+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nathan Jones

Nathan Jones

"They're a tough side to play against because they're giants. They put you under pressure but I thought we handled that really well. We lost two centre-halves and, especially against these, I picked the biggest, strongest side I could pick - apart from our groundsman, who's 6ft 4in!"

Even taking into account the element of tongue-in-cheek, I find his comments to be quite strange. Fair enough, two of our three centre backs are tall, but then aren't most other teams' too? Keiffer is a lump up front, which again is quite common (Collins for them wasn't exactly small). Other than that, I have no idea where the "giants" reference comes from (insert the obvious punchline about his height.....).

Re: Nathan Jones

Id say we are the biggest side in the league and are playing to that.

Set pieces witn Flint Morrison and Moore in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    "They're a tough side to play against because they're giants. They put you under pressure but I thought we handled that really well. We lost two centre-halves and, especially against these, I picked the biggest, strongest side I could pick - apart from our groundsman, who's 6ft 4in!"

Even taking into account the element of tongue-in-cheek, I find his comments to be quite strange. Fair enough, two of our three centre backs are tall, but then aren't most other teams' too? Keiffer is a lump up front, which again is quite common (Collins for them wasn't exactly small). Other than that, I have no idea where the "giants" reference comes from (insert the obvious punchline about his height.....).
    Bennett, Vaulks, NG, Murphy and Wilson, are all small - Pack and Nelson are certainly not giants.

Bennet Vaulks NG and Murphy arent small.

Average height.

I don't know how accurate it is but fotmob app has Bennett as 6ft, NG and Vaulks at 5"11, pack as 6ft2, Nelson 6ft.

Wilson and Murphy more the averageish 5ft8. Then the monsters of Morrison, Moore and Flint.

It's probably fair enough. Although a few of those heights may be a bit off I'd say they are fairly accurate from looking at the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I don't know how accurate it is but fotmob app has Bennett as 6ft, NG and Vaulks at 5"11, pack as 6ft2, Nelson 6ft.

Wilson and Murphy more the averageish 5ft8. Then the monsters of Morrison, Moore and Flint.

It's probably fair enough. Although a few of those heights may be a bit off I'd say they are fairly accurate from looking at the players.
    Bennett must have 3inch studs

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Bennett must have 3inch studs
    Ha I wasn't sure on his.

Actually they have Flint at 6ft2, he's more 7ft2 isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Bennet Vaulks NG and Murphy arent small.

Average height.
    Okay, they're average height; but I think we can agree they're not giants.

I think Flints 6 6.

I think that jones is referring to the situations where height and and strength come into play a little more. Like set pieces or defending them, long balls etc, the positions where we can get the upper hand. I don't think that he's making woeful judgements on the height and aerial ability of Bacuna or Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post

The two goals scored by the giants aswell? Only giants can score goals like that Nathan....

I watched the interview from a link posted on their messageboard, it seemed like their local station.

I did think at first that he was being a bit disrespectful of us but it was for their own channel and he had to have some kind of rationale for their (fairly comfortable) beating.

I did then think that he is probably right.
    The stats shown on Sky, even though sometimes loaded, do not lie and the amount of goals we get from set plays (balls into the box to our "giants") is high.

It did beg the question though, "when you were chasing the game why pump balls into their box?"
    Flint was my MOTM so they obviously couldn't deal with him... at either end of the pitch.

Even if he was offside

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I watched the interview from a link posted on their messageboard, it seemed like their local station.

I did think at first that he was being a bit disrespectful of us but it was for their own channel and he had to have some kind of rationale for their (fairly comfortable) beating.

I did then think that he is probably right.
    The stats shown on Sky, even though sometimes loaded, do not lie and the amount of goals we get from set plays (balls into the box to our "giants") is high.

It did beg the question though, "when you were chasing the game why pump balls into their box?"
    Flint was my MOTM so they obviously couldn't deal with him... at either end of the pitch.

Even if he was offside
    I'm a bit surprised you picked Flint as your MOTM. Not that he didn't have a good game, just that Nelson stood out more.

He probably means we're sleeping giants. The way things are going in Catalonia, we'll be bigger than Barcelona soon!

"Look at the size of them!" We used to say in junior school.

One would like to think a professional footballer would be able to compensate for a lack of physical stature. With pace for example.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    He probably means we're sleeping giants. The way things are going in Catalonia, we'll be bigger than Barcelona soon!
    You have done it now, your comments will appear on planet swans by the end of the day

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    "Look at the size of them!" We used to say in junior school.

One would like to think a professional footballer would be able to compensate for a lack of physical stature. With pace for example.
    Your opening sentence reminded me of when I used to play rugby in high school. We'd arrive for an away fixture by coach, often the home team would be out warming up already.
    We'd look at the size of them compared to us and convince ourselves it couldn't possibly be them that we were playing, as they would always look at least a year older than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I'm a bit surprised you picked Flint as your MOTM. Not that he didn't have a good game, just that Nelson stood out more.
    Not sure really.
    Maybe because I hadn't rated Flint much and yesterday I thought he looked assured and confident.
    His no nonsense approach to Luton's crosses reminded me of Bamba when he first arrived.
    It could of course had something to do with him getting the assist for the game changing opener for Wilson.

As a unit, which obviously includes Nelson, we looked pretty solid last night and our system of 3 at the back with the two wing backs looks to be paying dividends.

Remember the Stoke side that Newport Tony took up to the premier league?

If i recall correctly they frequently had 11 players over 6 foot on the field at the same time.
    We are a long way from that.

We have a tall physical centre forward and 3 physical centre backs, and that's really it. At a push Joe bennett, but I wouldn't say anyone else in the side is particularly big or physical.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

If i recall correctly they frequently had 11 players over 6 foot on the field at the same time.

We have a tall physical centre forward and 3 physical centre backs, and that's really it. At a push Joe bennett, but I wouldn't say anyone else in the side is particularly big or physical.
    Agreed, which is why I found his comments to be a bit strange. I don't even think Nelson is that tall for a CB, relatively speaking.

Joe Bennett looks tiny to me. Surprised hes about 6ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Pack's at least 6ft and Vaulks is a pretty physical player

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Pack's at least 6ft and Vaulks is a pretty physical player
    Vaulks loves the physical side, and he's a wind up merchant on the pitch.

I just think that Jones was trying to deflect criticism away from him and his team. He did something similar after the defeat earlier in the season at CCS i.e. poor little footballing Luton kicked off pitch by big, over physical Cardiff City. In fact, they continually fouled and kicked Moore and Wilson, so they are definitely no angels and have a number of big, physical players themselves. Also for an apparently very religious person, Jones doesn't half have a foul mouth on the touchline during games which seems rather at odds with his beliefs and sets a pretty bad example to young fans.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I just think that Jones was trying to deflect criticism away from him and his team. He did something similar after the defeat earlier in the season at CCS i.e. poor little footballing Luton kicked off pitch by big, over physical Cardiff City. In fact, they continually fouled and kicked Moore and Wilson, so they are definitely no angels and have a number of big, physical players themselves. Also for an apparently very religious person, Jones doesn't half have a foul mouth on the touchline during games which seems rather at odds with his beliefs and sets a pretty bad example to young fans.
    Rubbish. I watched the interview he wasnt deflecting anything. He was brutally honest and said he tried to match our physicality but they were not able to.