+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Most long passes in Championship

Most long passes in Championship

International

Re: Most long passes in Championship

But what constitutes a long pass, how long has it got to be before it is recognised ac such. Or to put it another way, how short has it got to be before it doesn't count?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But what constitutes a long pass, how long has it got to be before it is recognised ac such. Or to put it another way, how short has it got to be before it doesn't count?
    Quite. Even the best teams play good, effective long passes. What the stat doesn't say is how many long balls are hoofed up the pitch aimlessly.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Quite. Even the best teams play good, effective long passes. What the stat doesn't say is how many long balls are hoofed up the pitch aimlessly.
    Nor how many connect with a same team player and not the opposition. Effective and non effective passes stats regardless of distance would be far more informative.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Nor how many connect with a same team player and not the opposition. Effective and non effective passes stats regardless of distance would be far more informative.
    Yes, I hate unreliable stats.

International

An example is just those stats here. It says that we are 5th in the 'long ball' league but fails to mention that it helps to also make us the 2nd highest scorers in the league.

Hoof ball is fine as long as you are winning.

In fact with a little imagination you can start to call it playing direct

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Hoof ball is fine as long as you are winning.

In fact with a little imagination you can start to call it playing direct
    You can only get away with it for so long though Jim, as the teams who play that way are finding out to their cost when they come up against our style of total football.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    You can only get away with it for so long though Jim, as the teams who play that way are finding out to their cost when they come up against our style of total football.

The best pass City have payed this season in my opinion was Marlon Pack's for Harry Wilson's goal against Birmingham - was it a long ball? My answer would be that, as it covered about thirty yards, yes it was. It was a proper pass, but, especially in the first half of the season, too many of our long balls could never be classified as a pass.

Nothing wrong with a well placed long pass, as long as it isn't a aimless hit and hope it can be very effective.

I wonder what counts as a pass? There was a Man City goal a few weeks back where because the defender had touched it the attacker was offside, if the defender had hoofed it away (as ex-pros were saying he should have) would that count as a pass?

Ideally this stat would be broken down into:

- Long pass under pressure versus no pressure
    - Accurate long pass versus inaccurate long pass
    - Pass that invites pressure versus pass that doesn't

Both Flint and Morrison are occasionally guilty of lovely little headers which don't go very far but go into a place where they have three players and we have one.

I've come to quite like a hoof from Mozza

I watched that lot from down the road last week (sorry I can't say their name), and they like to hit it long a lot too. Just shows you can't believe all the hype. It works for them too.