+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Friday Night Drinking...

Friday Night Drinking...

Re: Friday Night Drinking...

Good stuff. I wonder if someone could recreate the ambience, noises and calls of the locals of the Retreat Pub, Llanedeyrn. Any ideas welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Good stuff. I wonder if someone could recreate the ambience, noises and calls of the locals of the Retreat Pub, Llanedeyrn. Any ideas welcome.
    I'm sure I can hear someone shaking his nuts.

I remember it well.

The toilets were always extremely busy . There must have been an incontinence issue .

As the evening wore on I noticed some of the locals had a white kinda dust on their faces .

Not sure if they were renovating the cubicles and it was a builders dust?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I remember it well.

The toilets were always extremely busy . There must have been an incontinence issue .

As the evening wore on I noticed some of the locals had a white kinda dust on their faces .

Not sure if they were renovating the cubicles and it was a builders dust?
    Idiots up there were probably sniffing asbestos, not that it would have done that much damage to them. The Penn, onthe other side was lively, the locals took the landlord hostage, but gave up after they'd drunk all the booze

Thirty odd years ago, the band I played the drums for had a gig at the Retreat. We didn't play there again.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I'm sure I can hear someone shaking his nuts.
    There was a bloke named Keith who would play the spoons at the Murrayfield pub in Pentwyn. His finale involved taking his teeth out and wording 'It's a cracker' like that Frank Carson bloke. Bizzare.

There was a bloke named Keith who would play the spoons at the Murrayfield pub in Pentwyn. His finale involved taking his teeth out and wording 'It's a cracker' like that Frank Carson bloke. Bizzare.
    That made me chuckle, old fruit!

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Thirty odd years ago, the band I played the drums for had a gig at the Retreat. We didn't play there again.
    I'm not surprised, that was the height of it's lunacy. One of the locals robbed Benetton (the shop in town) at the time, bright coloured puffa jackets were in, and 60 were pinched, all the locals had them on, lime, bright pink, Yellow etc even the local plod thought it was funny

Used to go to the Retreat on Sundays, when David Bishop's father ran it.

The boys from Splott, the Grosvenor, used to rob the locals blind, playing 9 card don.

Not a fun place though.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Used to go to the Retreat on Sundays, when David Bishop's father ran it.

The boys from Splott, the Grosvenor, used to rob the locals blind, playing 9 card don.

Not a fun place though.
    That's going back a bit. David, the son had some battles with the locals up there, think he's got a taxi business run out of Llanedeyrn, St Davids Cabs? Barry Nelmes the ex england rugby international took over from Bishop, he was on his toes with the locals. The only one who seemed to be able to handle them was Carl Stephens, the ex boxer.

Back on topic
    I've just had a bottle of my homebrewed clone of Chimay Red, a very nice Belgian Dubbel

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Back on topic
    I've just had a bottle of my homebrewed clone of Chimay Red, a very nice Belgian Dubbel
    I'm not crazy about Chimay. I prefer Westmalle, St Bernardus and Leffe Bruin.

Proper Job.

Ice cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Proper Job.

Ice cold.
    Proper Job is a great beer, as is my homebrewed copy of it, but ice cold will kill the hop flavour, 8 to 10 centigrade will be right

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I'm not crazy about Chimay. I prefer Westmalle, St Bernardus and Leffe Bruin.
    Westmalle is on my list of beers to have a go at one day. It's a very long list though, and it keeps changing, there are so many good beers in the world.

International

I don't usually frink at home nut this last lockdown has finally got to mt.
    I'm here with a can of McEwans export. Haven't drunk it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post

Thats the place.

Absolute vodka and diet coke .

If Carlsberg made vodka....

Smooth , refined , perfect ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Absolute vodka and diet coke .

If Carlsberg made vodka....

Smooth , refined , perfect ...
    Flavoured or normal? My housemate got bought a bottle of Absolute Vanilla for her birthday, it was surprisingly nice

Westmalle is on my list of beers to have a go at one day. It's a very long list though, and it keeps changing, there are so many good beers in the world.
    Try St Bernardus. Not easy to get hold of though. I've never seen it in a supermarket.

Proper Job is a great beer, as is my homebrewed copy of it, but ice cold will kill the hop flavour, 8 to 10 centigrade will be right
    Moggis is to connoisseurship what Trump is to national unity....

I feel a ban coming on

You are right it does reduce the strength of the taste. Cans were warm though and needed quick chilling. Have put a couple in the fridge this morning so should be just right to celebrate City's win this afternoon.