+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tories get a leathering

Tories get a leathering

BBC News - Chesham and Amersham: Lib Dems overturn big Tory majority in by-election upset
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...herts-57472032

Labour did well

The Lib Dem winner looks a classy lady , I am going to e mail her

Does make me laugh to see the liberals rejoicing in victory as though its a tidal wave , they will get a kicking at the next election

Re: Tories get a leathering

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    BBC News - Chesham and Amersham: Lib Dems overturn big Tory majority in by-election upset

Labour did well

Does make me laugh to see the liberals rejoicing in victory as though its a tidal wave , they will get a kicking at the next election
    I dislike the Tories (almost) as much as you do but how does coming 4th with 1.6% of the vote constitute Labour doing well?

I understand that Labour effecively stood aside to let the Libs have a clear run.
    I think these sort of informal arrangements may be the only way to unseat this awful Tory Government.

Labour did well

I assume the comment ‘labour did well’ was sarcastic ? They lost their deposit !! Usually unheard of for a main opposition party at mid term in a Government. Shows how useless they are at the moment. Also, as you say, the sight of Ed Davy and his new MP telling the British population and Government how the country should be run is both ridiculous and laughable for an irrelevant party like theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I understand that Labour effecively stood aside to let the Libs have a clear run.
    I think these sort of informal arrangements may be the only way to unseat this awful Tory Government.
    The words ‘clutching at straws’ comes to mind.

Labour got 622 votes, 1.6%, - their worst ever return.
    Not that well really.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    The words ‘clutching at straws’ comes to mind.
    Not really, for the Lib Dems to swing that size a margin round a certain amount of tactical voting is extremely plausible

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Not that well really.
    Labour did well to step aside, as they couldn't have won here.

I know the area quite well through family, it is about as Tory as you could possibly imagine, I really can't see Labour winning here, they've only ever been second here once!.

Even if Labour hadn't stepped aside, the Tory vote collapsed so much that the Liberals probably would have won anyway.

This was a disaster for the Conseratives, they absolutely haemorrhaged votes here they will try to paint it as being worse for Labour, or about "HS2" , but I think that like the recent "red wall" votes the biggest single issue is still Brexit here. This constituency, which has a lot of professionals who commute into London, was quite strongly in favour of remain

Brilliant stuff.

Lets get the bufoon and co out.

I actually think they put up a candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I dislike the Tories (almost) as much as you do but how does coming 4th with 1.6% of the vote constitute Labour doing well?
    I was being sarcastic

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I assume the comment ‘labour did well’ was sarcastic ? They lost their deposit !! Usually unheard of for a main opposition party at mid term in a Government. Shows how useless they are at the moment. Also, as you say, the sight of Ed Davy and his new MP telling the British population and Government how the country should be run is both ridiculous and laughable for an irrelevant party like theirs.
    I was indeed taking the piss

Labour in England are dead

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Not that well really.
    I was taking the piss , I want the labour party to naff off , its finished

I was being sarcastic
    Oh

If they join forces with SNP / Sien Fein and give them them independence vote plus cancel HS2 all done up like a kipper .

Still think Labour and Tory support of HR2 was a huge factor , lets wait for the next one to be sure of the trend as it was a Labour seat in Batley and Spen .

You just feel a lot of elections are now fought on significant local issues ?

Interesting dynamics at play in Batley /Spa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_B...en_by-election

I think Batley and Spen is likely to go to the conservatives

International

I understand that Labour effecively stood aside to let the Libs have a cl may be the only way to unseat this awful Tory Government.
    Do you have anything that leads you to believe they did a deal? If you do I'm sure sludge and others would love your insight. After the result the silence from the Labour party was deafening. If they had done a deal shirley they'd have been telling us.

Either way it's not good. Government, specially one with a big majority, needs a strong focused opposition and at the moment that is non-existent.

International

[QUOTE=life on mars;5199064]If they join forces with SNP / Sien Fein and give them them independence vote plus cancel HS2 all done up like a kipper .

Still think Labour and Tory support of HR2 was a huge factor , lets wait for the next one to be sure of the trend as it was a Labour seat in Batley and Spen .

You just feel a lot of elections are now fought on significant local issues ?

Bi-elections are almost always fought on local issues, that's why they tend to throw up odd results. And the Liberals have always been very good at mustering their abilities to fight bi-elections, as far back as Orpington.
    But I doubt that will be much comfort to the Conservatives.

Ed Davey's reaction to the victory reminded me of David Steel's 'Go back to your constituencies and prepare for Government' speech years ago.

We're still waiting.

I keep waiting for the backlash against the Tories, who are in my opinion, the most corrupt, inadequate and useless bunch of grifters ever to govern.

And yes we keep waiting, and waiting.

Maybe this is a slight blip or the start of the english middle classes finally having enough of tory lies and uselessness.

This has to be a freak result based on local issues. No way is this a Liberal Democrat "revival". As for "Labour standing aside" that is a complete joke invented by one of their spin doctors I suspect. Only 622 votes - come on, pull the other one!! Tories can claim the usual "it's a by-election and the party in power always gets a bloody nose" mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I keep waiting for the backlash against the Tories, who are in my opinion, the most corrupt, inadequate and useless bunch of grifters ever to govern.

And yes we keep waiting, and waiting.

Maybe this is a slight blip or the start of the english middle classes finally having enough of tory lies and uselessness.
    Agree.

Easily the most useless Prime Minister and front bench in memory. Even on this board criticise and theres a significant minority upset and into defence mode.

Labour did well

In 2017, Corbyn received 20.6% of the vote in this constituency, under starmer, 1.6%.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    In 2017, Corbyn received 20.6% of the vote in this constituency, under starmer, 1.6%.
    If you look back through the previous elections though 2017 is very much an anomaly. I would have thought that was likely to have been far more about Brexit than an endorsement of Corbyn's labour.

In every other election there Labour haven't finished higher than third.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/s...882580482?s=20