Thread: Nice piece in Guardian.

Nice piece in Guardian.

Re: Nice piece in Guardian.

Good read

thanks for the link, good read

International

Every time someone says we are promotion candidates part of me thinks they're putting the kiss of death on it. It must be part of being along-time Cardiff fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Every time someone says we are promotion candidates part of me thinks they're putting the kiss of death on it. It must be part of being along-time Cardiff fan!!
    We don't need to worry about the Guardian.

Freitag has already got the 'kiss of death' prediction covered in the Bournemouth thread!

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    We don't need to worry about the Guardian.

Freitag has already got the 'kiss of death' prediction covered in the Bournemouth thread!

He's putting round pegs into round holes and square pegs into square holes.

Simples.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    He's putting round pegs into round holes and square pegs into square holes.

Simples.
    Have you ever put a peg in a hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, "you are awful, but I do like you"

The Oxford English Dictionary has as its earliest citation Albany Fonblanque, England under Seven Administrations, 1837, "Sir Robert Peel was a smooth round peg, in a sharp-cornered square hole, and Lord Lyndenurst is a rectangular square-cut peg, in a smooth round hole."

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    The Oxford English Dictionary has as its earliest citation Albany Fonblanque, England under Seven Administrations, 1837, "Sir Robert Peel was a smooth round peg, in a sharp-cornered square hole, and Lord Lyndenurst is a rectangular square-cut peg, in a smooth round hole."
    Would be interesting to know where the phrases originated. Here's one-Rule of Thumb-I've said it countless times but have no idea what it means.

Shows the class of this board, with other less salubrious messageboards you’re likely to see a heading ‘Nice Piece In The Sun’

Yes

Would be interesting to know where the phrases originated. Here's one-Rule of Thumb-I've said it countless times but have no idea what it means.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square...20round%20hole.

International

"The English phrase rule of thumb refers to a principle with broad application that is not intended to be strictly accurate or reliable for every situation. It refers to an easily learned and easily applied procedure or standard, based on practical experience rather than theory."

"The English phrase rule of thumb refers to a principle with broad application that is not intended to be strictly accurate or reliable for every situation. It refers to an easily learned and easily applied procedure or standard, based on practical experience rather than theory."
    We know what it means, but where did originate? Why is it rule of thumb and not rule of little finger?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    We know what it means, but where did originate? Why is it rule of thumb and not rule of little finger?

I didn't make myself clear snaggs, i know what it means, just don't know where the phrase came from

International

I didn't make myself clear snaggs, i know what it means, just don't know where the phrase came from
    I think it came from times when people were 'educated' in the modern sense, which is where things like a gross (144) came from (because it was the largest number you could count easily on the fingers of your hands).
    I think that the rule of thumb was another measure based on the principle that the average distance from the tip of a person's thumb to the first joint, measured on the top was roughly 1 inch. So small but important things could be measured by it. Similarly the distance from an adult male's finger tip to the tip of his nose was generally regarded as about 1 yard, and in the absence of a ruler or tape it was how drapers measured cloth. I can still remember as a child watching my mother buying net for the curtains and the vendor measuring it like that in the market.

This what I enjoy about this board, we can start with a conversation about an article in the Guardian that is about what Mick Mc is doing at Cardiff City and before long we are talking about the rule of thumb.

I think it came from times when people were 'educated' in the modern sense, which is where things like a gross (144) came from (because it was the largest number you could count easily on the fingers of your hands).
    I think that the rule of thumb was another measure based on the principle that the average distance from the tip of a person's thumb to the first joint, measured on the top was roughly 1 inch. So small but important things could be measured by it. Similarly the distance from an adult male's finger tip to the tip of his nose was generally regarded as about 1 yard, and in the absence of a ruler or tape it was how drapers measured cloth. I can still remember as a child watching my mother buying net for the curtains and the vendor measuring it like that in the market.
    Very interesting, Cheers Snaggs