+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cardiff tower plan for demolished Guildford Crescent venues

Re: Cardiff tower plan for demolished Guildford Crescent venues

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    The developers probably made them unsafe so they could claim they were unsafe.

I hope someone senior at the developers get's locked up for this
    That’s exactly what happened, facades akin to stage scenery left open to the elements for a few years. Nature took its course, no need for a fire. The plan worked.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Vending machines with OXO crisps
    Vending machine that sold something green and wet. Possibly some sort of chemical soup concoction. Those were the days when you could have a day out for 10p. A swim was 3p and the soup stuff 3p. 2p each way into town and back. Pocket money spent and had to wait a week before doing it all again.

Vending machines with OXO crisps
    Yes! In the rubbish entrance.

(Or chips from a chippy off Albany Road on the way home after swimming lessons if we were lucky)

Maybe they're the same builders who thought they create a shortcut to their site,by knocking down part of the Great Wall.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-66714547

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Yes! In the rubbish entrance.

(Or chips from a chippy off Albany Road on the way home after swimming lessons if we were lucky)
    The AFB (Albany Fish Bar) been knocking out good food for a long time. Can you remember the Chippie a few doors down from the AFB? Must've closed down late eighties, early nineties.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The AFB (Albany Fish Bar) been knocking out good food for a long time. Can you remember the Chippie a few doors down from the AFB? Must've closed down late eighties, early nineties.
    Dennis, the XL on Crwys Road was my Dad’s chippy of choice but the one that we used to go to after swimming when we were young was on a side street off Albany Road (Donald Street or Arabella Street maybe?) and the corner with Moy Roy maybe?

AFB was always decent though.

It WAS a long time ago now…… :-/

My parents also used to take us to The Albany Grill which I loved and was across the road from their stationery shop called Studio Graphic.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Incorporating the old facades is not a problem. In King William St in London they did it with a façade half the length of the street, it can look very attractive.
    Car parking would be 3 levels down probably, and that is easily achievable now without disturbing adjacent buildings foundations at all. No need for a batter to excavate the ground.
    When the campaign to save these buildings, of which there are few examples in the city centre, it was to save the buildings. Once they were demolished leaving just the facades it became a pointless exercise. They're not of great architectural interest in themselves, they were just examples of a type of building which has all but disappeared in the city centre. On that basis I don't think demolishing the facades would be any loss. It was the initial demolition which was the criminal act, albeit maybe not literally.

I've no idea, what King William Street look like but we have examples where architecturally interesting facades have been retained at the Custom House and Altholusso. IMO they look daft but at least those facades are quite attractive. Guildford Crescent will look awful with high rise flats fronted by bog-standard terracing. This whole thing stinks.

International

The Empire pool was better, straight off the bus annoy the people in the lotus garage by asking to sit in the cars, dive in backwards off top board, swim a width underwater and throw coins to the bottom of the pool in the deep end and try and dive down to pick them up!

The Empire pool was better, straight off the bus annoy the people in the lotus garage by asking to sit in the cars, dive in backwards off top board, swim a width underwater and throw coins to the bottom of the pool in the deep end and try and dive down to pick them up!
    Goldblatt and Webb

Yes, happy memories of teaching daughter to swim at Guildford Cresc. Long time ago mind you.
    Empire pool very handy when I worked almost next door. Able to slip in for a quick couple of lengths dinner time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Maybe they're the same builders who thought they create a shortcut to their site,by knocking down part of the Great Wall.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-66714547
    Well that's hardly likely is it?

The Rapport family are behind this I believe - they owned the land. MA Rapport Importers / Exporters sign is still on the wall opposite.
    The council could fine them - they wont give 2 sh1ts about that compared to how much they are going to make.
    I think it's a civil matter - so no jail time - whish is a pity - as if jail time was an option this may have deterred them.

Looked like it had completely gone by this afternoon. Was still some standing when I walked past this morning so more work took place today there.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Yes, happy memories of teaching daughter to swim at Guildford Cresc. Long time ago mind you.
    Empire pool very handy when I worked almost next door. Able to slip in for a quick couple of lengths dinner time.
    You might want to rephrase that….! :-/