+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you had to support one Team from Each Division+1 Foreign Team.

Re: If you had to support one Team from Each Division+1 Foreign Team.

Re: the county. I’ve never seen the city play them in a league/meaningful tie. Although if both teams were playing consistently at the same level I do think that would become the South Wales derby for both clubs, it just hasn’t been like that save to those that came of age during a brief period in the 80s. I was watching Merthyr play Newport in the southern league in my teenage years for example, in my mind’s eye that’s the sort of hard done by underdog they are to me.

It’s also hard not to have your heart warmed slightly with their post 80s plight and their long road back to the football league.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Re: the county. I’ve never seen the city play them in a league/meaningful tie. Although if both teams were playing consistently at the same level I do think that would become the South Wales derby for both clubs, it just hasn’t been like that save to those that came of age during a brief period in the 80s. I was watching Merthyr play Newport in the southern league in my teenage years for example, in my mind’s eye that’s the sort of hard done by underdog they are to me.

It’s also hard not to have your heart warmed slightly with their post 80s plight and their long road back to the football league.
    I don't hate Newport, it's not at that level, and i wanted them to get back into the league and resist the FAW and that Alan Evans bloke. They were competing with us sporadically from about 82-87 if memory serves. My formative years as a City fan. I saw them as real rivals during that period, certainly were during the 82-83 season. I wish them no pain, i just can't bring myself to show them any love

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't hate Newport, it's not at that level, and i wanted them to get back into the league and resist the FAW and that Alan Evans bloke. They were competing with us sporadically from about 82-87 if memory serves. My formative years as a City fan. I saw them as real rivals during that period, certainly were during the 82-83 season. I wish them no pain, i just can't bring myself to show them any love
    More than fair pal 👍.

In a way shame we haven’t played them historically as much as the jacks or wurzels say, as I think it would be a proper derby.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    More than fair pal 👍.

In a way shame we haven’t played them historically as much as the jacks or wurzels say, as I think it would be a proper derby.
    It would be, especially if Newport had kicked on and become more successful. The Swansea Derby is an odd one really. Fifty miles between us, hardly any contact between supporters and not many links between the two cities. I hate losing to them but there's no grief on a monday morning, no Swansea shirts knocking about to rub your nose in it. I don't even know any Swansea fans, it's all very distant. If Newport established themselves a little higher up the system and grew their fanbase, then i reckon that it'd be a nasty one with plenty of grief before and after.

Prem - Spurs, I only live down the road so technically my local club

Champ - Coventry City, went to Uni and lived there for 3 years, used to go watch the odd game

League 1 - Ipswich Town, my Mrs family are from Suffolk and follow them, have spent a few Boxing Dyas at Portman Road

League 2 - Leyton Orient, some good pubs in east London to have a beer pre match

Abroad - Marseille, South of France, near the coast, Provence, bit of a mad fanbase, always under achieving, lovely kit (had the Panasonic top as a kid in the early 90s), could see my self following them or one of the Italians Inter/Napoli/Sampdoria.

Prem: Fulham - Love their ground
    Championship: Bournmouth again because of the place (Or Millwall for a laugh)
    L1: Oxford or Pompey
    L2: Exeter
    Abroad: Barcalona/Bangkok FC - 2 places in the world I could easily live.

For me honours don't really mean that much, it's all about the place.

Prem: Villa, a proper traditional top class club.

Champ: Sheffield Wednesday (as above)

League 1: Accrington, Iconic club

League 2: Barrow, another blast from the past back in the League (only just at the moment)

Foreign: St Pauli and Boca (it's the rebel in me)

prem is difficult to choose at the moment. you can't help but be impressed by the way that man city play, but I'm never keen on teams being too dominant, so I want them and Liverpool to lose all the time now.
    man utd are good fun to watch at the moment, although that would immediately Change if they won anything significant.
    I used to like spurs under pochettino, but I really don't like mourihnio sides.
    Leicester are easy to like at the moment.
    wolves have some fun players but a very dour manager.
    I think I would probably go for Brighton, as they're trying to things the right way.
    Leeds would be close also.

championship it would have to be Norwich or Brentford - both teams playing great football and run very well.

league one - AFC Wimbledon or Crewe

league 2 Newport or forest green

foreign - Ajax, Bilbao, someone like that

Prem - Spurs - liked their football under Poch, love the Welsh contingent there now, unreal stadium and they're my partner's local team

Championship - Brentford - You've got to admire they way they run their club and the attacking football they play

L1 - Ipswich - Had a soft spot for them ever since the "keep standing" banner at the last game at Ninian Park

L2 - Forest Green Rovers - I like their sustainable green attitude

Foreign - Juventus - Not sure why but I've just always liked them, even more so now that Rambo's there

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    prem is difficult to choose at the moment. you can't help but be impressed by the way that man city play, but I'm never keen on teams being too dominant, so I want them and Liverpool to lose all the time now.
    man utd are good fun to watch at the moment, although that would immediately Change if they won anything significant.
    I used to like spurs under pochettino, but I really don't like mourihnio sides.
    Leicester are easy to like at the moment.
    wolves have some fun players but a very dour manager.
    I think I would probably go for Brighton, as they're trying to things the right way.
    Leeds would be close also.

championship it would have to be Norwich or Brentford - both teams playing great football and run very well.

league one - AFC Wimbledon or Crewe

league 2 Newport or forest green

foreign - Ajax, Bilbao, someone like that
    Decisive

Premier League.... Rangers Had an amazing season under Steven Gerrard.
    Championship ..... Cardiff?
    League One ........ Portsmouth . Always enjoyed going to their ramshackle ground, good atmosphere.
    League two .........Newport . I like going over to watch them play . The football in that league feels more honest .

Abroad . Rangers again . Most improved coefficient in Europe .

Prem - Leicester. Have a mate who's a big fan, always go home + away if when we play each other. Proper club
    L1 - Plymouth. Dad was from there
    L2 - Cwnty. Always watch for their results as as Welsh team
    National - Wrexham, see above
    Foreign - Espanyol. Lived near Barcelona for years and could not bring myself to follow the "big" club.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Premier....Man City, not just for the way they play but for their die hard 25/30 thousand + fans who stuck by them in the third tier.
    Championship....Rotherham, in the shadow of their Sheffield neighbours, get relegated but then battle their way back up, great commentators, spoke with affection about their club as if it was their local pub side
    Division One...Accrington Stanley, just the whole romance about the comeback, a real Phoenix from the flames, 1962, they were gone, f*cked, kaput, yet here they are battling away in the top half of their division nearly 60 years later, Great name as well.
    Division Two....Tranmere Rovers, hit the skids after brushing shoulders fairly recently with the big boys during epic cup runs. Also loved the Friday night away games up there allowing us a full lads weekend in Liverpool after.
    Foreign...St. Pauli, never been but the bohemian aura around the club appeals to me. Hope to make a game there one day during a Hamburg weekender before I shuffle off this mortal coil.
    St Pauli is a great experience.

E-mail their Fanladen before you go as they put aside an allocation of tickets for foreign fans to attend per game and are usually good for a few.
    Usually tickets for the noisier parts of the ground too.

The Reeperbahn is an experience pre and post game too.