+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Have I got Arthritis ?

Have I got Arthritis ?

I'm making an assumption that if you are reading this you may know the symptoms or be a sufferer and maybe you can help. Over the past month or so i've had a pain I have never experienced before radiating from my shoulder right down to my elbow, its definitely not muscular and although sound weird feels like it could be 'bone pain'. The pain can be brought on by reaching, and i am unable to put any weight on it, eg, tuck it under my pillow when sleeping. I have had an electronic appointment with the docs, but he came back with 'go to physio' rather than suggesting a diagnosis and physio.

Does this sound like arthritis, if so i think its permanent. The pain is agony and comparable to cramp.

Any ideas ??

Re: Have I got Arthritis ?

It sounds more like nerves than arthritis if it's come on fairly suddenly.

Do you sleep in awkward positions? Have you overexerted your self by lifting something heavy? Have you ever had an injury to that arm, even if it was years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    It sounds more like nerves than arthritis if it's come on fairly suddenly.

Do you sleep in awkward positions? Have you overexerted your self by lifting something heavy? Have you ever had an injury to that arm, even if it was years ago?

I agree, sounds like nerve trouble between the 6th and 7th vertebrae.

After suffering the same problems as you're getting for years, I needed keyhole surgery to relieve it

Doesnt sound like arthritis at all (I have the Rheumatoid version). Any flare up with RA wouldn't travel along a limb as you describe, but be more joint specific.
    Do you have restricted movement in the shoulder joint? If you did there could be some inflammation that could have trapped a nerve causing the symptoms you're describing.

International

Some years ago I started getting a pain near my left knee that seemed to travel up my leg bone and arrive at my hip. When I explained it fully to my doctor he said "You have just given me a text book desription of arthritis of the hip."
    He sent me for x-rays at the RI and when they came back he showed me the wear on my hip joints and said, "It is perfectly normal for a 60 yr old". When I pointed out to him that I was only 48 he laughed and said "I know". (He's a barsteward but a brilliant doctor)
    The early onset was the direct result of a job I did earlier in life, but even now I only get it very sparodically thank God (Can I say that without enraging sludg? )

as others have said, sounds like a pinched nerve at the top of the spine just below collar bone heaight and had it myself many years ago.

I learnt from the physio how to get the wife to sort the nerve problem out by pressing on the offending vertebrae.

for the record I've got proper arthritis in my knee and on the list for a total knee replacement.

good luck!

TIB

Cheers all, looks like I should make that physio appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    my mrs has the same issues, tried physio, now just started treatment with a chiropractor

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Repeatng above.

I’ve had it left and right side

Sounds like a nerve.

I gave up on the physio and went to a chiropractor in the end. The right side took around 4 months before I felt it had recovered.

Apart from the treatment you also need patience with it.

Good luck. Hope it improves soon

I agree, Steve Cannon is excellent: http://www.dtr-clinic.com/

Ever thought of asking a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Ever thought of asking a doctor.
    Ever thought of reading the thread ?

I had a similar thing happen to me a couple of years ago . After spending a fortune on physio I had to have my arm amputated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I had a similar thing happen to me a couple of years ago . After spending a fortune on physio I had to have my arm amputated.
    And forever known as the one armed ban..........

I'm making an assumption that if you are reading this you may know the symptoms or be a sufferer and maybe you can help. Over the past month or so i've had a pain I have never experienced before radiating from my shoulder right down to my elbow, its definitely not muscular and although sound weird feels like it could be 'bone pain'. The pain can be brought on by reaching, and i am unable to put any weight on it, eg, tuck it under my pillow when sleeping. I have had an electronic appointment with the docs, but he came back with 'go to physio' rather than suggesting a diagnosis and physio.

Does this sound like arthritis, if so i think its permanent. The pain is agony and comparable to cramp.

Any ideas ??
    Can you lift your arm above your head without difficulty?

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Can you lift your arm above your head without difficulty?
    No, it induces the pain.

Cheers Jim, I now have visions of you struggling with the magic roundabouts in Swindon.

No, it induces the pain.
    It maybe a tendinitis in the shoulder. A swelling of the tendon. Sometimes called painful arc syndrome because it’s painful to lift your arm above your head and rotate it. Sometimes can painful when trying to put food into your mouth.

Get it checked out. If it is this rest, physio, analgesics or a steroid injection in the shoulder joint area should fix it

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    It maybe a tendinitis in the shoulder. A swelling of the tendon. Sometimes called painful arc syndrome because it’s painful to lift your arm above your head and rotate it. Sometimes can painful when trying to put food into your mouth.

Get it checked out. If it is this rest, physio, analgesics or a steroid injection in the shoulder joint area should fix it
    the steroid injection won't be painful at all

Honest

International

When people talk about cosulting a doctor for a second opinion it always makes me wonder why if they think he knows better they didn't just ask him first?

I'll also reiterate what others have said, doesn't seem like arthritis to me. I get psoriatic arthritis and it's affected nearly every joint in my body, but the pain is always confined to a specific area.

A friend of mine had similar shoulder trouble and a cortisone/steroid injection sorted it for him.