+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you had to support one Team from Each Division+1 Foreign Team.

If you had to support one Team from Each Division+1 Foreign Team.

Not including City.

Prem-Man City- i don't care, i'm a whore, i could watch that football day and night.

Champ-Preston North End-I love their floodlights

League 1-Charlton Athletic-Old Traditional Club with decent fans.

League 2-Bradford-Big City, shouldn't be struggling like they are.

Foreign-Sevilla-Great stadium and great City.

Re: If you had to support one Team from Each Division+1 Foreign Team.

When you’ve been a football for a long time, you have spells where you don’t like the latest version of virtually every regular First Division/Premier League club at one time or another, but I can’t remember that happening with me for Southampton, so I’ll go for them.

Always liked Bournemouth for some reason.

Liked the name Accrington Stanley for as long as I can remember and I think they are perhaps the outstanding club in the Football League when it comes to achievement v budget.

Got to be Newport County.

Loved watching Barcelona around ten years ago.

Premier: Man City - I grew up near Manchester (born Cardiff) and everyone in my school was either City or United. I was City (after Cardiff).

Champ: Barnsley - genuine club and fans.

League 1: Bristol Rovers - I lived in Bristol for 6 years, 2 of them next to the Rovers ground.

League 2: Newport - got to have some Welsh in the list.

Foreign: Boca Juniors - I went around their ground years ago and it (and that part of BA) made an impression! Crazy fans.

PL Like Bob says, I have absolutely nothing against Soton, so them as I can't stand half of them
    Champ Coventry because I'm a glutton for punishment and hope they can move back
    L1 My housemate at uni was a Shrewsbury fan, so used to go watch them semi regularly
    L2 Newport

Foreign - Bordeaux as I just absolutely love Bordeaux

Aston villa
    Norwich
    crewe
    walsall
    celtic

Premier....Man City, not just for the way they play but for their die hard 25/30 thousand + fans who stuck by them in the third tier.
    Championship....Rotherham, in the shadow of their Sheffield neighbours, get relegated but then battle their way back up, great commentators, spoke with affection about their club as if it was their local pub side
    Division One...Accrington Stanley, just the whole romance about the comeback, a real Phoenix from the flames, 1962, they were gone, f*cked, kaput, yet here they are battling away in the top half of their division nearly 60 years later, Great name as well.
    Division Two....Tranmere Rovers, hit the skids after brushing shoulders fairly recently with the big boys during epic cup runs. Also loved the Friday night away games up there allowing us a full lads weekend in Liverpool after.
    Foreign...St. Pauli, never been but the bohemian aura around the club appeals to me. Hope to make a game there one day during a Hamburg weekender before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

Prem: Leicester. Former underdogs. Play in blue and play in style.

Championship: Besides City, Coventry. Watched them as a kid occasionally as I have family from there

League One: Charlton, the team I used to watch when living in London

League Two: Nyoops and Exeter (closest league teams to Cardiff and Taunton respectively)

National League: Wrexham and Yeovil

Scotland: Dunfermline, the team I used to watch when posted to Scotland for 3 months

Abroad: Gladbach. Local team to where I used to live in Germany.

First Team

Prem: Spurs. I went to school there for a while and they were the family team.
    Div 1 Charlton. Once went out with a girl whose family followed them. Always a friendly old bunch and I loved watching Derek Hales.
    Div 2 Newport, just because I used to watch them a lot when City were playing away. Somerton Park was arguably the worst ground I have ever been too but it did have something about it.

Overseas: PSG , having been based in Paris for years I just got to a lot of their games.

Everton
    Birmingham City
    Portsmouth
    Exeter City
    Dynamo Dresden

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Premier....Man City, not just for the way they play but for their die hard 25/30 thousand + fans who stuck by them in the third tier.
    Championship....Rotherham, in the shadow of their Sheffield neighbours, get relegated but then battle their way back up, great commentators, spoke with affection about their club as if it was their local pub side
    Division One...Accrington Stanley, just the whole romance about the comeback, a real Phoenix from the flames, 1962, they were gone, f*cked, kaput, yet here they are battling away in the top half of their division nearly 60 years later, Great name as well.
    Division Two....Tranmere Rovers, hit the skids after brushing shoulders fairly recently with the big boys during epic cup runs. Also loved the Friday night away games up there allowing us a full lads weekend in Liverpool after.
    Foreign...St. Pauli, never been but the bohemian aura around the club appeals to me. Hope to make a game there one day during a Hamburg weekender before I shuffle off this mortal coil.
    Remember when Tranmere had Aldridge and Nevin playing for them? Flirted with the top flight for a bit if memory serves.

Prem - Sheff Utd
    Champ - Sheff Wed
    League One - Burton Albion
    League Two - Forest Green Rovers

Foreign - St. Pauli

Top flight .......Burnley or Watford, when they were there , any club that sticks it up the big boys

Championship , Barnsley , Rotherham or Brentford ........small clubs , surrounded by the big boys

League One Rochdale , see above

League Two Leyton Orient , see above

Tottenham
    Swansea
    Sunderland
    Newport County
    Borussia Fortmund

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Top flight .......Burnley or Watford, when they were there , any club that sticks it up the big boys

Championship , Barnsley , Rotherham or Brentford ........small clubs , surrounded by the big boys

League One Rochdale , see above

League Two Leyton Orient , see above
    Sludge the Rebel, not following the brief.

Premier - Would be Spurs. I have a branch of my family in the Aberdare Valley who are Spurs fans. They often go. It all started in the 60's because they thought White Hart Lane sounded romantic!

Championship - Sheffield Wednesday - one of the first ever football annuals I remember told the story of the 1966 Cup Final. I always felt sorry for the Owls losing after leading to Everton

League 1 - Portsmouth - always thought that there were parallels between them and us.

League 2 Cewnty - used to watch them every other Saturday when i lived there.

Overseas - Juventus - Because of A the kit (especially with white shorts and white socks) B the Welsh players who played for them. I once wrote a song about John Charles Il Gigante Buono- you can hear it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yur8...annel=JohnWake

Also have a thing for St Pauli.

Tottenham
    Sheff Wed
    Hull
    Newport

Juventus

Leicester - named after my favourite jockey

Derby - second favourite race of the year after the Grand National

Fleetwood - brilliant in the last Ryder Cup

Morecambe - a Wise choice

Molde - the name kind of grows on you

Prem- Spurs , always entertained .

Champ- Brentford deserve promotion.

League 1-Pompey fan passion like us.

League 2- Cwnty

Foreign- St Pauli , Hamburg Top City ironic club.

Great Post 👍

Villa - closest Prem team, many friends who support them, closest thing to a City day out

Stoke - used to live there, many friends who support them, closest thing to a City day out

Bristol Rovers, misspent youth in Eastville, Rovers, greyhounds & speedway

Forest Green Rovers, a long association with the club having played against them many times

Barcelona - I liked the kit about 50 years ago & didn’t like Madrid

Hibernian- anyone other than the Auld firm & I like Green

Cinderford Town, where I go for a dose of real football and banter with the linesman since I’ve given up going to every City away game

West ham - family connections
    Norwich - great regional support and passion
    Plymouth - see above
    Col u - local team
    Rangers WATP

Love this thread, thanks Tuerto.

EPL: Leicester probably - only because they are a club I think we should be trying to emulate
    CH: QPR, for the only reason I am friends with their football in the community guy, Andre
    L1: Sunderland - grandfather was from Sunderland (I've also always had a soft spot for Bristol Rovers)
    L2: Newport - as much as we are rivals I love seeing them do well
    Foreign: FC Pauli

[QUOTE=Cleve van Leef;5168734
    Borussia Fortmund[/QUOTE]

Hell of a defence

Premier - Leicester. An example to VT of what his club could achieve if he took more interest in the football side.
    Champ-Norwich. Lived there for a while and watched them quite regularly
    League 1 - Shrewsbury. Family connections and try to watch them whenever I visit.
    League 2 -Newport. Got friends who watch them and tag along every now and then. There always seems less pressure and angst from fans directed towards the players and manager - a much more relaxed approach.
    Foreign-not sure. Possibly Nantes. Not because of Sala, but because of links to the area for the last 20+ years.

Prem: Spurs as the closest league club to me.
    Champ: Brentford.
    L1: Donny.
    L2: the county or orient as the 2nd closest league club to me.
    Foreign: Cerezo Osaka.

A bit of love for Newport in this thread. I just can't bring myself to like them. Maybe it's a generation thing. During my teenage years, we were competing with Newport, both on and off the pitch. Plenty of years have past and worlds apart in footballing terms, although i still don't like them that much.