3, 4, 7, 8, 11 and 14 to get

Re: A Few Football Quiz Questions

4 John Brayford

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    4 John Brayford
    Correct

3. Cardiff City was his 15th club, he played 51 times for us after joining in 2000 and the highlight of his career was probably andFA Cup Semi Final appearance in 1992 – who is he ?

Mark Walton?

This one was bugging me for ages... so I guess that means it’s a good question :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    3. Cardiff City was his 15th club, he played 51 times for us after joining in 2000 and the highlight of his career was probably andFA Cup Semi Final appearance in 1992 – who is he ?

Mark Walton?

This one was bugging me for ages... so I guess that means it’s a good question :)
    Correct answer

11. He made 67 league appearances for us in 1988 and 89 and shares a surname with an England Test Cricketer who also played for Bradford Park Avenue – who is he ?

George Wood

[QUOTE=The Bloop;5169940]11. He made 67 league appearances for us in 1988 and 89 and shares a surname with an England Test Cricketer who also played for Bradford Park Avenue – who is he ?

George Wood[/QUOTE

Correct

Is 8 Nobottle?

Is 8 Nobottle?
    It certainly is - well done

And the other stand out performer from that night for 7?

And the other stand out performer from that night for 7?
    Absolutely

Just no 14 to get

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Just no 14 to get
    A little digging tells me that's Nicky Platnauer.
    The Knitters are Hinckley United and, being from the area, he helped them out during their first season after being reformed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    A little digging tells me that's Nicky Platnauer.
    The Knitters are Hinckley United and, being from the area, he helped them out during their first season after being reformed.
    Is the final correct answer - well done

Great questions, thanks for that.

Well done to everyone who had a go. Here is a summary of the answers

1. Which City manager has the first names Robin Michael ?

Robin Michael Lawrence otherwise known as “Lennie”. He will always be remembered for managing us to promotion via the play off final against QPR. Arguably his greatest managerial achievement was, with the help of Eddie May, keeping a Charlton Athletic, that had left The Valley and was teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, in the 2nd Division and then getting them promoted to the old 1st Division and keeping them there for 4 seasons with little money to spend. In May 2005, in the midst of, seemingly, one of our many Inland Revenue financial crises, he was relieved of his managerial duties and replaced by Dave Jones.

2. This former City player has won 25 caps for the Wunderteam – who is he ?

Guido Burgstaller was one of a mystifying collection of OGS non-British signings. He arrived in May 2014, played only a handful of games and was gone “by mutual consent” 8 months later, presumably, with the balance of his 3 year contract in his back pocket. He appears not to have let his wilderness period in Cardiff put him off with decent scoring records at his subsequent clubs FC Nürnberg and Schalke 04 and also continuing to be capped by Austria aka “Wunderteam”

3. Cardiff City was his 15th club, he played 51 times for us after joining in 2000 and the highlight of his career was probably an FA Cup Semi Final appearance in 1992 – who is he ?

Mark Walton joined us on a free transfer and played most of his games for us in his first season 2000/01 when he shared the keeping duties with Carl Muggleton. However, the arrival of Neil Alexander in May 2001 meant that his days as No 1 were over. He played for Norwich City in an FA Cup semi final defeat to Sunderland in 1992. Of course, you might argue that his victorious appearance against the JBs in the FAW Premier Cup Final in May 2002 was of greater consequence. I wonder which one of the two he will tell his grandchildren about ?

4. He played 26 times for us until 2015 and has played under Nigel Clough 4 times at other clubs – who is he ?

John Brayford. Signed by Malky in July 2013 as part of the recruitment drive prior to our 1st Premier League season he was off on loan to Sheffield United 6 months later after only a couple of League Cup games and playing for them in an FA Cup semi final. The following season with the City back in the Championship and Brayford sporting a beard, OGS made him first choice right back playing 28 times in the 2014/15 season. In January 2015 he was sold to Sheffield United and, unusually for us, we got our money back on the transfer fee. Nigel Clough signed for Derby County, Sheffield and United and twice for Burton Albion which is where he is now.

5. This former City manager guided his team to 3rd place in the Pan Arab Games in 1997 – who is he ?

After having been appointed General Manager, Terry Yorath took over as Manager from Eddie May in December 1994 with the City 2 places off the bottom of Endsleigh Insurance League Division 2. By the end of what was a miserable season we were still 2 places off the bottom and relegated. He resigned in March 1995 before the inevitable. In April, Lebanon, evidently not having sought references from CCFC, appointed him a Coach to their National team. Just as well they didn’t as he raised them 60 places in the FIFA World Rankings and got them to 3rd place in the 1997 Pan Arab Games where he missed out on a final place losing 3-2 to Hafez Al-Assad’s Syria. However, Lebanon won the Bronze Medal match beating Kuwait B 3-1. Just as well they weren’t playing Kuwait A.

6. He made his 1st City appearance in a 4-1 win at Notts County and his final appearance in a 4-1 defeat at Darlington 67 days later. He had a brief spell as a Premier League manager and is now in the coaching set up of a national team – who is he ?

John Carver. After a successful trial he was a pre-season signing in 1985 from Newcastle where he had not made his debut. Sadly for him, after 13 League and 2 Cup games for us a serious thigh injury ended his professional career at the age of 20. He played part time for Gateshead for a couple of seasons before giving up to concentrate on coaching. He was Caretaker Manager of Newcastle twice following Bobby Robson and Alan Pardew. He is currently part of the Scotland Coaching team.

7. Which Cardiff City player shares a name with a village and a battle in The Shire that features in the penultimate chapter of Lord of the Rings ?

I first read Lord of the Rings in the late 60s when it was inextricably linked to Hippy Culture, no films had been made of it and “Fantasy” literature as a genre had not really been created. I thought it was a really good yarn and read it a couple of times leaving quite an impression on me. Bywater being the village in the shire and the Battle Of Bywater featuring in the penultimate chapter of LOR. We signed Stephen Bywater on loan for the second time, this time from Derby County in 2011 as a replacement for Messrs Marshall and Heaton who were both injured and I remember thinking at the time “I know that name” – Bywater cropping up in The Hobbit and the LOR trilogy. Bywater’s performance in the play off second leg in 2011 was more Gollum than Frodo - he wasn’t the only one.

8. If you’ve been bothered to research a map of The Shire to answer question 7 the follow up is – which village in The Shire has a name that appropriately describes Jay Bothroyd in his final appearance for the City in the 3-0 Play Off defeat at home to Reading in 2011 ?

In checking the map of The Shire I noticed there is a village called Nobottle which exactly describes Jay Bothroyd when he disgracefully pulled out of a 50-50 challenge for a loose ball with Reading ‘keeper Adam Federici. A critical game, we were losing, is 100% commitment too much to expect ? In Bothroyd’s case evidently yes. Extravagantly talented is a phrase I’ve seen used about Bothroyd and you can’t argue with it. Had he been as temperamentally suited to football as his natural gifts he wouldn’t have been plying his trade with us in the 2nd tier of football. Nevertheless, that disastrous game was his final game for us and that one incident sticks in my mind just as much as all the amazing bits of skill he displayed In his time with us. Jay Bothroyd – Nobottle.

9. In 1969 we signed a player from a team that contains the name of a famous outlaw – who is the player and what is the team ?

Rob Roy is the famous outlaw, Kirkintilloch Rob Roy is the team and Jim Eadie is the player. When we signed him in 1969 Fred Davies was the incumbent goalkeeper. Jim only played 2 games in 69/70 and must have been viewed as back up as, after Fred Davies left for Bournemouth, we signed Fumbling Frank Parsons from Palace. Fumbling Frank played the first 10 league games of 70/71 the 10th being the 4-3 home defeat by Middlesbrough where Peter King’s amazing goal and an excellent shot from Bobby Woodruff were overshadowed by Frank’s antics at the other end. Jim Eadie played the remaining games of the season instead of FFP. The following season we signed Bill Irwin who established himself as no. 1 straight away. I rated Jim more than FFP but we hung on to the latter letting Jim join Bristol Rovers where he established himself as a fans favourite earning the nickname “The Flying Pig”

10. Which Cardiff City player scored 3 goals in 7 international appearances for Benin ?

Fred Gounongbe. Poor Fred sticks in the mind for 2 reasons – if remember correctly, missing a sitter from about 2 feet at St Andrews and terrible luck with injuries which eventually lead to his retirement from football altogether. His international record is marginally better than our other Benin international Rudy Gestede.

11. He made 67 league appearances for us in 1988 and 89 and shares a surname with an England Test Cricketer who also played for Bradford Park Avenue – who is he ?

Footballing Cricketers nowadays are an extinct breed. I remember the days when the likes of Len Hill, Chris Balderstone, Jim Standen and Graham Cross discarded their football boots and donned their whites for a summer of first class cricket. Barry Wood was part of the great Lancashire team of the 70s and was capped in Tests and ODI. He played for Bradford PA and also Stalybridge Celtic. George Wood signed for us in January 1988 at the tender age of 35 and seemed to hang about South Wales for quite a few years after leaving us in 1990.

12. Which former Cardiff City player has won 9 International Caps for Бели Орлови ?

Бели Орлови is the Serbian for White Eagles. The only Serbian International that I can think of who has played for us is Marko Grujic who we had on loan from Liverpool who, surprisingly, is still only 24.

13. He made 3 appearances for the City in 2012/13 having made a number of appearances for Switzerland at various levels up to U21 – who is he ?

Not born in Switzerland who he has represented in the past, not born in Turkey for whom he has won full international caps but born in Austria, Kerim Frei appeared 3 times ( twice as a sub) in 2012 his only full appearance being the Keystone Cops 5-4 defeat at the Valley. We sent him back to his parent club Fulham which he then left to join Besiktas. I was quite surprised when I noticed that he had joined Birmingham in 2017 but he only lasted 13 games and went back to Istanbul. He now plays for Emmen who turn out to be in the Dutch Eredivisie – I had to look them up. When he signed I looked him up on a Fulham message board, the comments there were not encouraging including not tracking back. So, Arbeit Macht Frei did not apply in his case.

14. He played 110 league games for the City in the 1980s, in his career he was signed by Bobby Gould, Frank Burrows and Colin and he finished his playing career with The Knitters in 1998. He later managed The Bones, The Poppies and The Eagles - who is he ?

Nicky Platnauer. Not one of my favourite players but he played his part in getting us promoted from the 4th Division in 87/88. He played 147 times in total for us which is far and away the most number of games he played for any of his 12 clubs although he is more likely to regale his family with tales of playing in the old First Division with Birmingham City rather than winning the Welsh Cup with us. He finished playing at the age of 37 with Hinckley Utd. (The Knitters) and then went on to manage Rothwell Town (The Bones), Kettering Town (The Poppies) and Bedford Town (The Eagles)

15. Born in Bulawayo, he played 43 times for the City starting in 2003 and shares a name with a College of Cambridge University – who is he ?

John Robinson. The place is not exactly filthy with Rhodesian born Welsh football internationals but John is one of them. He was certainly a committed player but after leaving Charlton at the age of 32 after 11 years and over 300 games, his best years were behind him. He did his bit in his only full season with us to establish us in the second tier after the QPR play off win. He was still a first choice in his second season with us but left the club for family reasons. Robinson College Cambridge have never won University Challenge so I don’t expect any of their undergraduates to fare well in this quiz even though they may be glued to this message board.

16. Who is the last Cardiff City manager to have previously managed Swansea City ?

2000/01 was quite a frenetic season in many ways. There was some off the field musical chairs involving the ever unpopular Bobby Gould and the unfortunate Billy Ayre which resulted in the appointment of Alan Cork. I suspect it was the appearance of Wimbledon FC on his CV rather than Swansea City that was the determining factor in his appointment given the origins of our new owner at the time. During the 2001/02 season Lennie Lawrence was brought in as a DOF ( consultant if you believe Wiki). Never a good sign for incumbent managers and, sure enough, after a dire 4-0 defeat at Wigan, the inevitable happened. Positives for his managerial spell were that Earnie blossomed with 25 goals in Cork’s first season and, of course, he was in the dugout for our famous FA Cup victory over Leeds.

17. This international scored n debut for the City in 2007 and shares a name with the Judge in the Lady Chatterley’s Lover Obscenity Trial – who is he ?

Sir Lawrence Byrne made his mark in legal circles by being part of the team that prosecuted William Joyce (Lord Haw Haw) leading to his execution for Treason at Wandsworth Prison in 1946. 14 years later he was the Presiding Judge in R v Penguin Books – the prosecution of Aston Villa’s Lew Chatterley under the Obscene Publications Act. Little did Sir Lawrence Byrne know that his namesake, Jason, would go on to score on debut against Wolves providing Cardiff City fans with yet another false dawn.

18. This City player started his career with The Jam Makers in 1988, the City was his 13th club and his 23rd and final club was The Wellie in 2013 – who is he ?

That well known option in message board polls ,Leo Fortune West, started his career in 1988 with Tiptree United ( The Jam Makers). He certainly got about a bit and he finished at the age of 42 at Armthorpe Welfare (The Wellie). A no nonsense player, whilst on loan at Shrewsbury Town he was nicknamed “Ronseal” as LFW “does exactly what it says on the tin”

19. Another undistinguished signing during the reign of OGS – this player shares a name with a former UN Secretary General – who is he ?

Succeeding well known Nazi Kurt Waldheim as UN Secretary General, Javier Pérez de Cuéllar got the job just In time to watch from the terraces whilst the UK recaptured the Falkland Islands. Javier”Javi” Rodriguez Guerra signed a 3 year contract with us at the age of 32 and made his debut as a sub in August 2014. Two more sub appearances was the extent of his City career. 5 months later he was loaned to Malaga for the remainder of the season and, after the departure of OGS, his was one of the contracts that Russell Slade had to sort.

20. The surnames of a City keeper of the 70s and a City striker of the noughties make up the name of a station on the District Line – what is the station ?

Parsons Green (Zone 2 for all you with an Oyster Card). I banged on about Fumbling Frank Parsons in the answer to question 9 so I won’t go back to that. Matt Green signed for us from Newport County in 2007 but didn’t last long.