+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Swansea game this weekend

Swansea game this weekend

The game was called off on Friday, about 24 hours before kick off, due to a frozen pitch which was deemed unplayable with -4C temperature predicted overnight Friday. Looked a fair enough decision initially. However, Sheffield Wednesday have modern under soil heating at Hillsborough which was available. The club issued a statement on Saturday stating the heating was not able to cope with the predicted temperature ! -4C is hardly Siberian in my view and not unusual up there at this time of year. Cant help thinking there was something else going on, possibly relating to injuries to their squad ? Perhaps they took a leaf out of Derbys book of winter cheats to get it postponed and flicked the heating switch off on Thursday night 😀😀

Re: Swansea game this weekend

Perhaps they couldn’t afford to run the heating system. They’re a bit strapped for cash aren’t they?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Perhaps they couldn’t afford to run the heating system. They’re a bit strapped for cash aren’t they?
    That's my thought, too.

Undersoil heating is a luxury and an expensive one at that.

I'm not entirely sure what the rules are but I'd say that they don't necessarily have to use it just because they've got it.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    That's my thought, too.

Undersoil heating is a luxury and an expensive one at that.

I'm not entirely sure what the rules are but I'd say that they don't necessarily have to use it just because they've got it.
    My understanding, from what was said by Wednesday, is that it was in use but couldn't cope with such a low temperature !

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    My understanding, from what was said by Wednesday, is that it was in use but couldn't cope with such a low temperature !
    Cost saving??

Must cost a fortune heating up so much grass , I know growing the stuff hikes up ones electricity bill.

International

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Cost saving??

Must cost a fortune heating up so much grass , I know growing the stuff hikes up ones electricity bill.

Heard that it’s broken and they haven’t bothered to get it fixed to save cash....not sure how long ago, it could be weeks or years.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Heard that it’s broken and they haven’t bothered to get it fixed to save cash....not sure how long ago, it could be weeks or years.....
    The local Sheffield press are reporting that the main boiler for the undersoil heating system broke down in mid January - and there is a 19 week lead in time to getting replacement parts (Brexit.... eh!) and completing the repairs.

The last 4-5 days have been the coldest in Sheffield for about 10 years.

It could be a cynical cost saving exercise by a badly run, cash strapped club - but probably not in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Cost saving??