+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stella

Stella

Re: Stella

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    One of my neighbours works for the company that make it and he reckons that you could take the alcohol out of it and 5 pints would still make you feel a bit ill. They ramp up the chemical process at times of demand and its even worse then

Wasn't it once badly referred to as “wife beater" after some drunk too much and would go home and be abusive to their poor wife's ?

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    One of my neighbours works for the company that make it and he reckons that you could take the alcohol out of it and 5 pints would still make you feel a bit ill. They ramp up the chemical process at times of demand and its even worse then
    It’s beer. There are no chemicals in it. Sometimes you’ll add an adjunct for flavour (coriander for example in a wheat beer) but in the case of Stella it’s just barley, water, yeast and hops.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    It’s beer. There are no chemicals in it. Sometimes you’ll add an adjunct for flavour (coriander for example in a wheat beer) but in the case of Stella it’s just barley, water, yeast and hops.
    My neighbour disagrees with you...and he's worked there for years

There are lots of chemicals in beer, including alcohol. They are the product of the complex process of yeast converting sugars to alcohol.

Has the alcohol content been reduced to enable it to be competitively priced since unit pricing has been introduced?

Not as 'reassuringly expensive' as it used to be.

A pint of SA at 4.2% was considered seriously strong when I were a lad - I can't say I've ever been much of a fan of anything much stronger than that.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    There are lots of chemicals in beer, including alcohol. They are the product of the complex process of yeast converting sugars to alcohol.
    isn't everything made of chemicals then? you might as well complain it's full of molecules

I am not a fan of alcohol but even as a lad I always thought christ this stuff tastes strong , not for me , tastes like battery acid

Let's be honest if someone is going to stop drinking lager because it has gone down from 4.8 to 4.6 percent and switch to a stronger brew , they are an alcoholic and need to go and see their doctor before their liver packs in

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A pint of SA at 4.2% was considered seriously strong when I were a lad - I can't say I've ever been much of a fan of anything much stronger than that.
    Albright or Welsh Bitter at 3% or so was the mainstay bitter back in the day. Skull Attack was a feared drink.

My neighbour disagrees with you...and he's worked there for years
    I worked for a major brewer for 25 years and am now a part owner of a craft brewery. I’m no fan of Stella but when you make it you don’t add chemicals... what ones does your friend suggest he adds?

That’s how you make alcohol. You don’t add it

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Has the alcohol content been reduced to enable it to be competitively priced since unit pricing has been introduced?

Not as 'reassuringly expensive' as it used to be.
    That’s exactly why they do it as well as reducing their tax burden which is laid in 0.1 degrees of ABV. It’s why Carling went from 4.1 to 4% about 12-13 years ago...

You and your neighbour make it sound like the brewery is deliberately trying to poison its customers ! The process of making beer/lager is a natural chemical process. There is nothing illegal contained in it. They cant ‘ramp up’ the chemical process as you put it - they just make more to meet demand. If you drank five pints of any liquid in a row, including water, then anyone could feel a ‘bit ill’.

I worked for a major brewer for 25 years and am now a part owner of a craft brewery. I’m no fan of Stella but when you make it you don’t add chemicals... what ones does your friend suggest he adds?
    I wonder if they treat the water with salts and other minerals. That could be what he is thinking off when he says they add chemicals.
    Edit
    They could also add finings

That’s how you make alcohol. You don’t add it
    Yes but you said "It’s beer. There are no chemicals in it."
    You should have said there are no added chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Let's be honest if someone is going to stop drinking lager because it has gone down from 4.8 to 4.6 percent and switch to a stronger brew , they are an alcoholic and need to go and see their doctor before their liver packs in
    Reducing alcohol content by .2% will have a big impact on taste for many.

Their 4% stuff was the most vile lager you could get your hands on.

Yes but you said "It’s beer. There are no chemicals in it."
    You should have said there are no added chemicals.
    Some do - I'm not sure about Stella - there's preservatives and colourings etc.

I wonder if they treat the water with salts and other minerals. That could be what he is thinking off when he says they add chemicals.
    Edit
    They could also add finings
    They do add finings in some instances, you are correct, but you’ll also know that they’re not chemicals.

They do also treat the water so that it remains consistent but then again only with natural ingredients. A brewer will tell you that brewers water is the best water you’ll ever taste

They do add finings in some instances, you are correct, but you’ll also know that they’re not chemicals.

They do also treat the water so that it remains consistent but then again only with natural ingredients. A brewer will tell you that brewers water is the best water you’ll ever taste
    What is used for finings? Egg whites? Fish bladder? Presumably the whole point is that they don't make it into the finished product anyway?

Given the pride that the Germans have in their beer purity laws - is there anything they do in Germany when makign lager that isn't standard practice elsewhere anyway?

I've not had a pint of lager since 2019. Don't miss it at all and when I smell it I do wonder - did I really used to enjoy drinking that?!

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Some do - I'm not sure about Stella - there's preservatives and colourings etc.
    British brewers used (may still) add gravy browning for colouring, but that is based on burnt sugar, they didn't use artificial colouring. As for preservatives, the alcohol does that, no other preservatives are added.

Don't they pasteurise the beer to preserve it?

Wasn't there some evidence that showed traces of Pesticide in some Lager-Beers?