+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stan and Ollie

Stan and Ollie

Watched it for the 1st time last night. Absolutely brilliant. Reilly and Coogan had them off to a tee.
    Quite sad in parts as well.
    Don’t think i’ve ever met anyone, of any age, that didn’t find them funny.

Re: Stan and Ollie

I took my dad to see this when the film came out three years ago. So pleased that I did. Dad had seen them live in the 50’s in Birmingham so it may well have been the tour that this film refers to. He said they were terrible. He was a big fan and he was sad that they were well past their best. We both really enjoyed the film.

My dad passed away last February.

I watched it on Friday night. Enjoyable film. I used to love watching them on TV when I was a kid.

Haven't seen it but saw it was on.

They were my late dad's favourites too, along with the Marx Brothers.

Charlie Chaplin had nothing on L&H for me.

Classic comedy.

International

Apparently being interviewed once Stan Lauel was asked if it was true that when they got paid for a film that he got 60% and Hardy only got 40%.
    He said it was and when asked why his reply was, "Because he's stupid."

Out of that era, I thought The Marx Brothers we’re head and shoulders above the rest with Groucho being the top dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I took my dad to see this when the film came out three years ago. So pleased that I did. Dad had seen them live in the 50’s in Birmingham so it may well have been the tour that this film refers to. He said they were terrible. He was a big fan and he was sad that they were well past their best. We both really enjoyed the film.

My dad passed away last February.
    Sorry for your loss,but i bet the film brought back happy memories.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Out of that era, I thought The Marx Brothers we’re head and shoulders above the rest with Groucho being the top dog.
    Oh yeah , completely off the wall humour

Like The Odd Couple , Walter Mattaue was a funny bloke

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I'll never know"

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I'll never know"
    “I could dance with you until the cows come home”.......”Second thoughts, I’ll dance with the cows until you come home”

International

“I could dance with you until the cows come home”.......”Second thoughts, I’ll dance with the cows until you come home”
    I don't want to be associated with any club that would have someone like me as a member

Just watched it, then saw this on the message board. Loved them as a kid is the 60s. John C Reilly is excellent as Hardy

A very sweet film. I was very glad that Herself and I went to see it when it came out. It's not often that I leave a cinema feeling uplifted, but this was one such occasion.

Love the absurdity of "excuse me please, my ear is full of milk"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKzL...termatkindhead

Indeed. Stan and Ollie leave me cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think even if you didn't like them the film is worth watching. Really well acted and well written (quite sad) story about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think even if you didn't like them the film is worth watching. Really well acted and well written (quite sad) story about them.
    Saw it last year, old fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Oh yeah , completely off the wall humour

Like The Odd Couple , Walter Mattaue was a funny bloke
    If my memory serves me rightly, there was an anecdote about Walter Matthau collapsing and Jack Lemmon rushing over and put something under Matthau's head as a temporary pillow - and when Matthau was asked if he was comfortable he retorted 'I make a living....'

I thought it was a delightful film and enjoyed it very much. I liked Stan’s line about all the former wives he had and the alimony he was paying, to the effect that he was never going to marry again, just find a woman he didn’t like and buy her a house.

Excellent film

It is a testament to their relationship that Stan continued to write scripts and sketches for them both long after Hardy had passed. Brutally sad.

I watched a documentary about Buster Keaton last week. I'd never really thought much about him, but he was a genius, an absolute genius. Physical comedy at its best. I laughed much more than I anticipated and was blown away by his story.

It's called The Great Buster - a celebration

Highly recommended

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Excellent film

It is a testament to their relationship that Stan continued to write scripts and sketches for them both long after Hardy had passed. Brutally sad.

I watched a documentary about Buster Keaton last week. I'd never really thought much about him, but he was a genius, an absolute genius. Physical comedy at its best. I laughed much more than I anticipated and was blown away by his story.

It's called The Great Buster - a celebration

Highly recommended
    yeah some of the buster Keaton clips really do stand up well still. absolute genius, especially considering how they achieved some of the shots without modern technology.

I showed my kids the Charlie Chaplin boxing scene from city lights a while back and they thought it was hilarious.

There's a lot to be said for that silent era. So long as we're mentioning the Gods, let's throw in Harold Lloyd.

Yes, Marx Brothers were genius. My dad, God bless him, introduced me to the Marx Brothers, Abbott and Costello, and Hope and Crosby. Forever grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    Yes, Marx Brothers were genius. My dad, God bless him, introduced me to the Marx Brothers, Abbott and Costello, and Hope and Crosby. Forever grateful.
    Without Groucho there would be no Hawkeye in MASH.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    If you can’t laugh at that clip ToBW posted, then i’m afraid there is no hope for you old fruit.