+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Second highest scorers

Second highest scorers

Only Brentford top City’s 46 League goals, shared between 14 players, not very often in recent years that City are towards the top end of the goal scoring charts. Moore makes a big difference but 13 others chipping in is a great contribution. Not bad for a hoof ball team :)

Re: Second highest scorers

And people say we need an identity.
    We have one. We physically dominate teams which then allows us to score goals, loads of them.
    'The Caaaardiff way'

It is still hoofball.

There is undoubted quality up front though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    It is still hoofball.

Nothing wrong with good quality hoofball.

It is still hoofball.

I think hoofball is a tad harsh. We’ve got players a lot closer to Moore, full backs higher up the pitch. Under Warnock we’d have everyone in our half except the striker and then just smash the ball up to him. Hope to win a long throw or free kick/corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    And people say we need an identity.
    We have one. We physically dominate teams which then allows us to score goals, loads of them.
    'The Caaaardiff way'
    I think the problem is transferring that (or not) to the prem.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I think hoofball is a tad harsh. We’ve got players a lot closer to Moore, full backs higher up the pitch. Under Warnock we’d have everyone in our half except the striker and then just smash the ball up to him. Hope to win a long throw or free kick/corner.
    Yes, there's a directness about it, but it's done in a very calculated way. Most exciting stuff seen by the side since we won promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes, there's a directness about it, but it's done in a very calculated way. Most exciting stuff seen by the side since we won promotion.
    Well done to Mick not bad football at all.

It is still hoofball.

They're not aimlessly lumping it forwards. We'd never score the second goal under Warnock. Moore doesn't half help though, what a player. You can kick it near him, and he'll come down with it to give you a platform to play.

Its direct, but its not hoofball

It is still hoofball.

The way Ng and Bennett are making their presence felt in our opponent’s half is moving us away from the hoofball label. We’ve become far less direct of late, some wonderful football leading up to our goals rather than the crash, bang, wallop of recent times.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The way Ng and Bennett are making their presence felt in our opponent’s half is moving us away from the hoofball label. We’ve become far less direct of late, some wonderful football leading up to our goals rather than the crash, bang, wallop of recent times.
    Could not have put it better myself

Its still hoofball .

we seem to be scoring more from open play as well.

We look very sharp up front .
    Direct
    Its hit and hope , thankfully we have quality up front .

I guess points on the board are being misconstrued to fit the agenda.

I definitely wouldn’t call it hit and hope

We look very sharp up front .
    Direct
    Its hit and hope , thankfully we have quality up front .

I guess points on the board are being misconstrued to fit the agenda.
    Aye, Wilson hit it to Murphy and Murphy hoped his shot would go in. Moore hoped his eye catching diving header would go in from a lovely cross, only for the excellent following up by Pack allowed him to hit it in. Yep hit & hope followed by hope & hit

Warnock, Harris and now MM have all based their play on no nonsense defending, getting it forward as quickly as possible and forward players doing the business. Harris built on this using wing-backs and Tomlin, but in second season lost both the advantage of defensive solidity and that central creativity; MM has has recaptured no nonsense defending but also given central midfielders some confidence of recycling the ball if chance is not immediately on - at least at times. Don't think you can watch Flint and Nelson and say we're not still hoofball, but two playing risk-free and rest trying to play football is the opposite proportions of what Warnock left us with even if personal and possession stats not that different.

Games are going to get tougher and will be interesting to see if players like Vaulks revert to aimless balls forward when under more pressure, and it should also be said that our front three are more talented than previous versions, but so far the development in style of play is one for the pros list of whether MM should be given a longer contract.

Goals are the most exciting part of the game, if we are scoring then the style on which they are achieved is secondary for me.

I'd love us to play like Man City, but it isn't happening and at the moment I'm enjoying our matches a lot more than the likes of Preston, who played had a lot of the ball but did little with it and had the desire and work rate of an old cat.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Its direct, but its not hoofball
    Exactly and who gives a shit as long as we are winning.

The thought of going to the Premier League and bullying teams and allowing the quality to win the games fills me with joy.

Possession and number of passes mean **** all, win games.

Vaulks puts it very well here

https://youtu.be/eCi0Lot9A1g

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    They're not aimlessly lumping it forwards. We'd never score the second goal under Warnock. Moore doesn't half help though, what a player. You can kick it near him, and he'll come down with it to give you a platform to play.
    Generally, that is true. Perhaps with the exception of Vaulks, his distribtion yesterday which rubbish. Hagic Mick's comment was telling " You have to be good a winning the ball becuase you give it away so often". Hw does have other things to his game though!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Our entire game depends on Moore playing up front. It didn't matter yesterday, but I don't think we won a single aerial duel in the opposition half after Mark Harris replaced him, which meant that our long balls were just handing possession back to Preston.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    Generally, that is true. Perhaps with the exception of Vaulks, his distribtion yesterday which rubbish. Hagic Mick's comment was telling " You have to be good a winning the ball becuase you give it away so often". Hw does have other things to his game though!
    Vaulks wasn't great yesterday. He must have mishit at least five or six passes.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Exactly and who gives a shit as long as we are winning.

The thought of going to the Premier League and bullying teams and allowing the quality to win the games fills me with joy.

Possession and number of passes mean **** all, win games.

Vaulks puts it very well here

https://youtu.be/eCi0Lot9A1g
    If you can beat teams by putting it behind them and putting them under pressure you should do it. If you're struggling to get yourself into the game with that tactic you should look to keep hold of the ball and identify where their weakness as opposed to allowing them to constantly run past your midfield when you kick/long throw it back to them.

I thought Preston opened us up at times yesterday and the main difference in the first half was Moore being a much better player than Ched Evans. Preston couldn't cope with us in second half, despite almost being gifted a way back into things, so our tactics were right for this game but that doesn't mean the same tactics will deliver best chance of beating Bournemouth, Boro, Stoke, Watford and Swansea over next couple of games or staying up if we do get promoted. Need more in our locker.