+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next season's manager....

Next season's manager....

On the realistic assumption we will still be in the Championship do we stick or twist, bearing in mind:
    Parachute money gone
    Limited spectators almost certainly
    No Harry Wilson
    No Ojo or Tutu
    Relying on our academy

Do we stick with a safe pair of hands or do we risk a younger manager to change our style to more acceptable to the football purist?

Re: Next season's manager....

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    On the realistic assumption we will still be in the Championship do we stick or twist, bearing in mind:
    Parachute money gone
    No Harry Wilson
    No Ojo or Tutu
    Relying on our academy

Do we stick with a safe pair of hands or do we risk a younger manager to change our style to more acceptable to the football purist?
    If we finish in the top 10 under MM, then he deserves to be kept on, in the same way Harris deserved to be given the time he had at the start of this campaign.

I think a younger manager, new ideas, maybe along the lines of Cooper at the jacks who has contacts at youth levels.

I thought MM was a good appointment until the end of the season but that should be it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Parachute money gone
    No Harry Wilson
    No Ojo or Tutu
    Relying on our academy

It depends how 'radical' MM is prepared to be. I've mentioned it before but we have 3 centre backs who put their bodies on the line [literally some times] to defend, yet cannot find the simplest of passes out of defence. That's where I'd start..

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    If we finish in the top 10 under MM, then he deserves to be kept on, in the same way Harris deserved to be given the time he had at the start of this campaign.
    Not sure I agree. I know what you mean, but I don't really care what MM deserves or not. If the club wants to build for the future and they don't see MM as the manager to take us there, then there is no point in keeping him once he's achieved his purpose i.e. keep us up and avoid defeat at Swansea. It might be unfair to him, but it is the wrong thing to do to keep someone on if they are not the right person for the job, even if that person has performed well.

Of course if we don't have any desire to change our long term strategy (or, more realistically, to adopt one) then yeah - if someone did OK, keep him in.

This isn't meant to sound cut-throat or cruel, it is more that I disagree with the concept of sticking with someone to do a job just because he was good at a different job.

I cannot seriously imagine our management counternancing Div 1. For that reason I am 99% certain we will stick with 'safe pair of hands' MM, providing we have a decent finish this season.
    Any way, 'the Cardiff Way' was is it? I saw it last night, big strong players giving 100% with a touch of class thrown in it when it matters. May not be pretty but we are bloody awful side to play against. Rather that than the so called pretty football that foreign managers bring, that often ends in disaster.
    When we get back to the Prem, that will be the time to look for the new Guardiola or Klopp.

Depends what MM wants to do going forward. Huddersfield are struggling because their young manager's exciting tactics have been found out and their young, small squad don't have enough to combat that. This example would suggest MM, senior pros and bringing through our exciting youth prospects would be a better outcome, but think we also have to ask what players he's going to want to re-sign or extend as part of replacing the number of players soon to be leaving the club. We lose a lot of flair this summer and Warnock's (expensive) leaders more prone to playing risk-free football will want a conversation about extensions - MM's decision here could keep us away from a more progressive style and limit our chances of staying up following any potential promotion if he gets it wrong.

I don't think this season's finishing position should determine who the manager next year is, although it will factor into the decision making process.

MM will get us to the play-offs or 7th - we'll give him a new contract - by December we will be in the lower reaches of the table and will sack him - new manager will take us to the dizzy heights of play-offs or 7th.

Repeat, and the repeat again.

MM as he is as good or better than quite a few old staggers

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    MM will get us to the play-offs or 7th - we'll give him a new contract - by December we will be in the lower reaches of the table and will sack him - new manager will take us to the dizzy heights of play-offs or 7th.

Repeat, and the repeat again.
    We do seem to have developed a pattern.. Regardless of how well or poorly we do at the end of this season, rather than continue the loop with MM, I really hope we get a young guy/gal with a plan and direction - it would be nice to see some modern tactics and technical ability on show at the CCS. The football for me has been attritional at best since the days of Davey Jones. Do you know what - Unpopular opinion but I reckon if we had stood by Ole for a bit longer we could have had the right man..

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    We do seem to have developed a pattern.. Regardless of how well or poorly we do at the end of this season, rather than continue the loop with MM, I really hope we get a young guy/gal with a plan and direction - it would be nice to see some modern tactics and technical ability on show at the CCS. The football for me has been attritional at best since the days of Davey Jones. Do you know what - Unpopular opinion but I reckon if we had stood by Ole for a bit longer we could have had the right man..
    Quite interesting until you got to the gal bit. Who were you alluding to ? Maybe Collette Warnock or Michelle McCarthy. Maybe Joanie Mourinho if she gets the chop by Spurs or even Brenda at Leicester. Mmm maybe you've hit upon something here.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    MM as he is as good or better than quite a few old staggers
    All depends on how much he’d had to drink I s’pose.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It depends how 'radical' MM is prepared to be. I've mentioned it before but we have 3 centre backs who put their bodies on the line [literally some times] to defend, yet cannot find the simplest of passes out of defence. That's where I'd start..
    That was quite a good ball out of defence for our first goal last night.

I've been quite astonished at the progress made under McCarthy. In just six games, he's changed our formation, style of play, and fortunes - all for the better. He's done this without recruiting, with players that were not his purchases, and is also actively looking to use youth players developed at Cardiff. Unless he messes up completely between now and May, he gets my vote to stay on.

I’d give him a 12 month contract with the promise of Director of Football role after it,he could help the new younger manager into the role.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Wasn't it Ng, who played that pass, to an offside Flint ?

Although it's posed as a question, it was Ng.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Quite interesting until you got to the gal bit. Who were you alluding to ? Maybe Collette Warnock or Michelle McCarthy. Maybe Joanie Mourinho if she gets the chop by Spurs or even Brenda at Leicester. Mmm maybe you've hit upon something here.
    OK Boomer! - I'm just trying to be inclusive mate, it's 2021. There are numerous female candidates out there, more than qualified to take our helm; Cherie Lunghi, Low Siew Beng, Delia Smith, Phil Neville.. I could go on..

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Wasn't it Ng, who played that pass, to an offside Flint ?

Although it's posed as a question, it was Ng.
    Although it's posed as a question, it was an onside Flint.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I've been quite astonished at the progress made under McCarthy. In just six games, he's changed our formation, style of play, and fortunes - all for the better. He's done this without recruiting, with players that were not his purchases, and is also actively looking to use youth players developed at Cardiff. Unless he messes up completely between now and May, he gets my vote to stay on.
    Agreed, although a lot can happen between now and the end of the season.

One thing he did say which may be an indicator of how he'd like to see the team play if he does get his contract extended was that he was not at all happy with our ball retention at times.

We may lack creativity and movement but not giving the ball away to the opposition as cheaply as we have been doing will be a massive step in the right direction.

OK Boomer! - I'm just trying to be inclusive mate, it's 2021. There are numerous female candidates out there, more than qualified to take our helm; Cherie Lunghi, Low Siew Beng, Delia Smith, Phil Neville.. I could go on..
    Surprised you didn't suggest Helen White to partner Keiffer up front !

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Surprised you didn't suggest Helen White to partner Keiffer up front !
    I think you mean Ellen White - and yeah she is a ****ing goal machine. I reckon given 15 minutes the other night she would have shown a bit more than Watters did...

It certainly didn't come from any of the 3 centre backs.

I think you mean Ellen White - and yeah she is a ****ing goal machine. I reckon given 15 minutes the other night she would have shown a bit more than Watters did...
    Strange as it may seem she looks like a female version of Harry Kane (sorry Ellen) !

I didn't see the cameo performance from Watters but a few on here have been less than complimentary towards him. Having said that, Ojo's debut was quite awful according to those that saw it but he's turned out to be a very decent footballer. Maybe it was first night nerves for Watters and he'll come good later.

I missed HW actually putting the ball in the net as I was typing on here, fuming about the ref not giving the foul on Kieffer Moore just before.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It certainly didn't come from any of the 3 centre backs.
    Still a good ball from the centre of our defence though.