+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: There’s some crap teams in this league

Re: There’s some crap teams in this league

After watching Burnley v. West Brom the same could be said about the Premier League.

In fairness the strong gusting wind didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Agreed. Warnock had plenty of faults but he also did some good things which people are quick to forget.

What has happened at Boro since he joined? I’m not saying that it is sustainable long term but the the weirdly lopsided criticism of Warnock on here is strange. Almost like he never got us promoted at all.
    Warnock seems to be becoming a better manager with age. He was already a good one but now is correcting mistakes each time he starts at a new club:

i) did a good job with Rotherham but left before able to complete their turn around
    ii) stayed longer with Cardiff to complete turn around, but thought far too much about the short-term and spent far too much money taking us back to where we were before he arrived
    iii) Completing the turn around with Boro, is now talking about longer term plans for the club and doesn't seem to have spent so poorly thus far.

From what I can see, one of the biggest criticism of him as a manager from his old clubs is that he leaves clubs up a creek having spent big on limited and/or older players. He did that here which is why he's got such a bad reputation.

Agreed. Warnock had plenty of faults but he also did some good things which people are quick to forget.

What has happened at Boro since he joined? I’m not saying that it is sustainable long term but the the weirdly lopsided criticism of Warnock on here is strange. Almost like he never got us promoted at all.
    Maybe because he got us relegated as well. Perhaps I'm wrong and other club's fans are exactly the same, but it's strange how our promotions to the Premier League are so lauded and our immediate relegations almost ignored because, after all, "no one expected us to stay up did they?". Both times we went up we did so automatically with points totals that were large enough to secure a top two finish in most seasons, so why, particularly in 18/19, did we go into the top flight almost believing relegation was inevitable?

For me, part of that was down to Warnock, as usual, making it all about himself. I'll always give due recognition to Neil Warnock for getting us promoted, but, as soon as we were up, his version of events was that he'd achieved some sort of miracle and now it was all about plucky little Cardiff trying to match the big boys.

Neil Warnock's managerial record over a period of decades shows him to be a very good manager, in the short and medium term anyway, at most of the clubs he's taken charge of in the Football League and a poor one when it comes to the Premier League. I would argue that part of the reason for that is that he clings stubbornly to the notion that the methods that serve him well in the lower leagues can work in the top division.

Warnock took over at City with us twenty third in the Championship and he spent an awful lot of money on poor buys (he also brought in some free transfer gems to be fair) getting us nine places up the table to the position we were in when he left - it's not a great record.
    "

Warnock pissed over £15m up the wall in the summer of 2019 and undid all the good work of his previous 2.5 years in charge.