+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Players with contracts ending soon...

Players with contracts ending soon...

They'll either not be offered a new deal or offered one with a substantially reduced salary. The club's aim is to now buy in young potential on low wages and offload the higher earning 30yr old plus players. I wouldn't be surprised to see even Morrison departing in the summer as the reality of trading within a covid-damaged stark economy becomes apparent. Both he and Smithies would achieve a decent fee and could be replaced with younger and cheaper versions. I'm sure Ng is on significantly less wages than Peltier was and who'd swap them now if given a chance? Bennet will certainly be out of the door, Bagan is lined up to take his pace with a cheap, young, back-up in the wings. Ralls is another who may achieve a fee and be replaced with a cheaper, younger and more mobile replacement. There will be a lot of decent young players available as the other teams struggle financially, and Cardiff City may well appear to be an attractive destination for some of them

Re: Players with contracts ending soon...

Its going to be an interesting summer.

I think its likely wed accept decent offers for any of our players. Moore being the obvious one.

The older players out of contract like Bennett could well accept lower paid contracts. I can see Junior moving abroad. Glatzel we may be able to loan out for the last year of his contract.

It's not just going to be us having this issue.

There'll be every club up to about the top half of the Prem desperate to get rid of the deadwood, right down to the bottom tier trying to cash in on what valuables they have.

Even when fans return, I do think it may be a bit of a shift for british football

Why would you sell Morrison when he's i) the captain, ii) a good defender at this level, iii) has been trusted to play ball out from the back which shows some development in our style of play? He's unlikely to be picked up by a premier league team, maybe one looking to bounce back after relegation, and if we can't afford his wages no one else in the division will be able to.

Surely no one thinks we're going to sell all our senior players and only bring in younger, developmental projects? It is going to be a very interesting summer though, and I can see Ralls being dangled to see if there are any good offers.

Everyone keeps bringing up the end of the parachute payments, but surely we've operated without them before? And got promoted? The fans will be back in the ground for next season (though possibly in lower numbers), so it will be a case of starting over again. To get people in, we have to win games, and that means holding on to our better players. That said, Morrison may well go if we're offered good money for him, while Ralls isn't really needed any more.

I think it all depends on where we end up at the end of the season. If , as it seems likely, we'll be in the Championship next season i can see massive changes. Hoilett, Bamba and Bennet are out of contract and I expect they could leave or maybe Bennett could be offered a new deal on reduced wages. I reckon Holiett will go and Bamba will retire. I expect Glatzel to be either sold or loaned out again. That leaves other high earners that may be shed from the wage bill. I expect MarK Harris to be released too as he seems to have been left out since McCarthy arrived. Other younger players seem to have overtaken him in the pecking order.

Obviously we do not know which players are on what salaries but I expect Bennett, Hoilett, Morrison, Flint, Pack, Bacuna, Smithies to be on big money with the rest on less. Although Warnock signed Vaulks he may well be on a big wage too. And if Kiefer Moore keeps scoring he may well be sold for a big profit too.

It will depend on whether Mr Tan wants keep funding their wages, and whether we have crowds back too, but i accept that all clubs are in the same financial position now too.

Ciaron Brown and a load of youngsters are out of contract too.

Smithies can go as we have Phillips. I reckon one of Flint or Morrison will leave, maybe Pack or Ralls and Moore. That means we will be seriously reducing the wage bill with the consequential result being younger , cheaper players at the club.

Let's hope we make the Play Offs.

Spot on 👍