+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff tower plan for demolished Guildford Crescent venues

Cardiff tower plan for demolished Guildford Crescent venues

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56170991

Developers want to build a 29-storey apartment block on the controversial city centre site where a music venue and restaurants once stood.

Re: Cardiff tower plan for demolished Guildford Crescent venues

Just what Cardiff needs, more flats

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56170991

Developers want to build a 29-storey apartment block on the controversial city centre site where a music venue and restaurants once stood.
    Just 29 floors....they are about to open up the canal on Churchill way too. So many houses and flats being built, the brains brewery site is huge too

Hadn’t realised Gwdihw was no more, that’s a shame.

International

Tsk tsk. Deary me! apartments not flats mate! Apartments!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Just what Cardiff needs, more flats
    It probably does.

Cities thrive on high density highly connected places

I think they could have done better here though and will be a shame

Worked there in one of those buildings from 1963-1965, J.K. White Motor Factors. Memories of my youth.

First Team

Why are developers allowed to rip the heart of city centres and replace them with these soulless and mostly inappropriate buildings? One of Cardiff’s charms was the mix of housing/ retail stock but that is slowly being eroded.
    I accept that change is natural as a city expands but just look at the monstrosities that have been put up in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Why are developers allowed to rip the heart of city centres and replace them with these soulless and mostly inappropriate buildings? One of Cardiff’s charms was the mix of housing/ retail stock but that is slowly being eroded.
    I accept that change is natural as a city expands but just look at the monstrosities that have been put up in recent years.
    cash, the developer might build 20 social houses and a community centre somewhere as a trade-off

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    It probably does.

Cities thrive on high density highly connected places

I think they could have done better here though and will be a shame
    What's the point of a city with nothing in it? Developers are hell bent on ripping any kind of originality out of the city to be replaced by soulless identikit blocks, Cardiff Council won't be happy until Cardiff is one long string of apartment blocks and chain restaurants

If the apartments are of good quality and a decent size, and there is consideration for parking then I don't object to that at all.

More height and more density in the centre will mean more venues and restaurants ultimately not less.
    There are too many low quality buildings and tiny pokey apartments already - if we insisted on higher quality standards and larger living spaces then it would be a benefit for years to come.

Interesting tht development in that area makes redevelopment of the prison perhaps more likely as well. Cardiff prison is old, overcrowded and occupies what is presumably some of the most valuable land in the City.
    A more modern facility, more suitable to encouraging rehabilitation could be built away from the city on cheaper land and the prision site redeveloped, opening up the bck of queen street station - and helping to link town and the bay together more.
    I'm sure someone will do it eventually

Does anyone remember CentrePlan 70. It was a futuristic look at Cardiff city centre, with plans for what the city would look like when it had been re developed.
    We have had St David's , St David's 2, The Capitol Centre (which is now basically empty, and was the result of demolishing the Capitol Theatre), the other centre that was on Queen Street which was soon redeveloped again. Two cinemas close in Queen Street, Lots of pubs gone too. And now loads of flats, where the old AA Building is, David Morgan, and those monstrous tower blocks for students. And the loss of the bus station.

I think its called progress, nothing to do with cash of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    If the apartments are of good quality and a decent size, and there is consideration for parking then I don't object to that at all.

More height and more density in the centre will mean more venues and restaurants ultimately not less.
    There are too many low quality buildings and tiny pokey apartments already - if we insisted on higher quality standards and larger living spaces then it would be a benefit for years to come.

Interesting tht development in that area makes redevelopment of the prison perhaps more likely as well. Cardiff prison is old, overcrowded and occupies what is presumably some of the most valuable land in the City.
    A more modern facility, more suitable to encouraging rehabilitation could be built away from the city on cheaper land and the prision site redeveloped, opening up the bck of queen street station - and helping to link town and the bay together more.
    I'm sure someone will do it eventually
    Reckon that Rapport family who own the land on Guildford Crescent had this in mind for years, which is why they panicked and tried to demolish everything on it as soon as they got a whiff of it being a conservation area etc.....can’t quite work out how a shiny block 29 stories high can incorporate the current facade but you never know. Be lucky if the owners get 1 parking spot each.
    Nice idea with the prison, not many places will want that springing up next to them mind wherever they decide to move it?

Why are they called "flats" when they usually anything but flat?

International

What's the point of a city with nothing in it? Developers are hell bent on ripping any kind of originality out of the city to be replaced by soulless identikit blocks, Cardiff Council won't be happy until Cardiff is one long string of apartment blocks and chain restaurants
    The plan is that if they can move everyone in to the centre they won't have to do anything about the miserable public transport they laughingly call a 'service' !

International

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Reckon that Rapport family who own the land on Guildford Crescent had this in mind for years, which is why they panicked and tried to demolish everything on it as soon as they got a whiff of it being a conservation area etc.....can’t quite work out how a shiny block 29 stories high can incorporate the current facade but you never know. Be lucky if the owners get 1 parking spot each.
    Nice idea with the prison, not many places will want that springing up next to them mind wherever they decide to move it?
    Incorporating the old facades is not a problem. In King William St in London they did it with a façade half the length of the street, it can look very attractive.
    Car parking would be 3 levels down probably, and that is easily achievable now without disturbing adjacent buildings foundations at all. No need for a batter to excavate the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Does anyone remember CentrePlan 70. It was a futuristic look at Cardiff city centre, with plans for what the city would look like when it had been re developed.
    We have had St David's , St David's 2, The Capitol Centre (which is now basically empty, and was the result of demolishing the Capitol Theatre), the other centre that was on Queen Street which was soon redeveloped again. Two cinemas close in Queen Street, Lots of pubs gone too. And now loads of flats, where the old AA Building is, David Morgan, and those monstrous tower blocks for students. And the loss of the bus station.

I remember CentrePlan 70. I was working for the Council at the time and I remember the huge publicity. The other big thing at the time was the Hook Road which involved improving Cardiff's road links by driving a major trunk road through the City. Hundreds of properties were acquired for demolition or blighted in advance of this proposal before it was abandoned. That was madness.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...drawn-15738028

The chain restaurants is the fault of the public that choose to prioritise price over quality and ethics/morals. You can't blame the council for that.

As for the identikit blocks, well that's where they do have to step in. Look at St David's 2 and the apartments above them - they're discreet and add to the area.

There's nothing wrong with having high-rise apartments it's how it fits in with it's surroundings and it's multi-use occupancy.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/l...-look-22059309

Plans have been approved for a 30-storey apartment tower on Guildford Crescent in Cardiff on the site of a former music venue.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/l...-look-22059309

Plans have been approved for a 30-storey apartment tower on Guildford Crescent in Cardiff on the site of a former music venue.
    seems like they've dropped the requirement for affordable housing as "the developers wouldn't have made enough money" as usual. They should be a lot stricter with these developments and don't let them work out of their commitments.

I think that the facade is being incorporated into this apartment block. The main concern for me is the quality of the build, space to live in and buy to let landlords need to be discouraged somehow.

No problems with city centre living in my opinion. It's usually the younger generation, up and mobile. Spending money in the city centre, not as likely to own a car and then cut centre thrives, that's the plan I suppose.

The back end of Guildford crescent was ****ed, not fit for purpose, it had to go

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post

Yes I do! And they had a very futuristic shop front on Queens Street.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hamble...7603523100997/

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Yes I do! And they had a very futuristic shop front on Queens Street.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hamble...7603523100997/
    fascinating stuff, the split on the investment costs and rents didn't seem very fair though

Who remembers the swimming pool?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Who remembers the swimming pool?
    Yup, wasn't there two or even three separate pools or am i imagining that?