+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Self Assessment Tax Return

Self Assessment Tax Return

How much time and effort is it to do?

I’m just over the threshold of claiming for business mileage tax relief.

Generally claim via a P87 which takes 20 mins and get a check through for about £200 from HMRC but now with a bit extra mileage added on it’s asked me to submit a self assessment. Is it worth bothering? Or can I just submit up to the threshold on a P87 and sack off the rest?

International

Re: Self Assessment Tax Return

If you are already registered as self employed you should have a UTR, if not you'll need to get one.
    I just completed a return and while doing so I called the help line and a girl talked me though each of the boxes I didn't understand as I completed them. She was very helpful.
    It isn't easy but like you I had mileage allowance to claim back, in my case about £3K so it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    If you are already registered as self employed you should have a UTR, if not you'll need to get one.
    I just completed a return and while doing so I called the help line and a girl talked me though each of the boxes I didn't understand as I completed them. She was very helpful.
    It isn't easy but like you I had mileage allowance to claim back, in my case about £3K so it was worth it.
    I’m not self employed I just have to do business mileage in a car that I own so for me the P87 was perfect. Total up my miles and my payments back from my company and it was easy.

Not so sure it’s worth it going forward

I use an account, costs me £300 for the return and is money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    I use an account, costs me £300 for the return and is money well spent.
    I’d get circa £500 max back from the mileage so really not worth it for me

Feedback

it takes me about 2 minutes to file my self-assessment. its a very simple exercise.

you can also claim working from home at £4/week, or £6/week for 2020/21, if you've not already done so.