+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stella

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Stella

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I wonder if they treat the water with salts and other minerals. That could be what he is thinking off when he says they add chemicals.
    Edit
    They could also add finings
    They do add finings in some instances, you are correct, but you’ll also know that they’re not chemicals.

They do also treat the water so that it remains consistent but then again only with natural ingredients. A brewer will tell you that brewers water is the best water you’ll ever taste

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    They do add finings in some instances, you are correct, but you’ll also know that they’re not chemicals.

They do also treat the water so that it remains consistent but then again only with natural ingredients. A brewer will tell you that brewers water is the best water you’ll ever taste
    What is used for finings? Egg whites? Fish bladder? Presumably the whole point is that they don't make it into the finished product anyway?

Given the pride that the Germans have in their beer purity laws - is there anything they do in Germany when makign lager that isn't standard practice elsewhere anyway?

I've not had a pint of lager since 2019. Don't miss it at all and when I smell it I do wonder - did I really used to enjoy drinking that?!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    What is used for finings? Egg whites? Fish bladder? Presumably the whole point is that they don't make it into the finished product anyway?

Given the pride that the Germans have in their beer purity laws - is there anything they do in Germany when makign lager that isn't standard practice elsewhere anyway?

I've not had a pint of lager since 2019. Don't miss it at all and when I smell it I do wonder - did I really used to enjoy drinking that?!
    It's not what the Germans do to it, more what they don't do to it. Drink draught Berliner Kindl or Dortmunder Tier for a session and you'll never want british lager ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    It's not what the Germans do to it, more what they don't do to it. Drink draught Berliner Kindl or Dortmunder Tier for a session and you'll never want british lager ever again.
    But that's the point: I always assumed that stella, carling and the rest were somehow brewed differently to german beers. I'd assumed that the Reinheitsgebot indicated that other beers did have ingredients other than the basic 3. But as we've learned here - they don't. Clearly taste is a mattter of preference rather than fact, but I would drink any German lager over anything else (although I am not a fan of Kindl) and I am sure there must be a fundamental difference between German beer on the one hand and stuff like Carling, Stella or Fosters on the other. But it doesn't look like it is the names of the ingredients - the quality of the ingredients and the process from there on maybe, but not the ingredients themselves.

Interesting thread - it's made me want a beer for the first time in about 15 months!