+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ref squares up to player, League One...

Ref squares up to player, League One...

Never seen anything like this before...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55373546
    Ref squares up.jpg
    Referee Darren Drysdale locked heads with Ipswich midfielder Alan Judge in an extraordinary exchange during their goalless League One draw with Northampton.

The official moved his head towards the Irishman in the final moments of the match and then briefly appeared to square up to the 32-year-old, before being ushered away by Northampton's Lloyd Jones.

Re: Ref squares up to player, League One...

I've always been impressed by how professional they are, the amount of shit they get during and after a match, yet none of them ever look to get involved.

I quite like this though, just people at end of the day.

He looks like he would destroy Judge as well.

International

Not the kind of guy you'd rush to pick a fight with either, by the look of him.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Not the kind of guy you'd rush to pick a fight with either, by the look of him.
    RAF Sargeant v diving short arse.

I know where my dough is going.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    RAF Sargeant v diving short arse.

I know where my dough is going.
    A few more refs like him in the higher leagues might sort a few out too.

First Team

It has always amazed me how refs keep their cool when being screamed at by players .
    I guess such a response was always going to happen at some stage but it will probably be the ref who ends up being sanctioned.

I don't particularly see the issue with this, as said before they get so much abuse from players it was always going to happen.
    I wonder what was said to spark the reaction.

I've never played football at any sort of level but imagine that this sort of thing goes on every weekend at parks matches?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    A few more refs like him in the higher leagues might sort a few out too.
    It's a pity none ever stood up to that whinge bag Ferguson. I would loved to have seen a picture of this with Ferguson being Alan Judge

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/st...747012101?s=20

If the ref gets punished for that it's ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post

He shouldn't be behaving like that though. I hope that he isn't punished and that it's used as a way of showing footballers and supporters that they're human like the rest of us. I don't slag off refs, i find that it's almost always the morons that pick on the officials for petty mistakes. He shouldn't have done that, andi think it was a penalty, although that doesn't excuse the players reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He shouldn't be behaving like that though. I hope that he isn't punished and that it's used as a way of showing footballers and supporters that they're human like the rest of us. I don't slag off refs, i find that it's almost always the morons that pick on the officials for petty mistakes. He shouldn't have done that, andi think it was a penalty, although that doesn't excuse the players reaction.
    Glad someone feels like I do about this. I'm not defending the player at all as he probably deserved it, but refs shouldn't do that - hopefully, he'll just get a bit of a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post

It doesn't look too bad there, but the other two Ipswich players react as if the ref said something he shouldn't have - can't see there being much comeback over that.

From a player's perspective I've always been a believer of letting the ref know if he's made what you consider is the wrong decision as, provided it is not personal abuse, you may get the benefit of the doubt next time.

Some of the decisions that referee last night made were either blatant cheating or plain incompetence.
    It's all fine though because we won the game but judging by many on here's reactions in the match thread, it may have been a different story on here.
    How our players didn't get more involved with him over some of his decisions is credit to them.

There are players though these days who will overstep the mark.
    It seems in this case Judge was one of these and his comments, ahem, ill-judged.

I hope that, as has been mentioned, the referee isn't crucified for this but is used as an "exemplar" of how not to behave and a lesson to players.
    As we all know, without referees we have no beautiful game.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Glad someone feels like I do about this. I'm not defending the player at all as he probably deserved it, but refs shouldn't do that - hopefully, he'll just get a bit of a warning.
    He should have been withdrawn immediately and the 4th official take over.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    He should have been withdrawn immediately and the 4th official take over.
    No, he should have knocked him out. I would have knocked him out.

lets be honest, most love to abuse / criticise the ref if we feel they make a mistake,

Ive ref'ed my U 13 girls team friendlies and the abuse you get from parents and the other coaches is just laughable, but saying that, its crept so far into the game that players think they can do it ( i havent had a player criticise me, i did have our captain ( who is also my daughter ) ask if she could have a word and asked why i didnt give a pen for a handball, truthfully i didnt see it, though my other coach said i missed it aswell, so it looks like my daughter was right ) we have taught our girls if they have a issue, speak to the captain and then the captain goes to ask to speak to the ref ( in a break in play ) this serves 2 purposes, teaches them not to crowd the ref and pressure / abuse him / her ( its respectful ) and lt lets the ref know that thy are keeping a eye on him / her

we have a few girl ref's in our league ( makes sense as its a girls league ) and ive been told to zip it a few times, thankfully a few of them know me now, i always apologise that when i watch a game i might shout" ref - handball " or " come on ref, that was a foul " etc etc, i did it as a player, as a fan and now as a coach, its easy to lose yourself in a game and forget you are not a supporter and it is just that, i get so engrossed in the game, i forget Im the coach

As a coach ive had another coach come and square upto me, i told him to wait in the car park till all the girls had gone and we will discuss it, i went to pack up the goals and he dragged a dad over aswell and they both started mouthing on at me, i told them both " i said we can sort this f-ing out after the girls have gone, wait in the car park " , i finished packing away and made my way to the car park, they drove away. we have to have a time and a place to do that crap, not infront of the girls

We have also had a 2 dads come over and get angry that we had packed our defence with 3 CB's and a RB / LB in the 2nd 1/2, it was 7 V 7 at the time, we sat back played 1 up top and wanted to stop this team from scoring too many against us in the 2nd 1/2, as it happens we hit them on the break and won 1 - 0 , 2 of the dads were livid that we had played like we did and stopped this team winning the league that day, they even had medals to hand out at the end of the game as they expected to beat us ( the sheer arrogance of them, even the other teams players told ours they were going to win the league today as they warmed up ) they were very angry and wanted a fight, i must admit, i didnt help the situation when i shouted to them, hope them medals dont rust

We used to laud Pierluigi Collina for not taking any ****.

He should get a promotion not a disciplinary.

Not exactly our Nige, is he !

"..now listen chaps ...."

that should be it, he has held his hands up and apologised

Yet by doing that has admitted being wrong, so will now have to face the consequences

Hmmm.
    Admirable he's come out and apologised but this may well have made the situation worse for himself.
    He'll probably be lucky be officiating on the parks next year.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    lets be honest, most love to abuse / criticise the ref if we feel they make a mistake,

Ive ref'ed my U 13 girls team friendlies and the abuse you get from parents and the other coaches is just laughable, but saying that, its crept so far into the game that players think they can do it ( i havent had a player criticise me, i did have our captain ( who is also my daughter ) ask if she could have a word and asked why i didnt give a pen for a handball, truthfully i didnt see it, though my other coach said i missed it aswell, so it looks like my daughter was right ) we have taught our girls if they have a issue, speak to the captain and then the captain goes to ask to speak to the ref ( in a break in play ) this serves 2 purposes, teaches them not to crowd the ref and pressure / abuse him / her ( its respectful ) and lt lets the ref know that thy are keeping a eye on him / her

we have a few girl ref's in our league ( makes sense as its a girls league ) and ive been told to zip it a few times, thankfully a few of them know me now, i always apologise that when i watch a game i might shout" ref - handball " or " come on ref, that was a foul " etc etc, i did it as a player, as a fan and now as a coach, its easy to lose yourself in a game and forget you are not a supporter and it is just that, i get so engrossed in the game, i forget Im the coach

As a coach ive had another coach come and square upto me, i told him to wait in the car park till all the girls had gone and we will discuss it, i went to pack up the goals and he dragged a dad over aswell and they both started mouthing on at me, i told them both " i said we can sort this f-ing out after the girls have gone, wait in the car park " , i finished packing away and made my way to the car park, they drove away. we have to have a time and a place to do that crap, not infront of the girls

We have also had a 2 dads come over and get angry that we had packed our defence with 3 CB's and a RB / LB in the 2nd 1/2, it was 7 V 7 at the time, we sat back played 1 up top and wanted to stop this team from scoring too many against us in the 2nd 1/2, as it happens we hit them on the break and won 1 - 0 , 2 of the dads were livid that we had played like we did and stopped this team winning the league that day, they even had medals to hand out at the end of the game as they expected to beat us ( the sheer arrogance of them, even the other teams players told ours they were going to win the league today as they warmed up ) they were very angry and wanted a fight, i must admit, i didnt help the situation when i shouted to them, hope them medals dont rust
    F*ck me Matt, trouble follows you around, I’d have a word with myself if I were you

I hate to say it, but I think he's lost control. Sad to see, but difficult to understand. There is football on all day, every week, and you don't see referees doing that very often (if at all). I'm sure there was something more to it, but that's no excuse. I think he\ll be removed from the lists for a six month or even twelve month ban.
    When I was reffing, the biggest problem was the parents - and usually it was the parents of the team I was coaching (ie. my team).

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    F*ck me Matt, trouble follows you around, I’d have a word with myself if I were you
    Honestly the 1st incident was completely not my fault

the 2nd i must admit i didnt help the situation with my " hope them medals dont rust " comment, but for them to bring medals to our ground with the idea to hand them to the players after they have beaten us was a good enough reason for us to play 5 in defence and stop them scoring

i tell myself that 2 incidents in 3 years coaching isnt bad infact its positively good

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Honestly the 1st incident was completely not my fault

the 2nd i must admit i didnt help the situation with my " hope them medals dont rust " comment, but for them to bring medals to our ground with the idea to hand them to the players after they have beaten us was a good enough reason for us to play 5 in defence and stop them scoring

i tell myself that 2 incidents in 3 years coaching isnt bad infact its positively good
    Great respect to you for giving up your time for the kids