+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giles sports ram raid!!

Giles sports ram raid!!

Was anyone else on here, in or around St Marys St on that night? Think it was a Friday. Can’t remember what yr either, but it must have been late 80’s?
    Me and a few mates were heading to the Philharmonic, when all of a sudden, this car just reversed straight into the windows of Giles Sports.
    The following 10/15 minutes were complete mayhem. I’ve never seen a place get emptied as quick as that!!
    The place was overwhelmed in minutes, with folk grabbing what ever they could.
    I got some golf clubs, trainers and a baseball bat 😂😂😂

Re: Giles sports ram raid!!

Expect a knock on your door in the morning

Sports shops of the eighties-in cardiff-think there were four in the centre, Giles sports (Caroline st?) Olympus sport (Queen st) What was the one in St Johns square called-Intersport? And there was that Welsh sports ? By the City Arms. Sportsflair in Canton and Wellfield rd, Cardiff sporrtsgear in Whitchurch rd. Bolwells in blsckwood was great for those into their Adidas Gazelle, Jeans etc, the locals didn't seem as enthusiastic about purchasing them as the football boys from cardiff.

Always enjoyed Bolwells in Blackwood. Pretty sure they had another branch in Monmouth too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Sports shops of the eighties-in cardiff-think there were four in the centre, Giles sports (Caroline st?) Olympus sport (Queen st) What was the one in St Johns square called-Intersport? And there was that Welsh sports ? By the City Arms. Sportsflair in Canton and Wellfield rd, Cardiff sporrtsgear in Whitchurch rd. Bolwells in blsckwood was great for those into their Adidas Gazelle, Jeans etc, the locals didn't seem as enthusiastic about purchasing them as the football boys from cardiff.

An there's me, thinking all the "sports gear", was supplied at the back of Mill Lane Fruit Market Stalls, for cash

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Expect a knock on your door in the morning
    It’s ok. Guilt got the better of me and i took it all into Canton police station the following morning.
    That’s me just out of clink yesterday morning.

Was Giles sports anything to do with David Giles and his family?

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Always enjoyed Bolwells in Blackwood. Pretty sure they had another branch in Monmouth too.

Me too, spent most Saturdays in there.
    They sold random football stuff such as a Norwich City winter coat, which I thought was odd in blackwood.
    They used to have a rail outside where football shirts were a fiver.
    I remember getting a 1985 blue man utd 3rd shirt.
    Hated man utd but the shirt was cool as.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Was Giles sports anything to do with David Giles and his family?
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/busine...d-deal-2353983

I remember Austin Reed in Queen St getting done by the Docks boys.

Gosh I remember them , orientated towards Rugby and Canterbury gear wasn't it ?? had some great bargains though ,different stuff to your normal sport shops , independent look about it

Took a few trips up to Bolwells. It was the only place you could get Gazelles at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Was anyone else on here, in or around St Marys St on that night? Think it was a Friday. Can’t remember what yr either, but it must have been late 80’s?
    Me and a few mates were heading to the Philharmonic, when all of a sudden, this car just reversed straight into the windows of Giles Sports.
    The following 10/15 minutes were complete mayhem. I’ve never seen a place get emptied as quick as that!!
    The place was overwhelmed in minutes, with folk grabbing what ever they could.
    I got some golf clubs, trainers and a baseball bat ������
    Argh those were the days when we could shop freely for non essentials without old bill chasing you about

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I remember Austin Reed in Queen St getting done by the Docks boys.
    Its always advisable to be well dressed for an appearance before the judge 😁

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Took a few trips up to Bolwells. It was the only place you could get Gazelles at one point.
    I used to take the train over to Bristol, fiver return. Got myself some Wine red Gazelle, and some Pink Adidas Jeans

The West Glamorgan contingent of the cardiff city fan base were always well dressed in pringle and those Patrick blue and black zip ups due to , its alleged, a number of raids on sports shops in Porthcawl, Port Talbot and Neath

I had a Patrick top but I paid for mine

Bolwells had all sorts of goodies. Apart from Gazelles I had a pair of Keglar, Grand Slam and Lendl daps from there. It was an Aladdin's cave for Adidas stuff.

Getting to Blackwood was a pain in the arse mind. Had to catch a Red & White or a Islwn Borough bus from Treharris square. Inevitably Blackwood was full of weirdos who hail from Gwent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Bolwells had all sorts of goodies. Apart from Gazelles I had a pair of Keglar, Grand Slam and Lendl daps from there. It was an Aladdin's cave for Adidas stuff.

Getting to Blackwood was a pain in the arse mind. Had to catch a Red & White or a Islwn Borough bus from Treharris square. Inevitably Blackwood was full of weirdos who hail from Gwent.
    Gwent is full of weirdos, granted, Caerphilly is proper ****ed up Bolwells had a stack of dead stock, back in the day when a pair of daps would stay on the shelf for a couple of years. Got myself a pair of Trimm Trabbs for next to nothing because one of them had been on display for a year and the sun had bleached it Howells and David Morgan had their own little sports department with the odd bit of kit that stuck in the store room for a few years. Allders had a massive box where they sold off seconds Farah trousers. I bought some disasters, Light blue, cream etc

Gwent is full of weirdos, granted, Caerphilly is proper ****ed up Bolwells had a stack of dead stock, back in the day when a pair of daps would stay on the shelf for a couple of years. Got myself a pair of Trimm Trabbs for next to nothing because one of them had been on display for a year and the sun had bleached it Howells and David Morgan had their own little sports department with the odd bit of kit that stuck in the store room for a few years. Allders had a massive box where they sold off seconds Farah trousers. I bought some disasters, Light blue, cream etc
    Gwent is full of weirdos, says the man who used to walk round with different coloured daps on each foot

The little basement sports place of David Morgan always had a flood of Le Coq Sportif in it. It's weird how you remember these things. When David Morgan closed 2000+ something, they had on sale loads of Ronnie Corbert style Pringle for next to nothing. Wandered in on the closure run up and bought a few jumpers which I sold on Ebay to wannabe 80s football freaks.

Cardiff was a much more interesting place to shop years ago. It had loads more character. You mentioned Olympus Sports, I loved that place.

Gwent is full of weirdos, says the man who used to walk round with different coloured daps on each foot

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    The little basement sports place of David Morgan always had a flood of Le Coq Sportif in it. It's weird how you remember these things. When David Morgan closed 2000+ something, they had on sale loads of Ronnie Corbert style Pringle for next to nothing. Wandered in on the closure run up and bought a few jumpers which I sold on Ebay to wannabe 80s football freaks.

Cardiff was a much more interesting place to shop years ago. It had loads more character. You mentioned Olympus Sports, I loved that place.

I was looking at Le Coq Sportif stuff the other day, i think that they must've downscaled and their stuff is a bit shit now anyway. Remember c-17? Had a pair of Patch jeans that i bought in London, they brought out the flares in the late eighties, big mistake, i looked a bigger twat than usual and (rightly) took some stick over wearing them. Chevignon was nice stuff, as was Chippie, nice jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The West Glamorgan contingent of the cardiff city fan base were always well dressed in pringle and those Patrick blue and black zip ups due to , its alleged, a number of raids on sports shops in Porthcawl, Port Talbot and Neath

Patrick tops were cheap, they weren't the choice of the discerning 'dresser'.

I remember travelling up to Sharp Sports in London to buy a Tachini tracksuit (1982).
    It was only a small shop, but it was absolutely rammed with designer wear.
    You had to ring the doorbell first, then the owner, an Asian guy, would only let people in one at a time.
    There were stories of scousers, in particular, who would carry small razor blades and cut off the logos from the merchandise whilst in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    in the east of the city.
    Llanrumney was pringle jumpers from a certain golf club

Edwards Sports hasn’t had a mention, in Church St, if I recall. Welsh Sports in Quay St and, as mentioned, Gilesports on the corner of Caroline St opposite The Cambrian.They were the popular three in the 60s, although you could get Olivers Spot Kick from ..erm..Olivers on the corner of Church St & High St, where the Co-Op bank is now.