Gotta keep the shirt, haven’t he?

Re: Dillon Phillips

Prefer Smithies myself

he's done nothing wrong so far.

he'll be on a much lower wage than smithies too probably

I’m not convinced by him.

The defence has ensured he’s had very little to do, literally hasn’t had to make a decent save, which he hasn’t.

Doesn’t seem to command his box as well as Smithies, particularly with taking crosses in the six yard box.

Smithies is one of the better keepers in the division, and I’d put him back in as soon as he’s fit enough.

Smithies only kept the spot after an Etheridge injury

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    I’m not convinced by him.

The defence has ensured he’s had very little to do, literally hasn’t had to make a decent save, which he hasn’t.

Doesn’t seem to command his box as well as Smithies, particularly with taking crosses in the six yard box.

Smithies is one of the better keepers in the division, and I’d put him back in as soon as he’s fit enough.
    Made a few stops last week.

Hasn’t put a foot wrong.

Long term no 1 sorted

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he's done nothing wrong so far.

he'll be on a much lower wage than smithies too probably
    Isn’t Smithies the highest earner?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Isn’t Smithies the highest earner?
    I saw something that said he was - but who knows how reliable those lists are

I’m a big smithies fan, but I think he might have to wait his turn as Phillips has slotted in and done nothing wrong.

He’s made a few stops, including a cracking save in his first game at a key moment in the game.

Either way it’s clear we have two decent keepers at this level. A position we always seem to get right.

Smithies is a class and potentially the best in the division, I'd like to Phillips in a team that is under pressure and involved a losing stream , before judging him against Smithies

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Smithies only kept the spot after an Etheridge injury
    Wasn't Smithies was supposed to be the number 1? Meaning that it was Etheridge who kept the spot and Smithies finally took his rightful place when Etheridge got injured?

Deserves to keep the jersey. However, as someone mentioned in this thread, he needs to command his box a bit more.

I don't get how anyone can be critical of Phillips based on what he's done for us and I can only ask if Bluebird 23 was watching the Rotherham match when he kept us on level terms for the first forty odd minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I saw something that said he was - but who knows how reliable those lists are

I saw that list on here saying that he was the highest earner. As you say, we don’t know how reliable it is but, if true, the club may take a view that the adequate cheaper option of Philips will mean that Smithies has to go. His contract is up in June 2022 according to Transfermarket. No parachute payment next year, perhaps we won’t be able to afford Smithies and Phillips is the future ?

Smithies is as good as anyone in the championship, Phillips looks like a more than competent keeper and young Radcliffe from the academy is very highly rated

We are particularly strong in the goalkeeping dept at present

Andy Dibble appears to be doing a really good job behind the scenes

Hes doing well.

Smithies is class though. Id put Smithies in.

Can the club afford to give shirts away, in these hard times ?

Smithies is the no. 1 and will come back in when fit I'm sure. Unless the management feel Phillips should be no. 1.

I think it's best if your first choice keeper plays unless injured or has a poor run of form, not one or two matches, not that Smithies has done much wrong at all anyway.

Phillips has shown he is more than capable at this level, but with goalkeepers there is usually a structure there and he would have known that when signing. What he has done though is show that if Smithies isn't on his game then he is more than ready to take the position.

I'm a Smithies fan but I think Phillips deserves to keep his place.

How long does smithies have left on his contract?

Smiffy's kicking is by far superior..

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Gotta keep the shirt, haven’t he?
    True of all positions but goalies really depend on confidence. The first thing Phillips did was to spill a fairly straightforward shot that ended up going safe. He spilled another one in a different game with same lucky result. Let's hope we don't find out what happens when it'd lead to a goal

Had this exact chat last night, I think I'd go back to Smithies as he's the better keeper but he can't complain if he doesn't get back in. Credit to Phillips for making it a debate, he's done really well so far.

Smithies wasn't playing particularly well in the games before he was ill, but I still think he's a better goalkeeper than Phillips at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Smithies wasn't playing particularly well in the games before he was ill, but I still think he's a better goalkeeper than Phillips at the moment.
    I agree with all of that, but Phillips hasn't let us down at all yet and so I'd say he has to keep the shirt for now.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree with all of that, but Phillips hasn't let us down at all yet and so I'd say he has to keep the shirt for now.
    This is how i see it too Paul. And judging by a pre kick off Sky sports interview with MM last night, that is how it is going to be. I really think the same should have happened with Bagan, but Bennett got the nod when fit, even though Bagan played well/did nothing wrong to be dropped. But the latter happened when NH was calling the shots.
    Spedger