+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stella

Re: Stella

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    It’s beer. There are no chemicals in it. Sometimes you’ll add an adjunct for flavour (coriander for example in a wheat beer) but in the case of Stella it’s just barley, water, yeast and hops.
    ..and glysophate. Only trace, but there nevertheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    What is used for finings? Egg whites? Fish bladder? Presumably the whole point is that they don't make it into the finished product anyway?

Given the pride that the Germans have in their beer purity laws - is there anything they do in Germany when makign lager that isn't standard practice elsewhere anyway?

I've not had a pint of lager since 2019. Don't miss it at all and when I smell it I do wonder - did I really used to enjoy drinking that?!
    The big brewers use fish bladders which is why they can’t call their beers vegan.

The Reinheitsgebot stated just the four ingredients water, barley, hops and yeast... I don’t know if finings were used as part of the process and that they weren’t considered an ingredient... their purpose (as I’m sure you know but maybe others don’t) is to bring clarity to the finished liquid

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Wasn't there some evidence that showed traces of Pesticide in some Lager-Beers?
    COUGH, COUGH......

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fren...e%20glyphosate.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post

I always knew you can’t trust the cheese eating, beer fiddling, surrender monkeys

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Don't they pasteurise the beer to preserve it?
    I think that (and filtering or centrifuging) is more to do with remove residual yeasts so there is no bottle, cask or keg conditioning going on. So more to do with getting a consistent product than stopping it going off. Bottle and cask conditioned beers are not pasteurised and are not usually filtered* so they condition in the bottle or cask and you can be less certain that the beer will taste the same in a month as it does today.
    It is natural for the flavour of beer to change over times. Many home brewers drink the first bottle a couple of weeks after bottling and think "that is OK", a month later, they get to the last bottle from the batch, when the beer has conditioned and it tastes great. That wouldn't happen if it had been pasteurised or filtered.

*In some cases breweries will filter or centrifuge the beer and then "bottling yeast" for bottle conditioned beers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Has the alcohol content been reduced to enable it to be competitively priced since unit pricing has been introduced?

Not as 'reassuringly expensive' as it used to be.
    It doesn't cost the same, and it doesn't taste the same either.

International

I worked for a major brewer for 25 years and am now a part owner of a craft brewery. I’m no fan of Stella but when you make it you don’t add chemicals... what ones does your friend suggest he adds?
    Thats why German Pils is so good, it is illegal to add chemicals to beer in Germany. They does things right!!!!

International

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Some do - I'm not sure about Stella - there's preservatives and colourings etc.
    I thought preservatives only went into bottled/canned beer to prolong its shelf life, like the added stuff to IPA when it was initially made to be shipped to the troops in the Rahj.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    What is used for finings? Egg whites? Fish bladder? Presumably the whole point is that they don't make it into the finished product anyway?

Given the pride that the Germans have in their beer purity laws - is there anything they do in Germany when makign lager that isn't standard practice elsewhere anyway?

I've not had a pint of lager since 2019. Don't miss it at all and when I smell it I do wonder - did I really used to enjoy drinking that?!
    It's not what the Germans do to it, more what they don't do to it. Drink draught Berliner Kindl or Dortmunder Tier for a session and you'll never want british lager ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I thought preservatives only went into bottled/canned beer to prolong its shelf life, like the added stuff to IPA when it was initially made to be shipped to the troops in the Rahj.
    You mean hops, they are preservatives.

You won't find Germans drinking slop like Carling. They wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Stella is disgusting; Heineken too.

I worked for a major brewer for 25 years and am now a part owner of a craft brewery. I’m no fan of Stella but when you make it you don’t add chemicals... what ones does your friend suggest he adds?
    Craft Brewery you say, I might drop you a PM about that

Any brewery we have heard of, is it local?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Craft Brewery you say, I might drop you a PM about that
    Don't tempt me into brewing my own

I've already been making my own jerky, preserves and it's just the next step

it is

Ive been working on moonshine for the last few months, only making hand sanitizer officer looking at going legit with the right licences as craft Gin's are massive business, i know someone local who has setup a legit craft gin business and he is doing great, he wont help me though as i will be in competition to him ( fair enough )

Home-brewed beer and homemade bread are both well worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    One of my neighbours works for the company that make it and he reckons that you could take the alcohol out of it and 5 pints would still make you feel a bit ill. They ramp up the chemical process at times of demand and its even worse then
    presumably that's the inbev brewery in Magor

Why don't you give a 'shout-out' to the name of your craft brewery?

Absolutely. Always try and suppport local independents.

I've always bought Tiny Rebel, Pipes and Glamorgan, Felinfoel etc.

In fact I've just picked a big delivery of Tiny Rebel which is always fantastic

Absolutely. Always try and suppport local independents.

I've always bought Tiny Rebel, Pipes and Glamorgan, Felinfoel etc.

In fact I've just picked a big delivery of Tiny Rebel which is always fantastic
    Have you tried any thing from these guys https://www.flowerhorn.co.uk/ ?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Have you tried any thing from these guys https://www.flowerhorn.co.uk/ ?
    No it's next on my list but I've heard good things

International

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    You mean hops, they are preservatives.
    I don't know but back in the 1800s they used to struggle to keep the beer good until it arrived in India, so they did 'something' to it. Hence the name India pale ale to tell people it was different. Not sure it is any more.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I don't know but back in the 1800s they used to struggle to keep the beer good until it arrived in India, so they did 'something' to it. Hence the name India pale ale to tell people it was different. Not sure it is any more.
    They made it stronger than beer brewed for consumption in the UK. Stronger beers take longer to mature and reach their best. I've just brewed a Barley Wine that will come out about 10% ABV, it should be ready to drink at Christmas. I didn't have to add anything or do anything different to other beers other than use more malt than for the 4 to 5% beers that I usually brew.

It’s in Toronto’s east end...I figured that it might be difficult for most on here to drop in for a pint. It’s only small... a brew pub with 80 seats and the brewery in the back... I’ve only got a small stake in it ca. 8% but I’ve worked in the alcohol industry all my life so when I got the chance it was a way for me to carry or vicariously living the dream through others..

If anyone is ever in Toronto then PM me I’ll share more detail