+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff tower plan for demolished Guildford Crescent venues

Re: Cardiff tower plan for demolished Guildford Crescent venues

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    seems like they've dropped the requirement for affordable housing as "the developers wouldn't have made enough money" as usual. They should be a lot stricter with these developments and don't let them work out of their commitments.
    Don’t disagree with providing a % of the profits as contributions towards affordable housing but having developers provide the actual housing in high value housing is a massive bugbear of mine

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Don’t disagree with providing a % of the profits as contributions towards affordable housing but having developers provide the actual housing in high value housing is a massive bugbear of mine
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yup, wasn't there two or even three separate pools or am i imagining that?
    Male, female and mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Incorporating the old facades is not a problem. In King William St in London they did it with a façade half the length of the street, it can look very attractive.
    Car parking would be 3 levels down probably, and that is easily achievable now without disturbing adjacent buildings foundations at all. No need for a batter to excavate the ground.
    Car parking will not be from Level 3 down as there is no provision for any parking in the plans, not even disabled parking. 29 storey building and NO parking places. It's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Does anyone remember CentrePlan 70. It was a futuristic look at Cardiff city centre, with plans for what the city would look like when it had been re developed.
    We have had St David's , St David's 2, The Capitol Centre (which is now basically empty, and was the result of demolishing the Capitol Theatre), the other centre that was on Queen Street which was soon redeveloped again. Two cinemas close in Queen Street, Lots of pubs gone too. And now loads of flats, where the old AA Building is, David Morgan, and those monstrous tower blocks for students. And the loss of the bus station.

I think its called progress, nothing to do with cash of course.
    Did this involve a series of looped carriageways around the city part of which was Aberporth Road in gabalfa, which is why it's a wide dual carriageway?

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Car parking will not be from Level 3 down as there is no provision for any parking in the plans, not even disabled parking. 29 storey building and NO parking places. It's crazy.
    It's not crazy. People wont be able to have a car, and if they do they're going to have to park up in Splott, Adamsdown or Butetown if they want a free space, that's a bit of a stretch and not very likely. How will it cause problems when nobody is allowed to park in that area anyway. It's central, so i'm guessing the people that end up living there will use public transport or will walk to work. Exactly what we need.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Did this involve a series of looped carriageways around the city part of which was Aberporth Road in gabalfa, which is why it's a wide dual carriageway?
    Don't you mean Gabalfa Avenue?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Don't you mean Gabalfa Avenue?
    I do 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I do ��
    The same in Ely, Grand Avenue. Lovely space between the houses. Maybe that's just how they built back then, with space and a decent sized garden. It went shits up when they built Llanedeyrn and Pentwyn. I grew up in those areas and they're shitholes.

Incorporating the old facades is not a problem. In King William St in London they did it with a façade half the length of the street, it can look very attractive.
    Car parking would be 3 levels down probably, and that is easily achievable now without disturbing adjacent buildings foundations at all. No need for a batter to excavate the ground.
    It will look crap. Just look at the Altolusso. It looks awful

It does not blend at all

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Why?
    Why should there be social housing on nice estates where people work their arse off to afford a nicer place to live

It will look crap. Just look at the Altolusso. It looks awful

It does not blend at all
    I don't think it's supposed to blend, that would defeat the whole purpose of it i would've thought. It's difficult to make the connection between the new and the old on the Altolusso. They look like seperate buildings, although that obviously changes when you enter the building. Isn't that the intention of the design?

Why should there be social housing on nice estates where people work their arse off to afford a nicer place to live
    Disabled people have as much right to live in a nice place. They may have worked their arses off too. Or do you not want us living next to you and lowering the tone?

People in social housing don't work their arses off??

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Male, female and mixed.
    Had swimming classes with my school there. All three pools were used for beginners, kids who could swim a width and kids who could swim a length.

Developers knock down facade of historic Cardiff buildings in Guildford Crescent without planning permission

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...-city-27656387

Tsk tsk. Deary me! apartments not flats mate! Apartments!!!!!
    Condo, keep up

International

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Male, female and mixed.
    They'd need ten different pools now!

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Developers knock down facade of historic Cardiff buildings in Guildford Crescent without planning permission

Doesn't sound a smart move from them.

Can't say the facade was ever something I noticed apart from the paint. Just looked a bit like terraced housing didn't it? Maybe I'm wrong.

I took part in the demo opposing the demolition of Guildford Crescent. There was a huge turnout and we were quite optimistic having fought off the attempts to close down the clubs in Womanby Street. When it looked like we had won again we were understanding cockahoop. When Rapport knocked down all but the facade it became apparent we hadn't won at all. It looks ridiculous and I can't see a 29 story apartment block making it look any worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I remember CentrePlan 70. I was working for the Council at the time and I remember the huge publicity. The other big thing at the time was the Hook Road which involved improving Cardiff's road links by driving a major trunk road through the City. Hundreds of properties were acquired for demolition or blighted in advance of this proposal before it was abandoned. That was madness.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...drawn-15738028
    I remember this so clearly even though I must have only been 6 years old at the time and in particular the CentrePlan 70 ‘shop front’ in Queens Street (as shown in the Wales On Line story)

Can you imagine if it has gone ahead? :-/

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post

This is an extraordinary turn of events. The facades have been kept up for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    They'd need ten different pools now!
    I always thought that that there were three pools as well! I think that I always went in the mixed one.

I learnt to swim there but it always has an ominous feel to it for some reason….

It is hard to believe that they fitted 3 separate pools into what felt like such a confined space.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I always thought that that there were three pools as well! I think that I always went in the mixed one.

I learnt to swim there but it always has an ominous feel to it for some reason….

It is hard to believe that they fitted 3 separate pools into what felt like such a confined space.
    Vending machines with OXO crisps

The developers probably made them unsafe so they could claim they were unsafe.

I hope someone senior at the developers get's locked up for this