+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone on here built their own garage?

Anyone on here built their own garage?

Looking at building a garage, and the quotes I'm getting are well off. I've watched a few DIY videos on You Tube, but don't think I'm up to that sort of work. Has anyone on here done something similar?

Re: Anyone on here built their own garage?

How much are the quotes?

From £12500 t0 £27,000!

£12k probably not far off what it cost you in all honesty.

Caveat that - £12k a fair quote for someone to do it

To the roof will be easy enough but wouldn’t attempt that myself

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Looking at building a garage, and the quotes I'm getting are well off. I've watched a few DIY videos on You Tube, but don't think I'm up to that sort of work. Has anyone on here done something similar?
    12k is decent, it'll put that on the value of your house the day the builders finish, although it depends on the build quality, materials used etc. I think that a garage needs to be double skin block work these days, is it a pitched roof etc, even the quality of the garage door, some of the standard doors are shit, the springs go quite early. If it's joining your existing property then fire regs will come in to play. Find out what you're getting for your money and make sure it's up to regs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    12k is decent, it'll put that on the value of your house the day the builders finish, although it depends on the build quality, materials used etc. I think that a garage needs to be double skin block work these days, is it a pitched roof etc, even the quality of the garage door, some of the standard doors are shit, the springs go quite early. If it's joining your existing property then fire regs will come in to play. Find out what you're getting for your money and make sure it's up to regs.
    Not sure agree with double skin if it’s just used for storage. Water will come in but depends how much of an area you got. It’s going to eat into more space and cost more

From £12500 t0 £27,000!
    Just get a brickie, then a chippy.....shouldn’t cost more than 15 really

What kind of garage? Attached to your house? Or a stand-alone structure?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Not sure agree with double skin if it’s just used for storage. Water will come in but depends how much of an area you got. It’s going to eat into more space and cost more
    Maybe, although i'm betting that it has to be a solid 9 inch wall.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Just get a brickie, then a chippy.....shouldn’t cost more than 15 really
    And a sparky. Cable guy. New TV. Beer Fridge. It all adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    And a sparky. Cable guy. New TV. Beer Fridge. It all adds up.
    Dartboard.

Don’t forget the “build me up buttercup”

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Massive mistake building it in single skin, false economy. Good quality build, cavity wall, insulation, appropriate dpc to walls, membrane underneath floor, decent roof construction and waterproofing....do it properly if you can afford it. Single skin is more of a massive no no if it’s used for storage, your lovely garden furniture stored away leaning on a single skin for the winter will see you dropping it over Lamby Way tip come the Spring and you forking out for new stuff to replace it. Cavity wall, insulation, decent roof, adequate ventilation makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Massive mistake building it in single skin, false economy. Good quality build, cavity wall, insulation, appropriate dpc to walls, membrane underneath floor, decent roof construction and waterproofing....do it properly if you can afford it. Single skin is more of a massive no no if it’s used for storage, your lovely garden furniture stored away leaning on a single skin for the winter will see you dropping it over Lamby Way tip come the Spring and you forking out for new stuff to replace it. Cavity wall, insulation, decent roof, adequate ventilation makes sense.
    Especially if it's joined to the house and someone wants to do a conversion.

From timber, yes. Two. Key thing is a brick wall at least 3 courses high and build off that; and ventilation between the breather membrane and the cladding. What's the footprint?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    From timber, yes. Two. Key thing is a brick wall at least 3 courses high and build off that; and ventilation between the breather membrane and the cladding. What's the footprint?
    I'm not sure that you can call it a garage if it's timber frame, although i may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    That’s a f*cking shed

Have you considered a container .
    I just bought one to put my old mini in .
    It is in my yard rather than my garden though

If you are local get Steve to build you one (Splott Parker)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Have you considered a container .
    I just bought one to put my old mini in .
    It is in my yard rather than my garden though

If you are local get Steve to build you one (Splott Parker)
    What Mini have you got, Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    What Mini have you got, Jim?
    1380 mini cooper with 1.5 twin su , high lift cams , engine lightened and balanced . Straight cut gearbox. Its the bollox.

Have you still got yours Gavin?

Whenever I am up the valleys and see a skip driver driving like a crazy, I always look to see if its you

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    1380 mini cooper with 1.5 twin su , high lift cams , engine lightened and balanced . Straight cut gearbox. Its the bollox.

Have you still got yours Gavin?

Whenever I am up the valleys and see a skip driver driving like a crazy, I always look to see if its you

Yeah still got it. Think I'll get it MOT'd this summer if things get back to normal. Not even started it for 8 years!
    Yours sounds like a nice one. Do you use it?

I've been offered a VERY nice '67 Beetle, but don't have anywhere to keep it at present, hence thinking about building a garage. Used to drive various old VWs in the past - some of you may remember the green and yellow '72 I used to leave around Canton.

I've been offered a VERY nice '67 Beetle, but don't have anywhere to keep it at present, hence thinking about building a garage. Used to drive various old VWs in the past - some of you may remember the green and yellow '72 I used to leave around Canton.
    I bought a brand new container for less than 4k . You do need to air regularly them though.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post

Yeah still got it. Think I'll get it MOT'd this summer if things get back to normal. Not even started it for 8 years!
    Yours sounds like a nice one. Do you use it?
    Less and less . Wont take it out in the wet . When i drive it , I drive it like I just stole it .