+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Credit to McCarthy

Credit to McCarthy

His first objective must have been to get points by changing the mentality and morale. Given that he has been able achieve that, change the style, get individual players giving more, achieve three wins and two draws, deal with a transfer window, mobilise the academy players and get most fans onside must have exceeded even his expectations let alone ours.
    It could have gone awfully wrong but to date it hasn't and long may that continue to be case.

Re: Credit to McCarthy

Were you a detractor or promoter when he was appointed BA?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    His first objective must have been to get points by changing the mentality and morale. Given that he has been able achieve that, change the style, get individual players giving more, achieve three wins and two draws, deal with a transfer window, mobilise the academy players and get most fans onside must have exceeded even his expectations let alone ours.
    It could have gone awfully wrong but to date it hasn't and long may that continue to be case.
    I was sceptical I must admit, but I was never a Harris fan anyway. If he carries on he will have to be considered for staying on next season....rightly or wrongly

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    Were you a detractor or promoter when he was appointed BA?
    Chris
    I don’t believe I have ever commented on his appointment. ��
    He wouldn’t have been my choice, but then I don’t know who would have been, other than Eddie Howe of which we had no chance.
    But once he was appointed that was it.

I thought it was an awful appointment until I realised it was until the end of the season. Then I thought it made perfect sense as a short term appointment. He's done a great job changing things around, sadly it took to long to get someone in.

Yes, it's good for the fans to give credit when credit is due and he deserves it.

Brought him before we'd be much nearer ac play off spot, his biggest challenge is ahead, getting Tomlin onto the pitch and staying there .

The sceptic in me suggests they will fall out , no nonsense Mick v Tomlin the lad?

I even suggested hibernating until his tenure was over but fair play to the man. In just a few short weeks he's virtually banished the fear of relegation and put us within touching distance of the play-offs. I've always liked him as a person but was dismayed when he was appointed. In the short term it has turned out to be a masterstroke. I've no idea how the future will pan out but I'm delighted MM has proved my initial judgment to be totally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I thought it was an awful appointment until I realised it was until the end of the season. Then I thought it made perfect sense as a short term appointment. He's done a great job changing things around, sadly it took to long to get someone in.
    The thing is mate, if he does continue this form you know he'll get a full time contract. I have no faith that we're working furiously begins the scenes to get a manager lined up.

If he does continue the form I think he deserves a season shot, but it won't be the change of direction that many want.

I was sceptical of his appointment, disappointed even.

However, he has done much better than I expected. Not just in terms of results but seeing his commitment to the academy and younger players has been excellent. Most short term appointments wouldn't even bother.

I have long since called for a director of football at city but in the absence of a DoF, an experienced guy like MM helps areas of the club that a younger manager can't.

My squash partner, an Irish guy, told me that I was wrong to compare MM to Warnock. Despite MM's rough time at Ipswich, he isn't a Warnock and I think we are already seeing that.

I guess I am a bit more realistic about the way we play. We are never going to start playing like Barcelona overnight, we don't have the personnel and the players we do have who can play have been in a terrible system for years and will take some time to evolve the squad and style.

MM has found a way of getting results, playing to our strengths, slightly evolving the way we play and increasing the emphasis on the young players.

So you're right. You have to give credit where credit is due.

Mick is doing a fantastic job, with the squad he has inherited, if he continues the current success and we finish in the top 8-9 then he will earn the right for a longer contract, under Mick, Moore is scoring for fun, Murphy looks like a footballer and we've become harder to beat, ive enjoyed watching the last five games and although there will be knock backs and disappointing results along the way accept that, as long as you can see the players performing and giving it everything on the pitch.
    It's only right and proper that the board make themselves aware of a potential manager to take us in a different direction, but it's only right and proper that the manager gets full backing if he shows he can do the job required.
    On another point I don't get this, we can't sign Eddie Howe or however, with Tans wealth he could get pretty much who he wants along as he paid them accordingly

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    The thing is mate, if he does continue this form you know he'll get a full time contract. I have no faith that we're working furiously begins the scenes to get a manager lined up.

If he does continue the form I think he deserves a season shot, but it won't be the change of direction that many want.
    A lot can happen between now and the end of the season.

A big test will be when we lose and how we respond.

However, he has done much better than I anticipated and if we mange to finish in and around the play offs he probably deserves another season.

As I mentioned in the thread, his commitment to the young players and academy is something I didn't expect and a real concern I had... I mean if someone is given a short term contract to get results - the academy is probably way down the priority list. It is to his credit he has taken so much interest, that shows a lot of character and if that that carries on I have no issues with him given an extended contract

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I was sceptical of his appointment, disappointed even.

However, he has done much better than I expected. Not just in terms of results but seeing his commitment to the academy and younger players has been excellent. Most short term appointments wouldn't even bother.

I have long since called for a director of football at city but in the absence of a DoF, an experienced guy like MM helps areas of the club that a younger manager can't.

My squash partner, an Irish guy, told me that I was wrong to compare MM to Warnock. Despite MM's rough time at Ipswich, he isn't a Warnock and I think we are already seeing that.

I guess I am a bit more realistic about the way we play. We are never going to start playing like Barcelona overnight, we don't have the personnel and the players we do have who can play have been in a terrible system for years and will take some time to evolve the squad and style.

MM has found a way of getting results, playing to our strengths, slightly evolving the way we play and increasing the emphasis on the young players.

So you're right. You have to give credit where credit is due.
    Sorry for being a bit of a doom merchant, but I think the time to fully judge Mick McCarthy is when things aren’t going so well. For now, he’s got us playing better at either end of the pitch, but I don’t see much of a difference in the middle of the park except that Vaulks is playing better. If results get worse, I can see many of the criticisms aimed at Neil Harris returning, because the style of our play hasn’t really changed, although, to be fair, I don’t think there’s a great deal that NcCarthy could do about that bearing in mind the length of time he’s been given and the lack of means to undertake any meaningful rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Sorry for being a bit of a doom merchant, but I think the time to fully judge Mick McCarthy is when things aren’t going so well. For now, he’s got us playing better at either end of the pitch, but I don’t see much of a difference in the middle of the park except that Vaulks is playing better. If results get worse, I can see many of the criticisms aimed at Neil Harris returning, because the style of our play hasn’t really changed, although, to be fair, I don’t think there’s a great deal that McCarthy could do about that bearing in mind the length of time he’s been given and the lack of means to undertake any meaningful rebuild.
    Agree, a big test will be when we lose.

I don't think that there is much he could have done about the middle of the park given that he had about 4 days of a transfer window. Those problems have been there for some years and will take a couple of transfer windows and lots of time on the training pitch to resolve. In all fairness, even in the 3-1 against Coventry, MM acknowledged that we didn't keep the ball well, so I think he is much more aware of the lack of guile, possession and passing ability in midfield than the two previous managers.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Sorry for being a bit of a doom merchant, but I think the time to fully judge Mick McCarthy is when things aren’t going so well. For now, he’s got us playing better at either end of the pitch, but I don’t see much of a difference in the middle of the park except that Vaulks is playing better. If results get worse, I can see many of the criticisms aimed at Neil Harris returning, because the style of our play hasn’t really changed, although, to be fair, I don’t think there’s a great deal that NcCarthy could do about that bearing in mind the length of time he’s been given and the lack of means to undertake any meaningful rebuild.
    Agreed. It is early days but those eleven points might prove to be crucial and as we all know it could have got worse before it got better.
    In terms of movement and passing we were outplayed by Coventry and we have to deal with that better. One obvious tactic would be to stop giving the ball back to the opposition to play with!

There are tough games ahead and some we will most likely lose.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Agreed. It is early days but those eleven points might prove to be crucial and as we all know it could have got worse before it got better.
    In terms of movement and passing we were outplayed by Coventry and we have to deal with that better. One obvious tactic would be to stop giving the ball back to the opposition to play with!

There are tough games ahead and some we will most likely lose.
    Now this is the bit I disagree with.Yes they had the glut of possession but it was all sideways stuff and was never gonna hurt us.We were a bit leggy throughout and in the last 20 our legs were gone.I don't think they would have scored otherwise.

Tonights game will be decided on how much we have in the tank rather than the quality of the opposition IMHO.

That Bournemouth game is going to be a biggy if we continue to win

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post

I think giving him another year would just delay the inevitable. Ideal world we would go on a run, get promoted and then replace him ala Watford did when they went up.

I think giving him another year would just delay the inevitable. Ideal world we would go on a run, get promoted and then replace him ala Watford did when they went up.
    Watford change manager every couple of weeks don’t they?

Would he be good as a DoF for a younger nanager if we finished top 8 this season?

At least the players look like they are enjoying playing again!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Watford change manager every couple of weeks don’t they?
    Yeah but the point was they replaced there manager after promotion and it seemed to work, they had a decent run in the prem.

I couldn't care if MM and his backroom staff are wheeled out of the local care home every game , if he's winning matches he's doing what he's being paid for

Those goals tonight were belters

He should Deffo be given next season to see what he can do because at the moment , with a squad that isn't his , he's working wonders

K r diff

I think one of the biggies is that we're playing with some intent and having a go, being proactive. We didn't do that against crap teams under Harris.

The games after Preston will tell us how far we've come. Until that point we've beaten midtable sides (Harris did this well) and, form wise at least, some of the worst teams in the division (Harris did not do this).

The only thing getting promoted would achieve is a cash injection. If the past is anything to go by, we'd probably sign three players, get a couple of decent loans in and come straight back down with players we can't afford and the rest of the squad a year older.