+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And so it goes on ( Sala )

Shocking revelation about Emiliano Sala case.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.co...emiliano-sala/

This item demonstrates that some of the initial criminal allegations flying about at the time which were regarded as fanciful by many, including myself, might actually have some substance in reality.

Very interesting , and if somewhat rationalises the clubs stance on the matter I think .

Re: And so it goes on ( Sala )

Gosh this is dragging , my heart says we should pay

That sort of fee ( €17m ) value would buy Wilson .

I'd love to give the fee directly to the family .

It does seem that Nantes have the upper hand in this matter. But I think it is right that City question the involvement of the 'agent' in this case, and maybe ask where all the money was going? I know Nantes were trying to sell him for £6 Euro the summer before, so how much was being whisked away to third parties? City have set aside an amount in their accounts for this fee, but they still have to pay it if the judgement goes against them.

I think it’s in no doubt that Sala was our player when the plane crashed

What is in question is possible illegal 3rd party involvement, banned agents, unlicensed pilots etc

Just highlights the murky world of international transfers

I agree that we should pay - but also if the tragedy was as a result of someone else’s negligence then they should reimburse us.

It could financially cripple the City if we pay. Would anyone on this board pay a supplier for a product not received? Think we should hold on until a fair legal judgement is reached which is right for all parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    It could financially cripple the City if we pay. Would anyone on this board pay a supplier for a product not received? Think we should hold on until a fair legal judgement is reached which is right for all parties.
    As you say, it doesn't make sense to pass judgement without knowing what is involved in this complex case and as to which parties carry responsibility, whether it be financial or moral.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolerblue View Post

What is in question is possible illegal 3rd party involvement, banned agents, unlicensed pilots etc

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    I agree that we should pay - but also if the tragedy was as a result of someone else’s negligence then they should reimburse us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    As you say, it doesn't make sense to pass judgement without knowing what is involved in this complex case and as to which parties carry responsibility, whether it be financial or moral.

I can't find the story now, but I believe the Prem League said in the days following the crash that he wouldn't have been allowed to play for us as he was still registered in France.

But my memory ain't what it used to be.

City should challenge as much as possible.

International

My understanding was that thew money has been 'set aside' in yearly accounts prior to this year. I thought that meant it is asitting in a bank somewhere (Literally or theoretically) while the club/Tan is waiting for a final jusdgement on the matter.
    If that is so I assume it will be acruing some kind of interest (and if Tan's business acumen is as good as I suspect, somewhere where the rate is good) so it's not exactly 'dead' money.
    So if it has already been 'written off' the accounts then shirley if the club has to pay it will not 'financially cripple' the club and if we are adjudged to owe nothing or less than the full amount the club may have funds available unexpectedly.

But whichever it is I think we'll be waiting a long time to know the answer.

I still have doubts whether Sala's registration had been legally transferred from Nantes to Cardiff at the time of the crash.

I don't think his eligibility to play in the Premier League or not is the issue (he could be a Cardiff player and still ineligible on various technicalities) but despite all the reports and threads on this I still don't know if the transfer was properly completed. The club's position that the contract documentation was invalid - and that it would have been revised and re-signed after Sala's return to Cardiff to deal with the contract anomalies - sounds plausible to me. That was not considered by FIFA and is the basis of the appeal to CIS.

The role of the McKays (still at the time acting for Nantes) in arranging the flight is a separate reason for disputing the FIFA judgement.

I agree with Harry Paget Flashman, xsnaggle and Jon 1959. The City are not a charity, nor is Vincent Tan. If one of us on this board Lord Forbid died tragically in an industrial accident without their employer proven being at fault; would the stricken family be entitled to compensation from the said employer? No way in my opinion - any recompense would be payable by the errant party/ies.

Please don’t suggest CCFC payout unless they have to otherwise we may soon be supporting a League 2 side in a couple of seasons!

He had signed, he was our player, he was paraded around the ground with the shirt on.

The only reason he was on the plane was because he was due back here following his return to Nantes to collect belongings etc.

I appreciate those in charge of the clubs finances aren't just going to pay but I also find it incredibly hard to believe any decision will come out in our favour.

Meanwhile, the Sala family continues to wait for the matter to be settled more than two years after the crash - they are suffering emotionally and financially as a result of all this haggling.

Sorry but what you say in the first sentence is just nonsense. If there was no doubt, do you really think that things would have gone on like this for so long. The advice City are receiving is obviously that there is considerable doubt whose player he was and also that there were other irregularities with the transfer.

We should show a sizable generosity to the family, that will not be seen as us admitting liability .

International

I know it will sound cold but I really don't get the comments about the family being poor and itb is City's fault. Why is it? they may have inherited more if the fee had been paid and he had died some time in the future but if he hadn't taken steps to provide for his family anyway why should that burden fall to CCFC?
    I beleive the club agrred to set up some kind of tust and I think that is now going ahead after the removal of some obstructive lawyers, but that was the club being supportive.
    I cannot see there is any legal obligation to give the family anything. Any insurance policy will be paid out once the matter is settled. In the mean time they are no worse off than they were.
    I get the emotional thing and it's nice to be nice but I disagrre with people implying we 'must' do something.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I know it will sound cold but I really don't get the comments about the family being poor and itb is City's fault. Why is it? they may have inherited more if the fee had been paid and he had died some time in the future but if he hadn't taken steps to provide for his family anyway why should that burden fall to CCFC?
    I beleive the club agrred to set up some kind of tust and I think that is now going ahead after the removal of some obstructive lawyers, but that was the club being supportive.
    I cannot see there is any legal obligation to give the family anything. Any insurance policy will be paid out once the matter is settled. In the mean time they are no worse off than they were.
    I get the emotional thing and it's nice to be nice but I disagrre with people implying we 'must' do something.
    it does sound cold.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    it does sound cold.
    I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be nasty but even saying it sounds cold would intimate that anythin would be a gesture and not a legal obligation.
    That's the point I'm trying to get at is that whilst it is a good thing to do there is no such obligation.

So if he was legally ours don’t we get insurance to cover it? I would have thought that’s standard procedure

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    He had signed, he was our player, he was paraded around the ground with the shirt on.

The only reason he was on the plane was because he was due back here following his return to Nantes to collect belongings etc.

I appreciate those in charge of the clubs finances aren't just going to pay but I also find it incredibly hard to believe any decision will come out in our favour.
    Marcus Bent was announced on the club website but ended up a Birmingham player.

But I don't know what is happening with the case any more. Think Nantes have done more publicly to show respect to the player but hope both clubs focus is on supporting the family first and foremost.

Cardiff City FC have conducted themselves properly since the tragic accident and the fact that Emiliano's family have had to suffer the long wait for justice is no fault of CCFC.

If people have done wrong then the process of bringing them to justice should be allowed to take its course.

I think that's the whole point isn't it ?
    If this allegation is true then he was still a Nantes player when he died.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    So if he was legally ours don’t we get insurance to cover it? I would have thought that’s standard procedure
    This WOL piece from almost 2 years ago covers most of the contentious issues (and there are loads of other pieces from the football insurance press and general media online). What it doesn't deal with is Emiliano Sala's personal insurance position (very relevant to his immediate family now) which I have seen discussed elsewhere. If he was a properly transferred and registered EPL player with Cardiff he was fully covered. If not the insurers would dispute liability. My understanding (maybe wrong) is that they are disputing liability and his family have not received anything from that source - but where the fault for that lies is at the heart of the CIS case.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...tract-15941596