+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Big Match revisited

The Big Match revisited

I know this series has been mentioned before on here but I have just watched the last episode of the 1975 season. The winner of their goal of 1975 competition was Jimmy Greenhoff , but the winner of the prize for picking the best goal was some old Welsh chap who said he supported Bristol Rovers.
    When Brian Moore asked him his low point as a football supporter he said it was being unable to attend the Cardiff v Sheffield Utd cup final as he’d just been called up to join the army. His football highlight he said was Cardiff beating Leicester. I haven’t a clue what game he was referring to. Could it have been a promotion game in the 50s maybe?

As I said, I know the programme has been discussed on here previously, but I must say how much I’ve enjoyed watching the football as I remember it as a youngster.

Re: The Big Match revisited

Maybe he was a time traveller referring to the play-off semi final of 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Maybe he was a time traveller referring to the play-off semi final of 2010.

These programme are great. I prefer watching them to present day football on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I know this series has been mentioned before on here but I have just watched the last episode of the 1975 season. The winner of their goal of 1975 competition was Jimmy Greenhoff , but the winner of the prize for picking the best goal was some old Welsh chap who said he supported Bristol Rovers.
    When Brian Moore asked him his low point as a football supporter he said it was being unable to attend the Cardiff v Sheffield Utd cup final as he’d just been called up to join the army. His football highlight he said was Cardiff beating Leicester. I haven’t a clue what game he was referring to. Could it have been a promotion game in the 50s maybe?

As I said, I know the programme has been discussed on here previously, but I must say how much I’ve enjoyed watching the football as I remember it as a youngster.
    Cardiff did beat Leicester on their way to the 1925 final with Willie Davies scoring the first ever goal direct from a corner (the rules had changed at the beginning of the season as previously it would have been a goal kick). It was the first game my Dad went to!

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Cardiff did beat Leicester on their way to the 1925 final with Willie Davies scoring the first ever goal direct from a corner (the rules had changed at the beginning of the season as previously it would have been a goal kick). It was the first game my Dad went to!
    That must be it. I think he did mention a goal by Davies.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post

These programme are great. I prefer watching them to present day football on TV.
    Trouble is they keep on showing the same three seasons and I saw all of them during the first lockdown when they’d show three shows every morning. That have so many other seasons they could show, even old black and white games from the sixties.

I’m sure we best Leicester to go up to Div 1 in the early 1960s??

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I’m sure we best Leicester to go up to Div 1 in the early 1960s??
    That was Villa in 59/60 Graham Moore header I believe and we played in all white.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post

If his low point was missing the 1925 final, does that mean he went to the 1927 final? And if so, why wasn't that his high point?

if we are rolling back the years this might bring some nostalga to some on here

saturday fever - ninian park mentioned to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8W0mnX2TNQ

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If his low point was missing the 1925 final, does that mean he went to the 1927 final? And if so, why wasn't that his high point?
    I watched the show that he was on the other week and I was sure he said it was missing the 1927 Cup Final that was his biggest regret not the 1925 one.

After me moaning about them only having a few seasons to show a few days ago, I discovered this morning that’s there’s a new series of Big Match Revisited’s covering 79/80 - the first one is from October of that season because there was a strike which prevented it being broadcast before that. The one I watched featured Spurs v Forest with Glenn Hoddle in top form and there were three red cards in the other two matches - well worth a look at on the ITV hub.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That was Villa in 59/60 Graham Moore header I believe and we played in all white.
    It was a shot from the edge of the area after a cross by Colin 'Rock' Hudson.
    We played in all white a lot that season because the players thought it was a lucky kit. Can't see that happening again.