+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Which of three Central Defenders is currently the best.

Which of three Central Defenders is currently the best.

Each has been reasonably criticised in the past for being slow, for poor distribution, for being slow to move forward and we were leaking goals.
    All three are now playing well as a unit. Undoubtedly they prefer dealing with high balls rather than players running at them.
    The much maligned Flint is doing better than most of us might have expected. Nelson has improved under MM.Morrison is doing his usual good job as a stopper but as the one most likely to move forward his distribution isn’t good.

What are your thoughts?

Re: Which of three Central Defenders is currently the best.

Morrison, by some distance.

Hence why he's covering the wing as he's the only one good enough to take a hit on his bread and butter and still do well

Think Nelson is defending the best at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I was going to say the same, has come up with some crucial blocks in the last few games

On Tuesday's showing:
    Flint
    Nelson
    Morrison

I think Flint and Nelson's jobs have become easier and Morrison's job has become harder since going to three at the back. I'd give Flint and Nelson higher scores out of 10 for each game but Morrison can do the job they're being asked to do whereas they cannot, imo, do what Morrison is being tasked with.

There is only one of them that would get into any other Championship side or be wanted by any of them and thats Morrison.

They’re all decent ‘defenders’ in the traditional sense. Morrison is the only one that can play a bit though.

Nelson ,then Flint not far behind at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    There is only one of them that would get into any other Championship side or be wanted by any of them and thats Morrison.
    Do agree doesn't look so good in back three.

Big influence on our side over the years ,wasn't sure when he arrived, now one of my all time favourite centre backs , the lad has been there so many times for us in both defending and scoring.

City legend .

I think if Mozza was in the middle he would be the best, but he is doing a job that allows Flint to start. Nelson has been performing the best.

Harsh!!

I’d like to see Bennet given a go in a back three to see how he goes,he done ok when he played ther in a back four.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I'm not his biggest fan but to say he wouldn't be wanted by or get in other championship teams is demonstrably not true.

Flint was wanted by, and played for, Wednesday.

Additionally, he has played Over 10 seasons of championship football.

I think there would be some takers for Nelson. He's been good since MM arrived.

Morrison is out best central defender though.

Would love to see brown on the left and nelson on the right. More balanced and more ice in wider areas.

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    I’d like to see Bennet given a go in a back three to see how he goes,he done ok when he played ther in a back four.
    that might be a good call.
    it's useful to have a left footer in there, and someone comfortable bringing the ball out with a decent passing range.

those are all qualities that Jack Simpson would have brought to us had he decided to have come here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that might be a good call.
    it's useful to have a left footer in there, and someone comfortable bringing the ball out with a decent passing range.

those are all qualities that Jack Simpson would have brought to us had he decided to have come here.
    Don't you think we'd miss Bennetts attacking support play from wing back , that aspect has added to our current line up in a very positive way?

Brown is left footed I believe.
    I'm sure I read Ng has played on the right of a 3 as well.

For me Morrison is our best defender.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Nelson and Flint are benefitting from the system and I'm not entirely sure Morrison is but he's not playing poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

Nelson and Flint are benefitting from the system and I'm not entirely sure Morrison is but he's not playing poorly.
    Agree that Morrison is much better in the centre, like Flint he Struggles against pace especially if he has to turn but so far it seems to be working. Bournemouth and Middlesbrough away will test our back three!

None of them are what you'd call outstanding, but they do seem to play well together, and are getting good at covering each other's mistakes. Nelson has a bit of pace, Flint is great in the air, Morrison can play a bit. We have a ready made replacement in Ciaron Brown, so I can't see Bennett getting any sort of a run at centre-back.

What I found most encouraging about the new system was MM saying the players (especially the 3 CBs but also the wing backs and goalkeeper) were working things out between themselves - on and off the training ground and pitch. MM and TC are coaching, but they trust the players to use their experience and intelligence to sort themselves out too, and get over the initial problems. That seems to have happened. Morrison still looks the least comfortable with his role (he's got more to think about and do than Flint and Nelson) but they are all much better than 5 games ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

it's only been a couple of games, they're probably all still getting used to it

We're surely going to see Brown get a run of games in the side before his contract finished at end of the season (is transfermarkt right with that one?) to help decide whether he can cut it in the league or not.