What sort of player is he? Position?

Re: Owen Pritchard signs a professional contract

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    bollocks to all the technicalities, can he kick it high

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Hard to know his best position based on his performances for the under 23s this season because he has I believe has played right back, right wing back, central defence and central midfield so far. He and Taylor Jones have broken into the team this season and both look very good prospects to me, but Pritchard has picked up what I thought was a unlucky two yellows cards against Charlton last week and then a cheap and needless one on Tuesday against Watford, so that seems to be a bit of an area of concern for him at the moment.

No sign of a new contract for Sam Bowen whos been playing well for the Under 23s lately. He can pass the ball though so I imagine the club will want to move him on.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    No sign of a new contract for Sam Bowen whos been playing well for the Under 23s lately. He can pass the ball though so I imagine the club will want to move him on.
    Can he pass it to the clouds? If so there may be a future for him here

If Sam Bowen was able to cope with the step up to first team football and there was a genuine desire to play more of a passing game (far from convinced there is) he would save us a lot of money because we don’t really have a player like him at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I've only seen a few of the recent games, and there are several players who have done well recently - McWilliams, Patten, Bowen

Congratulations to Pritchard though

Good news about the young player getting a contract but honestly, what is the matter with you lot on this board ? The general consensus has been that we are playing better quality football, with more passing, movement, higher pressing and more goals since Mick McCarthy arrived (and actually winning games as well) and yet you cant resist the temptation to joke, snipe and carp at the team and the perceived style of play. I don't get it. No doubt you would all be happier watching teams like Derby passing the ball to death between their defenders and midfield (and losing) every week.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Good news about the young player getting a contract but honestly, what is the matter with you lot on this board ? The general consensus has been that we are playing better quality football, with more passing, movement, higher pressing and more goals since Mick McCarthy arrived (and actually winning games as well) and yet you cant resist the temptation to joke, snipe and carp at the team and the perceived style of play. I don't get it. No doubt you would all be happier watching teams like Derby passing the ball to death between their defenders and midfield (and losing) every week.
    Apologies for the frivolity

I would rather not watch football than watch us play.
    I missed the Derby football fest , but saw Middlesborough and Huddersfield.
    We are shocking.

It’s happened again. Anybody expressing the view that they’d like to see us pass the ball better, especially at the moment with us not losing games, is accused of wanting us to play tippy tippy football or wanting to pass to death. Speaking for myself, I just want to see us pass the ball better and am baffled, firstly, that there has been no serious attempt at the club to do something about this since our relegation and second, that there are people in our support who appear to think it would be a bad thing. How could a desire to try and get a team to pass the ball better be seen a negative thing?

I'd say that in each of our winning runs this season and last, where we're playing with confidence and against opposition on the back foot, we have passed the ball better than our average level. We've been once again on a winning run lately.

Do we look to pass as one main form of attack/defence or keep passing if not already on the front foot? Probably not yet.

Considering strong interest in developing youth now, professional contract to Pritchard, and that youth team are said to play more progressive stuff it's likely that our future is to become a team that does indeed pass the ball "better".

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I'd say that in each of our winning runs this season and last, where we're playing with confidence and against opposition on the back foot, we have passed the ball better than our average level. We've been once again on a winning run lately.

Do we look to pass as one main form of attack/defence or keep passing if not already on the front foot? Probably not yet.

Considering strong interest in developing youth now, professional contract to Pritchard, and that youth team are said to play more progressive stuff it's likely that our future is to become a team that does indeed pass the ball "better".
    And thats all I want to hear . there is no future in hoof ball no matter how many games we win.
    The future is down on the ground and attack.
    Like ManCity or Barca or Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It’s happened again. Anybody expressing the view that they’d like to see us pass the ball better, especially at the moment with us not losing games, is accused of wanting us to play tippy tippy football or wanting to pass to death. Speaking for myself, I just want to see us pass the ball better and am baffled, firstly, that there has been no serious attempt at the club to do something about this since our relegation and second, that there are people in our support who appear to think it would be a bad thing. How could a desire to try and get a team to pass the ball better be seen a negative thing?
    Yeah I don't understand the comments either - surely people enjoy watching players who have good footballing ability?
    We can still be direct and counterattack and pass the ball well. We don't need to play out from the back to see an improvement from passing well.

Nobody's wanting us to turn into the type of team who plays keep-ball but doesn't do anything with it.
    That type of tactic died out years ago, in reality there aren't really any teams that are trying to do that any more.
    Yes Derby struggled to get the ball forward against us recently, but mostly because our pressing was functioning so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yeah I don't understand the comments either - surely people enjoy watching players who have good footballing ability?
    We can still be direct and counterattack and pass the ball well. We don't need to play out from the back to see an improvement from passing well.

Nobody's wanting us to turn into the type of team who plays keep-ball but doesn't do anything with it.
    That type of tactic died out years ago, in reality there aren't really any teams that are trying to do that any more.
    Yes Derby struggled to get the ball forward against us recently, but mostly because our pressing was functioning so well.
    Man City, managed by the man who epitomises “tippy tippy” according to some, can be direct at times. As you say, the game has moved on from the Barcelona team of ten years ago and, as for Derby, twenty five goals scored from thirty five games rather tells a story - they’d have a fundamental problem no matter how they tried to play.

From what I have seen of young Bowen he has a very good passing range. Equally as good passing it long as he is short. Can put the ball on a six pence. He also seems to be playing with more energy recently than when I’ve watched him before.

I want to see players get on the ball and express themselves. Do things the average player cannot. I’d take 20 mins of Tomlin over 90 mins of most of our squad. If I just want to watch effort and passion I’ll go over the local park and watch a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    And thats all I want to hear . there is no future in hoof ball no matter how many games we win.
    The future is down on the ground and attack.
    Like ManCity or Barca or Rangers.
    Leave out of it!!!!