Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
I still have doubts whether Sala's registration had been legally transferred from Nantes to Cardiff at the time of the crash.

I don't think his eligibility to play in the Premier League or not is the issue (he could be a Cardiff player and still ineligible on various technicalities) but despite all the reports and threads on this I still don't know if the transfer was properly completed. The club's position that the contract documentation was invalid - and that it would have been revised and re-signed after Sala's return to Cardiff to deal with the contract anomalies - sounds plausible to me. That was not considered by FIFA and is the basis of the appeal to CIS.

The role of the McKays (still at the time acting for Nantes) in arranging the flight is a separate reason for disputing the FIFA judgement.

I find myself agreeing with you !
Under French law he remains their employee until they have paid him all monies owed.

They claim that they somehow decided at 9.15 pm - shortly before his death - to issue a cheque in respect of this sum.

However it seems implausible that someone was in personnel at Nantes FC signing cheques at that time of the evening , and it is impossible to explain why they would have made the cheque to his family rather than him at a time when he wasn't dead and no one had any reason to suspect that he might be.

The suggestion , of course, is that they falsely backdated this cheque to make it appear that he was no longer an employee of Nantes FC, and had ceased to be shortly before his unexpected and unfortunate death.