+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Giles sports ram raid!!

Re: Giles sports ram raid!!

Some nice stuff on here for those who'd like to relive their youth
    https://www.80scasualclassics.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Edwards Sports hasn’t had a mention, in Church St, if I recall. Welsh Sports in Quay St and, as mentioned, Gilesports on the corner of Caroline St opposite The Cambrian.They were the popular three in the 60s, although you could get Olivers Spot Kick from ..erm..Olivers on the corner of Church St & High St, where the Co-Op bank is now.
    Edwards sports! that's the one that i called Inter sports-don't know why! Olivers 'Sizzler' trainers, two stripes on them i think, we called them Adidas stingies where i grew up-if you had the four stripe shoe shop own brand, then you had Adidas generous

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Edwards sports! that's the one that i called Inter sports-don't know why! Olivers 'Sizzler' trainers, two stripes on them i think, we called them Adidas stingies where i grew up-if you had the four stripe shoe shop own brand, then you had Adidas generous

Can you remember when JJB Sports in Queens West Arcade had a basketball court in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Can you remember when JJB Sports in Queens West Arcade had a basketball court in it?
    I think that i can. That place died on it's arse. When it first opened, wasn't it all food outlets like spud u like and that kind of thing? The Capitol at the bottom of Queen St is finished as well, like a ghost town.

I think that i can. That place died on it's arse. When it first opened, wasn't it all food outlets like spud u like and that kind of thing? The Capitol at the bottom of Queen St is finished as well, like a ghost town.
    yeah both had food courts. The Capitol Arcade became a white elephant before Covid, at one time it had massive Virgin music shop, Boots, the food court - it was thriving

Town has been dying retailwise for a while. And now this pandemic is going to ruin it even more. Queen St is phone case shops, christmas pop ups and even has a chip shop on it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    yeah both had food courts. The Capitol Arcade became a white elephant before Covid, at one time it had massive Virgin music shop, Boots, the food court - it was thriving

Town has been dying retailwise for a while. And now this pandemic is going to ruin it even more. Queen St is phone case shops, christmas pop ups and even has a chip shop on it!!
    The lack of pubs on Queen St always puzzled me, of course there was the Taff Vale but can’t remember any other traditional type boozers there, a few were dotted about off Queen St like The Marchioness of Bute and The Park Vaults but they weren’t actually on the main drag. There was one on the corner of Station Terrace, The Alexandra which after years under that name eventually became The Pig & Whistle which, in the big picture, didn’t last that long. Wonder why this was when other city centre streets had numerous pubs?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The lack of pubs on Queen St always puzzled me, of course there was the Taff Vale but can’t remember any other traditional type boozers there, a few were dotted about off Queen St like The Marchioness of Bute and The Park Vaults but they weren’t actually on the main drag. There was one on the corner of Station Terrace, The Alexandra which after years under that name eventually became The Pig & Whistle which, in the big picture, didn’t last that long. Wonder why this was when other city centre streets had numerous pubs?
    The Lexington at the bottom of Queen St (Dumfries place) and that god awful night club where the Cinema was. Neither were pubs though.

I was looking at Le Coq Sportif stuff the other day, i think that they must've downscaled and their stuff is a bit shit now anyway. Remember c-17? Had a pair of Patch jeans that i bought in London, they brought out the flares in the late eighties, big mistake, i looked a bigger twat than usual and (rightly) took some stick over wearing them. Chevignon was nice stuff, as was Chippie, nice jeans.
    C17 Jean's been reissued, bought etc and available now. They were my preference although I stayed well clear of flares.

I remember the cup game with QPR and watching a bit of a kerfuffle between City and the Cockneys from the Players lounge. I was amused to watching people running back and fore with a pair of gold and white Barker Baggies on. It was pissing down to so their Jean's must have held loads of water which soaked up from the jeans bottoms. Imagine getting pulled for that and being identified because you had such utter shit taste in clothing.

Sports shops of the eighties-in cardiff-think there were four in the centre, Giles sports (Caroline st?) Olympus sport (Queen st) What was the one in St Johns square called-Intersport? And there was that Welsh sports ? By the City Arms. Sportsflair in Canton and Wellfield rd, Cardiff sporrtsgear in Whitchurch rd. Bolwells in blsckwood was great for those into their Adidas Gazelle, Jeans etc, the locals didn't seem as enthusiastic about purchasing them as the football boys from cardiff.
    Many a trip to bolwells 1990 ish....what a gold mine that was on our doorstep

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I remember Austin Reed in Queen St getting done by the Docks boys.
    You definitely couldn’t go and buy anything Lacoste, film or ellesse in Olympus on Queen street if you were a young lad mid 80’s it would be kindly taken off you outside....

The Lexington at the bottom of Queen St (Dumfries place) and that god awful night club where the Cinema was. Neither were pubs though.
    Shivers (later The Night Owl) club.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Llanrumney was pringle jumpers from a certain golf club
    Radyr? No cctv or alarm at one point in time. Think the Ely boys liked the place

I used to take the train over to Bristol, fiver return. Got myself some Wine red Gazelle, and some Pink Adidas Jeans
    I had pink Adidas jeans....and purple gazelles

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Radyr? No cctv or alarm at one point in time. Think the Ely boys liked the place
    Nah St Mellons

I had pink Adidas jeans....and purple gazelles
    I've still got them(not the originals ) they're in a box in the wardrobe. I should really wear them

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    C17 Jean's been reissued, bought etc and available now. They were my preference although I stayed well clear of flares.

I remember the cup game with QPR and watching a bit of a kerfuffle between City and the Cockneys from the Players lounge. I was amused to watching people running back and fore with a pair of gold and white Barker Baggies on. It was pissing down to so their Jean's must have held loads of water which soaked up from the jeans bottoms. Imagine getting pulled for that and being identified because you had such utter shit taste in clothing.
    Barker Baggies were rank. That crappy bit of suede on the pocket. They were shit quality, as stiff as a board. I don't think that anuone looked good in them, especially if you were a short legged ****er like me, the bottom would drag on the floor.

Barker Baggies were rank. That crappy bit of suede on the pocket. They were shit quality, as stiff as a board. I don't think that anuone looked good in them, especially if you were a short legged ****er like me, the bottom would drag on the floor.
    C17, Ball and chippy jeans with patches etc from woodies or pavilion....I had a pair of dungarees about 1988 too....with pink Adidas jeans...Christ alive

C17, Ball and chippy jeans with patches etc from woodies or pavilion....I had a pair of dungarees about 1988 too....with pink Adidas jeans...Christ alive
    Ball Jeans

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Was anyone else on here, in or around St Marys St on that night? Think it was a Friday. Can’t remember what yr either, but it must have been late 80’s?
    Me and a few mates were heading to the Philharmonic, when all of a sudden, this car just reversed straight into the windows of Giles Sports.
    The following 10/15 minutes were complete mayhem. I’ve never seen a place get emptied as quick as that!!
    The place was overwhelmed in minutes, with folk grabbing what ever they could.
    I got some golf clubs, trainers and a baseball bat 😂😂😂
    I was passing when someone did the Benetton store when it was on the corner of queen street one night, just next to where the Police van used to park up from 8 pm onwards, not sue why but the van had gone, it was a free for all,

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I was passing when someone did the Benetton store when it was on the corner of queen street one night, just next to where the Police van used to park up from 8 pm onwards, not sue why but the van had gone, it was a free for all,
    Early nineties?

I recall a few away games where certain shops would get done over. Five of us missed the coach to Blackpool by the Empire pool one year (91/92 ish), whilst wondering what to do the “loony” coach comes along half empty and they nicely insisted we get on.....what a lovely day that was. Straight into some designer shop not long after arriving, about 30 of them coming out with all sorts and the owner losing it with a baseball bat, police everywhere...I was Uber glad just to get home that day.

Early nineties?

92, the year before i left on my backpacking trip, infact it was partly the reason i left ( but thats another story )

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

92, the year before i left on my backpacking trip, infact it was partly the reason i left ( but thats another story )
    I referred to that incident in the friday night drinking thread, just gone. Lets just say that a fair portion of Llanedeyrn (including pensioners) were walking about in those brightly coloured Benetton puffa jackets

I referred to that incident in the friday night drinking thread, just gone. Lets just say that a fair portion of Llanedeyrn (including pensioners) were walking about in those brightly coloured Benetton puffa jackets
    just found it it truly was a free-for-all, I just kept on thinking " where are the Old bill ", then the shop was empty and it was done