I was. Just before Mick was appointed but was the bookies favourite I said I liked him a lot but didn't want him as Cardiff manager.

That was based on the assumption that it would be a long term deal and also based on my misunderstanding of what Mick had done and achieved in previous jobs - especially Ipswich in the last few years there.

I'm still not sure Mick is the long term answer - but neither do I think the manager appointment this summer is the only (maybe not even the main) factor in ensuring long-term success for Cardiff City FC.

Overall Mick has been a massive positive on and off the pitch. The no ego straight talking (he takes any blame, TC and the players get the credit), the formation change to suit the squad strengths, the tactical flexibility that goes with that, the ability to change things mid game (Harris lost that if he ever had it), the hands on coaching (obvious from club video clips and player interviews - most recently the excellent Will Vaulks post-Preston interview), the seemingly genuine interest in the Academy and most of all the man management skills shown with all the squad, but most obviously with Murphy.

It may be that younger players will not get fast tracked into the first team through the back end of this season (although Harris, Bagan, Brown and maybe Sang seem to have ensured bench positions) once the injury list clears up. But I have more confidence now with the quality and results from u18 and u23 teams on display, and with first Harris and Morison, and now McCarthy backing the fine words with action, that we are finally starting to grow our own team.

The main issues for the club are about clarity of strategy and direction and having the right skills and experience in place to deliver. I was in favour of a DOF and a young, driven and ambitious manager like Bellamy. But there are other ways to skin a cat, and if the Club has put in place new faces and deeper experience in the Academy, in the recruitment department, and in other coaching and staff roles, maybe we don't need that formalised on the Board or through a DOF, and maybe a grizzled and plain-speaking coach who has seen it all like Mick, is the right fit for the next few years?