Cardiff City are top of the Premiership and will win this year’s Champions League. My belief in this doesn’t make it true even you could see the logic in this.

The one that i believe is missing from this thread is a middle ground. There is some leeway with faith, that may not be the case at the top of the tree, or amongst the most hard line believers, but what is important is that most people who do have a confidence in god are not hard line, they question plenty of things that are purportedly sent from god, or gods will. They are moderate people who take what they need from their belief system, as and when, it seems that some people in this thread can't quite understand that and are going to extremes to get their point across.

Faith is many different things to many different people. Political belief plays a part in how it is interpreted, outlook on life, characteristics and personality, as well as financial, personal situation and education levels. It isn't a system where everyone believes in fairies or the day of reckoning. It's also cultural, so people will believe in certain gods etc based on the environment that they were born in and nurtured towards, how else is it supposed to happen.

I'm not religious, i don't believe in a god, but this perception that those that do are at the extreme end of the scale in their beliefs, characteristics etc, just isn't true. Although it's a decent argument to make if you want to draw a line in the sand and take aim.

Heisenberg

God, if you're listening, please sort out the quote function for these fecking heathens.

God, if you're listening, please sort out the quote function for these fecking heathens.
    🤣🤣

God does not want Blasphemy repeated. His work is done my child.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The one that i believe is missing from this thread is a middle ground. There is some leeway with faith, that may not be the case at the top of the tree, or amongst the most hard line believers, but what is important is that most people who do have a confidence in god are not hard line, they question plenty of things that are purportedly sent from god, or gods will. They are moderate people who take what they need from their belief system, as and when, it seems that some people in this thread can't quite understand that and are going to extremes to get their point across.

Faith is many different things to many different people. Political belief plays a part in how it is interpreted, outlook on life, characteristics and personality, as well as financial, personal situation and education levels. It isn't a system where everyone believes in fairies or the day of reckoning. It's also cultural, so people will believe in certain gods etc based on the environment that they were born in and nurtured towards, how else is it supposed to happen.

I'm not religious, i don't believe in a god, but this perception that those that do are at the extreme end of the scale in their beliefs, characteristics etc, just isn't true. Although it's a decent argument to make if you want to draw a line in the sand and take aim.
    Absolutely.

I'd add that if it gives people strength in times of difficulty, gives people hope when there appears to be little, gives people a spiritual level they feel they need, gives them a purpose they lacked, how can we say it's a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Absolutely.

I'd add that if it gives people strength in times of difficulty, gives people hope when there appears to be little, gives people a spiritual level they feel they need, gives them a purpose they lacked, how can we say it's a bad thing?
    I think that people can say what they like, Eric. What needs to be taken into consideration is that the 'membership' certainly doesn't represent the most brutal, hardline aspects of religion, it's not even close in my opinion. That's an important aspect in this debate, although ignored. The subject is very complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Absolutely.

Well, it’s the cause of most wars for starters.

It's like they've all attended a course run by splott parker over the weekend or something

[QUOTE=delmbox;5169538]It's like they've all attended a course run by splott parker over the weekend or something

Shame I missed it. Is he running another one?