Live on Sky Sports

Match Officials:

Referee: TIM ROBINSON
    Assistants: Andrew Fox and Lee Venamore
    Fourth Official : Stephen Martin

Re: LUTON TOWN v CARDIFF CITY: Match thread

Mixed bag with Mr Robinson in charge.

2-0 defeat at Norwich this season

Last season, home draw with Fulham, away wins at both Sheffield Wednesday and Bristol. Away draws at Fulham and Millwall

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Last season, home draw with Fulham, away wins at both Sheffield Wednesday and Bristol. Away draws at Fulham and Millwall
    Kenilworth Rd must rank as the poorest Championship ground I've ever been to.
    What's yours......you've been to far more than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Ninian Park towards the end.....decrepit and due to its imminent demolition left to go to rack and ruin.

I would base it on what I consider makes an away trip, rather than just the ground.

Abertawe Town obviously, because it’s overall the worst trip ever.

I would say, in the same category, is Bristol City, but I don’t go anywhere near the place or the people. Horrible human beings.

Shit views from grounds, gotta be QPR, but it’s a great day out.

Shit places to go, gotta be both Sheffield’s and Nottingham Forest, as they don’t let you into the pubs

I don't mind Kenilworth Rd, quirky, and that stairway through the middle of those terraced houses should be a protected feature Some of the locals are a bit feisty mind.

Fair play Bluetit, impressed with your knowledge of referees and their performance. I only notice a referee if he's had a great game or a massive stinker. Even then i can't remember their name, apart from Barry Knight....

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Fair play Bluetit, impressed with your knowledge of referees and their performance. I only notice a referee if he's had a great game or a massive stinker. Even then i can't remember their name, apart from Barry Knight....
    No magic involved, it’s called the tinternet

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tim-...tbewerb_id=GB2

No magic involved, it’s called the tinternet

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tim-...tbewerb_id=GB2
    There was me thinking that you were a man of knowledge.....

He had a blue shirt on for that game at Hillsborough. Hoilett's tackle was horrendous!

There was me thinking that you were a man of knowledge.....

I’m lucky to remember MY NAME, since lockdown

I’m lucky to remember MY NAME, since lockdown
    Bluetit?

Bluetit?
    In this weather they are

Not on City TV? Guess that means finding a dodgy feed somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Not on City TV? Guess that means finding a dodgy feed somewhere...

Or go down the pub and watch it on Sky

It will be interesting to see if there any team changes. Judging by the photos of the team training I cant see many at all. Perhaps Ojo and Ralls might start. Apart from that MM is likely to keep the same team that looked knackered on Saturday in the end.
    Lutons form is a bit up and down . We bullied them at home and we can do the same tonight, although they play some clever football.
    2-0 City

It will be interesting to see if there any team changes. Judging by the photos of the team training I cant see many at all. Perhaps Ojo and Ralls might start. Apart from that MM is likely to keep the same team that looked knackered on Saturday in the end.
    Lutons form is a bit up and down . We bullied them at home and we can do the same tonight, although they play some clever football.
    2-0 City
    Nathan Jones is a City fan and was disgusted by his team’s performance at Cardiff City Stadium, I think he will be stoking them up for a match that will mean a lot to him.

As for Kenilworth Road, I’m with Tuerto, I quite like it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Nathan Jones is a City fan and was disgusted by his team’s performance at Cardiff City Stadium, I think he will be stoking them up for a match that will mean a lot to him.

As for Kenilworth Road, I’m with Tuerto, I quite like it.
    Horrible little stadium. Think I preferred Somerton Park. 😀

Horrible little stadium. Think I preferred Somerton Park. 😀
    Quite how Luton's ground gets a safety certificate, I'm not sure. Very restricted entry and exit for away fans, an away bar area that doesnt appear to have a secondary exit in the event of fire (with a theoretical max number of 60 in there but the stewards weren't counting), a refreshment area built onto old terraces so it was easy to stumble backwards when getting a drink, walls at the front of the away end about 5 foot high (restricting the view and evacuation onto the pitch in an emergency), restricted view of the pitch unless you move around trying to find a decent view plus no facilities for away fans in the local area apart from the Con club which soon gets overwhelmed. Somerton Park is/was better!

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Quite how Luton's ground gets a safety certificate, I'm not sure. Very restricted entry and exit for away fans, an away bar area that doesnt appear to have a secondary exit in the event of fire (with a theoretical max number of 60 in there but the stewards weren't counting), a refreshment area built onto old terraces so it was easy to stumble backwards when getting a drink, walls at the front of the away end about 5 foot high (restricting the view and evacuation onto the pitch in an emergency), restricted view of the pitch unless you move around trying to find a decent view plus no facilities for away fans in the local area apart from the Con club which soon gets overwhelmed. Somerton Park is/was better!
    Bloody hell ! Don't forget the corrugated roof that fails to deaden the noise when folk scream and shout.

I'm in the minority nowadays when it comes to the football 'experience'. Would rather watch a 4th Division match live than a Champions League final on the TV. And certainly visit an older ground with a historical context as opposed to a modern stadium with huge arching roofs, views which require binoculars, and flat, cavernous atmospheres. Television has made younger 'fans' become used to seeing football played at a distance, the camera trying to keep as much of the pitch in play. It's only when you visit an older ground that you really get close to the play. Last season at Luton was one of the best away trips I've done. Tight to the pitch, up close to defenders and what they're shouting, you could sense that Jazz Richards was bricking himself every time Luton attacked down his side. Hear the whack as the ball hits a post, or the crunch of a tackle.
    These grounds had/have character, a distinctive appeal individual to each and every one. You couldn't explain that to Levy or the Spurs fans who can't identify players on the pitch because they're too far away. So long as their team is in the media, with potential for 'silverwear', they're happy to be a part of it. Same with Brady & Co. No small wonder that West Ham are doing well this season - their mausoleum is no worse than any other ground at the moment.
    Bit by bit the game is having it's good bits taken away - even the game itself is usually tedious at the top level. Hopefully I've a few seasons to go before it's completely sanitized..

Are you a HSE executive and did you get to see any of the game at Kenilworth rd? Only Joking

C'mon, it's great! I used to be mesmerised by old stadiums in the heart of a community. Shoehorned in, backing off to gardens, railway lines, turnstiles where the queue would meander onto the road (because they'd only opened one turnstile) Squeezed in refreshment bars as an add on etc. They probably weren't that safe, although i think of those types of stadiums when i picture a football match, more than i do the modern stadiums. I think for a lot of older football fans, old grounds were like pubs or greasy spoon cafe's, plenty of them were shit pits, the seating and scenery was long past it's sell by date, and the landlord-owner didn't give a shit for customer care. Although it was those facets that gave these establishments authenticity and character, it changed the mood, you felt part of something that isn't as prevalent today in my opinion.

Old Bastard rant, over

Are you a HSE executive and did you get to see any of the game at Kenilworth rd? Only Joking

C'mon, it's great! I used to be mesmerised by old stadiums in the heart of a community. Shoehorned in, backing off to gardens, railway lines, turnstiles where the queue would meander onto the road (because they'd only opened one turnstile) Squeezed in refreshment bars as an add on etc. They probably weren't that safe, although i think of those types of stadiums when i picture a football match, more than i do the modern stadiums. I think for a lot of older football fans, old grounds were like pubs or greasy spoon cafe's, plenty of them were shit pits, the seating and scenery was long past it's sell by date, and the landlord-owner didn't give a shit for customer care. Although it was those facets that gave these establishments authenticity and character, it changed the mood, you felt part of something that isn't as prevalent today in my opinion.

Old Bastard rant, over
    If I had ended up dealing with HSE something would have gone drastically wrong on a school trip...I was trained in risk assessment and in later years was (amongst other things) the school's Educational Visits Coordinator so all risk assessments went through me before the head signed them off. Staff training in risk assessment/school trip safety was another facet of my work. Consequently, it has become habit to always think about what could go wrong and mitigate any risk. Kenilworth Road has had its capacity reduced to improve safety and the stadium will be closed when Luton's new stadium is eventually completed. I think we were only offered 1000 tickets as a result. We might get to go to Kenilworth Road one more time before that and for anyone who does get the chance to go (and hadnt been).....go. It really is a dump, worse than NP, and I struggle to think of any other stadium that is so claustrophobic at times. Safe evacuation of the away end would be a challenge. After the Derby match, where the stadium had to be evacuated, it can happen. Stadia can be old, decrepit, lovable flea pits with corrugated roofs and restricted views.... but still safe.

I'd settle for one nil City, tonight.

If I had ended up dealing with HSE something would have gone drastically wrong on a school trip...I was trained in risk assessment and in later years was (amongst other things) the school's Educational Visits Coordinator so all risk assessments went through me before the head signed them off. Staff training in risk assessment/school trip safety was another facet of my work. Consequently, it has become habit to always think about what could go wrong and mitigate any risk. Kenilworth Road has had its capacity reduced to improve safety and the stadium will be closed when Luton's new stadium is eventually completed. I think we were only offered 1000 tickets as a result. We might get to go to Kenilworth Road one more time before that and for anyone who does get the chance to go (and hadnt been).....go. It really is a dump, worse than NP, and I struggle to think of any other stadium that is so claustrophobic at times. Safe evacuation of the away end would be a challenge. After the Derby match, where the stadium had to be evacuated, it can happen. Stadia can be old, decrepit, lovable flea pits with corrugated roofs and restricted views.... but still safe.

I'd settle for one nil City, tonight.
    Fair shout You do an important job. I can't call it tonight, really struggling at the moment, apart from the Coventry game, i really fancied us for that one. 1-1.

Smithies for Ratcliffe on the bench, otherwise the same squad.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Smithies for Ratcliffe on the bench, otherwise the same squad.
    I guess consistency is important at the moment as the players are learning a new system.
    but we looked knackered in the last quarter against Coventry, hopefully we make better use of the bench.