+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Did Ian Botham ever play at Ninian Park?

Did Ian Botham ever play at Ninian Park?

Prompted by the questions in a quiz posed recently, I seem to recall Ian Botham turning out for Scunthorpe for a few games, whilst he was an England cricketer. Yes, it happened - and I remember he was on the bench for a game at Ninian Park, but did he get on the pitch?

Re: Did Ian Botham ever play at Ninian Park?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Prompted by the questions in a quiz posed recently, I seem to recall Ian Botham turning out for Scunthorpe for a few games, whilst he was an England cricketer. Yes, it happened - and I remember he was on the bench for a game at Ninian Park, but did he get on the pitch?
    I see that your post hasn't fallen victim to the 'Scunthorpe Problem'.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Botham played for Scunthorpe between 1980 and 85. We didn’t play Scunthorpe during that time, so never plated or was a sub at Ninian Park.

Don't know, although his grandson was born in Cardiff. I know that doesn't help

As TOBW says above he only played 11 times for Scunthorpe and never against us. He wasn't as great at football as he was at cricket, barely making the Scunthorpe team. Mind you I never even played for Scunthorpe.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Botham played for Scunthorpe between 1980 and 85. We didn’t play Scunthorpe during that time, so never PLATED or was a sub at Ninian Park.

Yes, but did he play there

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Nike Tiempo?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Nike Tiempo?
    Yeah butt.

The advert always stuck with me.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Botham played for Scunthorpe between 1980 and 85. We didn’t play Scunthorpe during that time, so never plated or was a sub at Ninian Park.
    That's weird. I've always had this memory in my head of being at a City-Scunthorpe game (at Ninian Park), and he was on the bench, and every time a sub came on, everyone was wondering if it was going to be Botham. Clearly I made it all up. How strange.