+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Doug Mountjoy

Doug Mountjoy

Doug has passed away aged 78. He was one of my favourite snooker players. When he potted a ball it stayed potted.
    He came close to winning the World Championship and put up a good fight against Steve Davis but back then Davis was almost unbeatable.

He then had that wonderful Indian summer when he won some big title ranking events in the late 90’s.

Rest in peace Doug and thanks for some great memories.

Re: Doug Mountjoy

I remember he held the record for the highest televised break of 145. R.I.P Doug Mountjoy

Just checked. It was late 80’s when he had that fantastic comeback to win some big events

Wales had 3 World class snooker players in a comparatively small pool back in the late 70's early 80's with Doug, Ray Reardon and Terry Griffiths.

Snooker was compulsive viewing back then, can't watch it at all nowadays, except maybe the odd frame or two if Ronnie O'Sullivan is playing.

RIP Doug Mountjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Parti Mellow View Post
    I remember he held the record for the highest televised break of 145. R.I.P Doug Mountjoy
    I watched the end of that break earlier . Took an absolute age. He had perfect position on the final blue but still had to look exactly where he wanted to leave the cue ball to pot the pink. He celebrated as if hed won the final.
    I remember him being on Record Breakers talking about the break later on.
    RIP Doug

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I watched the end of that break earlier . Took an absolute age. He had perfect position on the final blue but still had to look exactly where he wanted to leave the cue ball to pot the pink. He celebrated as if hed won the final.
    I remember him being on Record Breakers talking about the break later on.
    RIP Doug
    Just watched that break. Some lovely long pots in there. Back then televised 147’s were so rare.

At a time when the players themselves seemed to have greater maturity and were at ease engaging with the audience.

RIP Doug

RIP Doug - great memories - including this break which I remember seeing on Question of Sport - what happened next ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCuiwiL302E

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    RIP Doug - great memories - including this break which I remember seeing on Question of Sport - what happened next ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCuiwiL302E
    Brilliant!
    I wonder what the odds are for that happening again.
    Ted Lowe I think it was commentating said it "rarely" happens.
    I used to play a bit years ago and I'd never seen it happen.